[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

Hancock

I find myself often disappointed with big Hollywood blockbusters, but, I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was a unique take on a Superhero story. I like Will Smith & Jason Bateman, and I thought Charlize Theron was hotter than ever.

I did think the movie went from great to very good when Theron's character turned out to be the same as Hancock, but, I suppose it did help come up with a way to finish the plot.

Other than that, I have no complaints, and thought this was very entertaining and at times, very funny. Well done.

I think your review pretty much sums up what I said.... great movie for 3/4ths of it... then.. :wacko:

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hancock

I find myself often disappointed with big Hollywood blockbusters, but, I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was a unique take on a Superhero story. I like Will Smith & Jason Bateman, and I thought Charlize Theron was hotter than ever.

I did think the movie went from great to very good when Theron's character turned out to be the same as Hancock, but, I suppose it did help come up with a way to finish the plot.

Other than that, I have no complaints, and thought this was very entertaining and at times, very funny. Well done.

sorry Menudo- you missed the boat on this one- the first part was solid enough but the last half was so ridiculous and lame that all you can take away from this flick is a that it was a giant turd. The Theron part was laughably horrible.

Not a good movie at all

The Express

When I saw the previews for this one, I got excited, as it looked like it was going to be a good football movie. Then I didn't hear anything great about it from critics or friends. It only got a slightly above average review on IMDB, but, I was still looking forward to it. Well, I really enjoyed it and thought it was well done. I liked the story, and I thought the football scenes were pretty well done. It was definitely an inspirational movie, and I highly recommend it.

Appaloosa

Great acting + great dialogue = a fantastic movie. It isn't Tombstone, but, it ranks up there with any other Western that I've seen. It's not loaded with gunfights, though there are a few, but, the plot is character driven, and it well done. Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris, & Jeremy Irons are absolutely phenomenal. I found Renee Zellwegger and her character to be one of the negatives in the film. She simply annoys me (both the actress and the character). All in all, I loved this flick and would watch it again.

Saw Appaloosa this past weekend... meh. I would give it about a 5/10 at best. I'm a huge Western fan, but this movie didn't do much for me. Zellwegger was horrible, I thought. Mortensen, Irons, and Harris were all right, I guess (and I'm a fan of Irons and Harris in particular). I don't know... I just thought the movie lacked direction, had a few parts that were unbelievable and borderline lame, and ultimately disappointed me when it was done. I'd like to say that maybe I should watch it again, in case there was something I missed, but I'm afraid that watching it again would just confirm that it was a waste of time to begin with. :wacko:

Edited by Gopher

Saw Appaloosa this past weekend... meh. I would give it about a 5/10 at best. I'm a huge Western fan, but this movie didn't do much for me. Zellwegger was horrible, I thought. Mortensen, Irons, and Harris were all right, I guess (and I'm a fan of Irons and Harris in particular). I don't know... I just thought the movie lacked direction, had a few parts that were unbelievable and borderline lame, and ultimately disappointed me when it was done. I'd like to say that maybe I should watch it again, in case there was something I missed, but I'm afraid that watching it again would just confirm that it was a waste of time to begin with. :wacko:

agreed - they had the right idea, actors in place but blew the execution. Zellwegger and her character sucked - enough that when she was on screen it was borderline unwatchable and she flat out ruined the movie.

My Best Friend's Girl

I hereby vow to never watch a Dane Cook movie ever again. So, I'm in Chicago several months ago and go to a theater where you can get dinner, drink etc. I went to see "Burn After Reading", a great movie. While waiting at the bar for my movie to allow people to enter, the bartender says "I saw all of these movies, and "My Best Friend's Girl" is the best one. It is hilarious." So, I make a mental note to rent that when it comes out. Well, just like "Good Luck Chuch", this movie sucked. Sure, there are some funny moments and Kate Hudson is cute, but, the plot is lame and Dane Cook annoys the hell out of me. Like our former President said, fool me once, shame on.......me, fool me........you don't get fooled again.

Pride and Glory

I don't even remember seeing a preview of this movie, or knowing it was in the theaters, but, I'm a hugh Edward Norton fan, so, I figured I would check it out. I thought it was a very good movie. Corrupt cop movies have been done before, but, the acting helped push this one over most. Norton is phenomenal, but, I was also impressed with the performances of Jon Voight, Colin Ferrell, and Noah Emmerich. It was over 2 hours long, but, the time flew by, as the story didn't slow down. I did have one issue with the movie, which probably dropped my rating half a point.

In the bar scene, there was absolutely no reason to have Ferrell & Norton's characters fight. It was silly, and I wish that scene wasn't in the movie.

Other than that, I love it.

The Express

When I saw the previews for this one, I got excited, as it looked like it was going to be a good football movie. Then I didn't hear anything great about it from critics or friends. It only got a slightly above average review on IMDB, but, I was still looking forward to it. Well, I really enjoyed it and thought it was well done. I liked the story, and I thought the football scenes were pretty well done. It was definitely an inspirational movie, and I highly recommend it.

My Best Friend's Girl

I hereby vow to never watch a Dane Cook movie ever again. So, I'm in Chicago several months ago and go to a theater where you can get dinner, drink etc. I went to see "Burn After Reading", a great movie. While waiting at the bar for my movie to allow people to enter, the bartender says "I saw all of these movies, and "My Best Friend's Girl" is the best one. It is hilarious." So, I make a mental note to rent that when it comes out. Well, just like "Good Luck Chuch", this movie sucked. Sure, there are some funny moments and Kate Hudson is cute, but, the plot is lame and Dane Cook annoys the hell out of me. Like our former President said, fool me once, shame on.......me, fool me........you don't get fooled again.

