[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tales from deer camp

Jimmy Neutron

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season started last week, but I still have a few weeks before I get to go. Between work, and kids activities I'm going to be lucky to go twice this year. I did see a really nice 10 point and a 6 point cross the street out by my parents house. They live on the lake, and there is woods all around. I came real close to taking my chances with my buddy the game warden and drawing down on the 10 point with my 1911.

I'm bummed I don't get to go out to my wife's family camp in Louisiana this Thanksgiving holiday. She doesn't have enough time off of work...

Last year, the guys in the family (wife's cousins, uncles, etc.) headed out (with leftovers in tow) to a camp about 2 hours north of Baton Rouge, close to the Misssissipah border. Since I'm an out-of-stater, my weekend consisted of drinking beer, watching football and hanging out at the camp. Did get to help pull a couple of bucks out of the woods (and cross a bayou on a little rowboat) and chase down some wild hogs. Such an awesome time. Will have to wait until '09. :wacko:

Ditto this year. :D

Plus, wife's grampa sold the camp so it may be a few years 'til I can go again.

Bumpski as its on here in Minny :wacko: Unfortunately, my weapon was silent during opener. Still a lot of hunting left, though...

How's it going for all the hunters out there?

60 dagrees and 30+ wind makes hunting not so good. If it cools down up nort should be good hunting this weekend.

bow i 've been passing up these 3 same spanker bucks. one of them may have to be sacrificed for food purposes.

Bumpski as its on here in Minny :wacko: Unfortunately, my weapon was silent during opener. Still a lot of hunting left, though...

How's it going for all the hunters out there?

60 dagrees and 30+ wind makes hunting not so good. If it cools down up nort should be good hunting this weekend.

bow i 've been passing up these 3 same spanker bucks. one of them may have to be sacrificed for food purposes.

I should have went hunting for eyes and skis on the Big V.

Opening was really bad, not only did the weather not cooperate (55 degrees and windy) we had to deal with Timberwolves. It seems a pack of them have settled into our area near Lake Vermillion. We heard them howling Friday Night. When we went into the woods opening morning at 5am, one of the hunters in our party heard them about 100 yards in front of him as he was walking in. He had about a 3/4 mile walk to his stand. He said he was a little nervous and was locked and loaded with the safe off. He ended up seeing 3 of them at different times Saturday morning about 40 yards from his stand. He whistled at one of them as it was running left to right and it stopped, turned and looked at him. They were pack hunting for deer. Its disappointing that they pushed deer out of the area. Deer aren't going to hang around with Wolves in the area. Out of 7 people, we only saw about 4 deer and no shots.

I am probably going to hunt the southern part of zone 1 where my brother lives near Mora. I doubt we will see Wolves down there.

I should have went hunting for eyes and skis on the Big V.

Opening was really bad, not only did the weather not cooperate (55 degrees and windy) we had to deal with Timberwolves. It seems a pack of them have settled into our area near Lake Vermillion. We heard them howling Friday Night. When we went into the woods opening morning at 5am, one of the hunters in our party heard them about 100 yards in front of him as he was walking in. He had about a 3/4 mile walk to his stand. He said he was a little nervous and was locked and loaded with the safe off. He ended up seeing 3 of them at different times Saturday morning about 40 yards from his stand. He whistled at one of them as it was running left to right and it stopped, turned and looked at him. They were pack hunting for deer. Its disappointing that they pushed deer out of the area. Deer aren't going to hang around with Wolves in the area. Out of 7 people, we only saw about 4 deer and no shots.

I am probably going to hunt the southern part of zone 1 where my brother lives near Mora. I doubt we will see Wolves down there.

I hear ya. I hunt north-east of Orr and I have heard wolves plenty and seen tracks. There's plenty of them up there and that's no good for the deer. Several years back, a buddy of mine shot a nice buck late in the afternoon. We tracked him until dark and then decided to bail and pick back up in the morning. As you might imagine, when we found the deer the next day, it was eaten from the shoulders down. Could actually see in the snow evidence of how the wolves attacked from multiple directions and finally took him down. Kinda cool to see (as it looked like a crime scene) but then again not so cool to lose a nice deer :D

Heading up this evening toward the North Shore. Hoping for better results this weekend although I see above normal temps and rain are in the forecast :wacko:

Good luck and shoot straight :D

My brother and I went to check out 65 heavily wooded acres with a 5 acre pond stocked with catfish and bass. The land is very thickly wooded, and is surrounded by and additional 300 acres of heavily wooded land on three sides. Some pastures beyond that, but a good 20 miles from any real development aside from ranches and farms. It has two springs, and a well on it along with 5 very nicely built stands, one feeder. It also has a nice little house with a full bath and kitchen that will sleep 6, and a little bunk house attached to the processing shed that sleeps another 4. Both the house and the bunk house come furnished. 20 minutes after viewing the property we called and made an offer. I just found out it has been accepted. The best part is it is only about 45 minutes from home so I can take off at lunch and hunt during the afternoons. :wacko: It hasn't been hunted in two years, but the people we are buying it form have kept it very well maintained. Their father pretty much built everything on it with his own two hands (and did a fine job), so they wanted make sure it was kept up. It just need to plant the clearings by the stands, get a few new feeders and a few bags of corn. It also has a ton of hogs, coyotes, and they've also seen at least two catamounts, and we saw one paw print a lot of scat from a catamount. They haven't put any feed out in the last two years, but there were still deer tracks and rubs everywhere.

