[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tales from deer camp

Jimmy Neutron

Feet of snow is preventing me from leaving for deer hunting today. In fact there are three bucket trucks below me at the truck stop headed to western South Dakota. More than 500 power poles are down and thousands without power. Rumor is floating around that they have found people dead in cars on the interstate. This was a doosy of a storm. We are talking about leaving on Monday. So I will be off to break some ice in the morning on a pond. The northern mallards came in last night from North Dakota. Green head for supper on Sunday.

I hope folks are ok up your way.

I also hope you're right about the northern birds. I don't bother hunting the local birds - I wait until the red legs start droppin' in from up north. Comin' in!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope folks are ok up your way.

I also hope you're right about the northern birds. I don't bother hunting the local birds - I wait until the red legs start droppin' in from up north. Comin' in!

Finally got in touch with the rancher where we hunt. They haven't left their house in five days. The drifts in the drive way are too big to move. No west river deer season for me this year. I do have an east river tag starting next weekend for local hunting.

On better note, my pond froze up, but we made it out goose hunting. We usually don't see these kind of numbers of geese until mid Dec. We are going to get an extra month of goose hunting.

Went out this morning with marginal sucess. They need to develop a feeding pattern then it will be game on. Saw 10,000 geese this morning. We also had some snows and blues, which we never get.

Finally got in touch with the rancher where we hunt. They haven't left their house in five days. The drifts in the drive way are too big to move. No west river deer season for me this year. I do have an east river tag starting next weekend for local hunting.

On better note, my pond froze up, but we made it out goose hunting. We usually don't see these kind of numbers of geese until mid Dec. We are going to get an extra month of goose hunting.

Went out this morning with marginal sucess. They need to develop a feeding pattern then it will be game on. Saw 10,000 geese this morning. We also had some snows and blues, which we never get.

I've got the bug for some fresh northern birds - send 'em along when your done. I'm hoping the water stays soft here for a few more weeks.

Good luck, gentlemen. Enjoy your hunts!

Feet of snow is preventing me from leaving for deer hunting today. In fact there are three bucket trucks below me at the truck stop headed to western South Dakota. More than 500 power poles are down and thousands without power. Rumor is floating around that they have found people dead in cars on the interstate. This was a doosy of a storm. We are talking about leaving on Monday. So I will be off to break some ice in the morning on a pond. The northern mallards came in last night from North Dakota. Green head for supper on Sunday.

Didn't have much luck...the weather just wasn't right. That storm that hit the Dakota's moved through Minnesota on Friday and we had the aftermath on Saturday for opening day. One of the worst I have seen. Temps were in the teens with a north wind at 20 MPH all day with gusts to 30. Throw in snow showers and it made for a rough day. I was able to make it 3 hours in the stand Saturday morning and 4 hours in the afternoon until dark. I didn't see a deer. The deer weren't moving. Sunday was about the same, but at least I saw some deer. I am going back up next Thursday for the

except we will be hitting it hard.

It was very windy for my hunts in North Missouri this past weekend. I formulated a plan and put some tree stakes in this old large tree and climbed up into this draw out of the wind and it worked to prefection as I had a nice 8 point come in just before dark. The bad news is I couldn't shoot him as I already took a nice 8 with my bow and you can only take one before gun season and one buck after gun season. I was hunting for does. It was still cool to see my plan work although I was not able to take a shot. Opening weekend of rifle season starts this weekend. Can't wait!

Went out to the ranch today, put out a couple of salt licks, poured some molasses on them, topped of the feeders, and did a better job of securing a tree stand. I may go sit out there in the stand on Saturday afternoon with one of my girls just to see if anything comes by.

This is legal?

It is in Texas.

We still can't hunt Sundays here. GHEY. :wacko:

No Sunday hunting here in NC also. Dumbest thing I've ever seen. What the flip is that all about? Being from NY, Saturday and Sunday were THE hunting days. BTW, I believe you can still use dogs to run deer here in NC. Personally, I think baiting and dog running is cheating, but thats just me.

No Sunday hunting here in NC also. Dumbest thing I've ever seen. What the flip is that all about? Being from NY, Saturday and Sunday were THE hunting days. BTW, I believe you can still use dogs to run deer here in NC. Personally, I think baiting and dog running is cheating, but thats just me.