Agree with both of these. Watched MBFG about a week ago... Lame. Jason Biggs isn't much better than Cook. American Pie was very funny... As expected, American Pie 2 and American Wedding were not as good, but still funny in parts. Everything he's done after that has been brutal. Another one of his flicks that I attempted to watch recently (turned it off after 30 minutes) was Lower Learning... unwatchable.

The Express was a very good movie. I would rate it easily in the top 10 sports movies that I've watched in the past ten years, and probably top 2-3 football movies. The fact that it's a true story, and one that not a lot of people know much about, makes it that much more compelling. I agree... 9/10.

3:10 To Yuma

This is a fantastic movie !!!!! I rank this one right up with "Tombstone" and "Unforgiven" as far as new age Westerns go. The plot had a lot of action, which kept the movie entertaining, but, what made this movie phenomenal were the performances of Russell Crowe, as the villain and Christian Bale as the rancher trying to deliver him to justice. The dialogue between these two was incredible. Russell Crowe's character becomes the villain that part of you likes. He goes from clever to evil and back to clever in an instant. The supporting cast also did a great job. This was definitely one of the better movies I've watched recently, and as you can tell, I've been in a movie watching mood lately. :wacko:

Menudo,

I've never taken the time to thank you for these reviews. THey help populate my Netflix queue and I (we) appreciate it. Happy viewing and please keep it up.

:wacko:

By the way, I've cataloged the ratings on my first post.

• 2 weeks later...

The Incredible Hulk

I had heard so many different opinions on this one, ranging from completely awful to phenomenal. Well, I think it leans more towards the awesome side, but, doesn't measure up to Iron Man. Norton was great, as usual, but, it just didn't have the 'coolness' that Iron Man did. I did still enjoy it though. I thought the plot moved along pretty well and there was definitely a lot of action. I enjoyed it.

3:10 To Yuma

This is a fantastic movie !!!!! I rank this one right up with "Tombstone" and "Unforgiven" as far as new age Westerns go. The plot had a lot of action, which kept the movie entertaining, but, what made this movie phenomenal were the performances of Russell Crowe, as the villain and Christian Bale as the rancher trying to deliver him to justice. The dialogue between these two was incredible. Russell Crowe's character becomes the villain that part of you likes. He goes from clever to evil and back to clever in an instant. The supporting cast also did a great job. This was definitely one of the better movies I've watched recently, and as you can tell, I've been in a movie watching mood lately. :wacko:

Meh, I thought this was one of those movies with all the right characters and actors but the story never really got me to the level that I thought it would from the build up. This had all the pieces but just fell short. It's been awhile since I've seen it so I don't remember all the details... I just remember feeling a bit "meh" after it was over. The beginning and middle seemed so solid that I thought for sure this was going to be a blockbuster. It looks like it got a 8.0/10 on IMDB so some people might agree with me. Its really too bad though as the sets, characters, and actors all did a good/great job. The story just fell short for me somewhere.

The Incredible Hulk

I had heard so many different opinions on this one, ranging from completely awful to phenomenal. Well, I think it leans more towards the awesome side, but, doesn't measure up to Iron Man. Norton was great, as usual, but, it just didn't have the 'coolness' that Iron Man did. I did still enjoy it though. I thought the plot moved along pretty well and there was definitely a lot of action. I enjoyed it.

Menudo, is this movie too violent or scary for a 4 year old?

Menudo, is this movie too violent or scary for a 4 year old?

Personally, I think it might be. There is a lot of violence, and the bad guys and even Hulk would be scary for a 4 year-old.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Ten years ago, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this movie. Back then, I simply wanted action or comedy. As I've gotten older, I've learned to really appreciate character pieces, which is exactly what this movie is. Brad Pitt plays the confident, idolized outlaw, Jesse James, in the final of months of his life. Casey Affleck plays the weak, cowardly Robert Ford, who grows up idolizing and wanting to be like Jesse James, though he is basically the polar opposite in character. While Pitt is very solid in his role, Affleck provides a phenomenal performance. I've seen Affleck in a few movies now, and I'm very impressed with his ability. He is a much better actor than his brother, in my opinion. My only complaint with this movie is that at 2 hours and 30 minutes, it is a bit long. They could have probably made it 30 minutes shorter and still go the plot accomplished. All in all though, I really like the performances and the story, and enjoyed this movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Get Smart

I never really watched the original series, but, I'm a big Steve Carrell fan, and I had heard this was a good movie. I was very disappointed with the first 45 minutes of the movie. It wasn't terrible, but, I wasn't laughing at anything, and I was getting bored. However, the 2nd half of the movie really picked up the action and also had some funny movies. Anne Hathaway was hot in this movie, which added to the entertainment value. The action scenes were pretty well done and I was highly entertained during the 2nd half. All in all, this is a good but not great film.

While Pitt is very solid in his role, Affleck provides a phenomenal performance. I've seen Affleck in a few movies now, and I'm very impressed with his ability. He is a much better actor than his brother, in my opinion.

With that "Gone Baby Gone" movie directed by his brother, and this one, Casey Affleck has become a really compelling actor.

• 3 weeks later...

Pineapple Express

What can I say, these Apatow comedies are right up my alley, and as has happened in most cases, I loved this one. It was entertaining and funny throughout, and hilarious at times. I rate this one just slightly below Superbad & Knocked Up. Seth Rogen makes me laugh in every role he is in, but, James Franco steals the show in this one as the hilarious pot dealer. Apatow and crew score again, and I'm glad they seem to be making one of these movies monthly, or it least it seems this way, as I enjoy them.

Edited by Menudo