My brother and I went to check out 65 heavily wooded acres with a 5 acre pond stocked with catfish and bass. The land is very thickly wooded, and is surrounded by and additional 300 acres of heavily wooded land on three sides. Some pastures beyond that, but a good 20 miles from any real development aside from ranches and farms. It has two springs, and a well on it along with 5 very nicely built stands, one feeder. It also has a nice little house with a full bath and kitchen that will sleep 6, and a little bunk house attached to the processing shed that sleeps another 4. Both the house and the bunk house come furnished. 20 minutes after viewing the property we called and made an offer. I just found out it has been accepted. The best part is it is only about 45 minutes from home so I can take off at lunch and hunt during the afternoons. :wacko: It hasn't been hunted in two years, but the people we are buying it form have kept it very well maintained. Their father pretty much built everything on it with his own two hands (and did a fine job), so they wanted make sure it was kept up. It just need to plant the clearings by the stands, get a few new feeders and a few bags of corn. It also has a ton of hogs, coyotes, and they've also seen at least two catamounts, and we saw one paw print a lot of scat from a catamount. They haven't put any feed out in the last two years, but there were still deer tracks and rubs everywhere.

Man, if I had some property like that I'd draw down on my own privates. Often.

In NW OK, the warm weather has really delayed our rut and has severely curtailed the deer activity during what is normally the best part of archery season. We finally had a good weekend this past (Nov 12-15) with decent chasing behavior and lots of new bucks we haven't seen before. I saw four monsters (>140") but did not have a reasonable shot at any of them. We took two medium bucks (one 8, one 9) and a doe this weekend. Rifle season starts next weekend and us archers usually stay out of the woods until after Dec. 1. Hope it cools off someday.

Last day of archery tomorrow and I have'nt clipped my release on the string yet. :wacko: Warm tonight for this time of year but I'll be out in the morning.

The good news is rifle season is only a little over 2 weeks away. :D

good luck boys

saw 4 buck and 5 doe saturday morning. Those doe were hot as firecrackers. The only deer that came in range though was a spike.

The weather has cooled a bit so the deer are movie a little more during the daylight hours. Helped my buddy fined the 180+ he just tagged. the mother is massive and darn near perfect i will try to get some pics to post.

Nice :D

One last go of it for me starting friday morn. Really hoping any precip will be snow this time. Have had more than enough of the rain this year :wacko:

Went on my first deer hunting trip last weekend. No hunting for me. I don't even own a gun. Apparently, my position was affectionately known as "camp bitch." :wacko:

Not a bad gig. Got to sleep in when the hunters were awake at 4:30 a.m., sat around the camp and drank beer in the afternoon when they went back to the stands and grilled steak and pork tenderloin in the evenings. A couple of the cats saw big deer, but they only took four does. The temperature there dropped about 30 degrees the day after we left. Guide said we just missed it.

Edited by Big F'n Dave

I helped my brother in law set up his elk camp a few weeks past. He hunts with a few others in the Big Hole area. A few of them get a bull every year. I dont hunt, but by helping set up the camp I am guaranteed some meat and a few bottles of Quervo.

Their tent system is pretty detailed. It gets really cold up there so they have wood stoves in the tent. It looked like a dam palace once we were done putting it up. I cant deal with the drunks and the snoring so I usually head home and leave them be.

I helped my brother in law set up his elk camp a few weeks past. He hunts with a few others in the Big Hole area. A few of them get a bull every year. I dont hunt, but by helping set up the camp I am guaranteed some meat and a few bottles of Quervo.

Their tent system is pretty detailed. It gets really cold up there so they have wood stoves in the tent. It looked like a dam palace once we were done putting it up. I cant deal with the drunks and the snoring so I usually head home and leave them be.

You're really from Idaho, aren't you? :wacko:

Here in about an hour I'll be headed west out close to Abilene. I'll be sitting in the stand in the morning. I'll probably just shoot a doe this time around unless I see a monster. If I shoot a doe I'll be using the .454 inside 100 yds and the .270WSM from 100-400 yds. There really isn't anywhere on our lease that you are likely to get a shot much farther than that. Now if I do see a monster the pistol is staying in the holster and the rifle is coming out, I don't care if it is at 20 yards.

I got a post-mature 9 with a drop tine. My brother got a small 10. Another guy on the lease got a 10 that would score about 152. I'm going back the week before Christmas looking for a few doe and a monster 11 the game camera picked up.