I'm in Pa. What part of NC are you from?

Me and my 10 year old spent about 5 hours in the woods Sunday. Didn't see anything worth shooting. Did show her how to tell the difference between a deer track and a hog track. We also did a little bit of target practice. I shot my 454, she was shooting a borrowed .243. Then we stopped off at Pat Gee's for some BBQ. Pat's is a little shack with the best chopped beef in the world, though the public health office would close it down if they could ever find it. Her comment as we were pulling into the garage was "Thanks Dad, that was awesome."

Just another note to express how bummed I am that I won't be going out with my wife's male relatives after Thanksgiving this year. :wacko: I can't explain how much I enjoyed the few days I spent out at the camp last year. I enjoy the outdoors; camping and what-not... but I was surprised I had such a good time at the camp. Yeah, I didn't get up at butt-crack (or before) to go out for the hunt, but had fun just the same.

Have fun y'all... and I'll come share some stories this time next year.

Just another note to express how bummed I am that I won't be going out with my wife's male relatives after Thanksgiving this year. :wacko: I can't explain how much I enjoyed the few days I spent out at the camp last year. I enjoy the outdoors; camping and what-not... but I was surprised I had such a good time at the camp. Yeah, I didn't get up at butt-crack (or before) to go out for the hunt, but had fun just the same.

Have fun y'all... and I'll come share some stories this time next year.

I'll be leaving to go the the Abeline lease with Dad and my brother Thursday afternoon for a long weekend hunt. I can't wait.

I'll be leaving to go the the Abeline lease with Dad and my brother Thursday afternoon for a long weekend hunt. I can't wait.

What kind of terrain is out that way? My wife's family has a lease out in Louisiana about 2 hours north of Baton Rouge, near the southwest corner of Mississippah. Some bayous up on the river(s), some deep forest.

They have a "house" with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom... living room w/ TV and nice sized kitchen. Her Papa brought out a trailer and set if off to the side and built a patio cover over it. I got to stay in the camper :wacko: while the rest of the guys were in the main house. Breakfast in the morning, beers cracked by noon. Watched some LSU football, played poker at night. Good times.

Have fun out there.

What kind of terrain is out that way? My wife's family has a lease out in Louisiana about 2 hours north of Baton Rouge, near the southwest corner of Mississippah. Some bayous up on the river(s), some deep forest.

They have a "house" with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom... living room w/ TV and nice sized kitchen. Her Papa brought out a trailer and set if off to the side and built a patio cover over it. I got to stay in the camper :wacko: while the rest of the guys were in the main house. Breakfast in the morning, beers cracked by noon. Watched some LSU football, played poker at night. Good times.

Have fun out there.

A bunch of hills. A lot of mesquite, but also larger trees as well. We have several large ponds on the place and one "mountain" We also have two oat fields, one that is about 50 acres and another that is about 150 acres.

The "house" is a 40'x80' metal building with a sealed concrete floor. It has two full bathrooms, and two bunk rooms. It comfortably sleeps 18. We have a full kitchen with dishwasher as well as a clothes washer and dryer. We also have dircet TV.

Dad will sleep in, but have breakfast ready for me and my brother when we come in from the morning hunt. Lunch will be sandwiches. Dinner will be steaks grilled over mesquite in the fire pit.

Didn't have much luck...the weather just wasn't right. That storm that hit the Dakota's moved through Minnesota on Friday and we had the aftermath on Saturday for opening day. One of the worst I have seen. Temps were in the teens with a north wind at 20 MPH all day with gusts to 30. Throw in snow showers and it made for a rough day. I was able to make it 3 hours in the stand Saturday morning and 4 hours in the afternoon until dark. I didn't see a deer. The deer weren't moving. Sunday was about the same, but at least I saw some deer. I am going back up next Thursday for the
except we will be hitting it hard.

Pretty much the same for me. Nasty wind just wouldnt quit and made for some tough hunting. Nothing on saturday at all. One flag sunday morn on my way out to the stand. Went in for the Vikes-Pack and never did make it back out for the afternoon. A bunch of Steveweisers and the howling wind meant this guy was staying in :wacko:

Heading back up on friday to a different part of the state. Hoping for less wind and more deer.

Last day of Pa archery this Saturday. Started work early and stayed late yesterday, today and tomorrow hoping to have Friday off to hunt.:fingerscrossed:

There's a chill in the air and the boys are chasin' the girls. :D

Last day of bow. :D

The rut is definitely in here , took a young buck in hot pursuit. yummy.

Once the orange army gets in, the deer change their normal habits big time, head way deep into the hills and get a lot more skiddish.

There is a big guy I've been hunting for 2 yrs. here. I'm really hoping he survives the rifle season again. Got real close to arrowing him this week. Thinking of saving my rifle tag for late bow/ muzzle jes for him. :wacko:

Edited by Front Row

Last day of bow. :D

The rut is definitely in here , took a young buck in hot pursuit. yummy.

Once the orange army gets in, the deer change their normal habits big time, head way deep into the hills and get a lot more skiddish.

There is a big guy I've been hunting for 2 yrs. here. I'm really hoping he survives the rifle season again. Got real close to arrowing him this week. Thinking of saving my rifle tag for late bow/ muzzle jes for him. :wacko:

If he's been big for 2 years, chances are he'll make it through again, probly has a little niche to hole up in that noone would ever think to go near in rifle season. Hope you tag him.

Looking good for me getting Friday off. Might even get done in time tomorrow to hunt the last few hours before dark. Can't wait. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't killed a thing. I spent about 5 hours in the woods with my 7 year old this past Sunday. All that I've seen are little bucks too young to shoot. I've only seen one doe this year, and it was too early too shoot. My problem is I've been way too busy at work, and when I have had a chance to get out in the woods it has been windy as hell. I think the last three times I've been able to get out there weve had sustained winds of 10-15 with 25-30mph gusts. It has been a really strange season. It has been a bit warmer than usual. It seems that most all the deer around here are feeding at night.

Whatcha killin' boys?

First day of rifle season Monday. :D

Calling for snow changing to all rain Sunday night and Monday morning. :D

It's been a weird weather season here in Missouri for Deer hunting. Bow season was really hot. I bagged a nice 9 pointer though. It was very windy during firearms season but I did a couple stalks and got two nice does. Did a deer drive the last weekend of firearms season and my 8 year old son got his first deer a doe :wacko: I ended up shooting one of the does as well. There were 10 deer in that batch and my best friends son (9) got one of them and his father in law got one as well. So far we have shot 17 deer on my property but we like to take around 20-25. I still have 2 firearms tags (any deer and antlerless) and two bow tags (any deer and antlerless). Looking to take a nice mature buck still (they are out there cause I have the pictures to prove it). I am going out with the black powder this weekend and sitting on the food sources hoping to catch a big boy slipping on his game after the rut. If that doesn't work out I still have plenty of time to bag some with my bow or the late doe only firearms season, although I will be taking my son and letting him shoot first. Still have a youth season for my son to take whatever he wants. Lots of time left!

Edited by Hat Trick

Groceries $271

Groceries brought home after 3 teenage boys and 4 days - about $7 :wacko: I feel lucky to have not been eaten myself. Wow.

Gas for truck and ATVs - $210

Ammo and targets for the boys - $250

Jimmy being stalked by a coyote while on the toilet - priceless. :D

It's true. I was attending to business on a nice commode we constructed in a grove of cedars when I noticed a coyote come around a tree about 200 yards away. He could tell I was out of place, but could not tell what I was. He crouched down and belly crawled through the brush to 45 yards and stood up slowly and stared at me. I was downwind from him and dead still, so he couldn't ID me, but then he heard the boys back at camp and moseyed on out of there. Sadly, I'd taken my .45 off my belt for my trip to drop a bomb. The story would have been even better if I could have shot him while sitting on the john. :D

Bambi was pretty safe with our group. We were trying to get the boys their first deer, but they weren't fast enough to shoot the many deer we saw. They didn't care we went home empty-handed - they had a blast just seeing deer and doing a bunch of target shooting.

One proud papa note - my 11-year old was a little afraid of his shotgun recoil last year, so I only brought 2 boxes of shells for him. This year he loved it and was smacking clay pigeons pretty well with it. :D He got mad because he ran out of ammo so fast. :D

Good stuff!