[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR/WR to start the draft

dirtdickens

Agreed. And very similar to my point quoted below. (Not that a degree of luck isn;t involved with any draft strategy)

IMO, it is generally easier to find WRs that perform later on or through the waiver wire, and especially in PPR leagues, there is a larger pool of WRs that contribute enough to put into a lineup.

oh, definitely...Fantasy Football is 90% luck and probably 96% luck in this case because he really put all his eggs in one basket...

but he took that league...so he gets to wear the genius hat for what he did..

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, definitely...Fantasy Football is 90% luck and probably 96% luck in this case because he really put all his eggs in one basket...

[Chief Dick] Fantasy Football is 95% luck and 5% luck. [/Chief Dick]

If fantasy footall is 90% luck then please explain the following events.

I have played 20 seasons in my FFL league - I have never had a losing record in 20 seasons (7-7 or better 20 straight years)

I have made the playoffs 18 times, made 9 Bowls, won 3 titles (there's your luck part only winning 3 out 9 Bowls certainly not 90% though)

In my IFL league I have played 16 seasons won 7 titles made the Bowl 9 times

In my CFL league I have played 13 seasons never had a losing record 13 straight years, won 6 titles made 7 Bowls.

I must be a keebler elf or a leprechaun then with all the luck I am having over a 20 year span.

I've said it several times in several threads over the last year, this WR/WR strategy is the best strategy ever. I think more people in every league should try this strategy out.

Leaving more stud RBs in the first two rounds for me. :wacko:

I've said it several times in several threads over the last year, this WR/WR strategy is the best strategy ever. I think more people in every league should try this strategy out.

Leaving more stud RBs in the first two rounds for me. :wacko:

How did that work out for those drafting Forte, Tomlinson, Turner, Barber, Westbrook, Portis, Kevin Smith, Jacobs, Ronnie Brown last year in the 1st 2 rounds.

Any strategy works just pick the right players and it doesn't matter if you go RB/RB, WR/RB, RB/WR or whatever.

I have played 20 seasons in my FFL league - I have never had a losing record in 20 seasons (7-7 or better 20 straight years)

I have made the playoffs 18 times, made 9 Bowls, won 3 titles (there's your luck part only winning 3 out 9 Bowls certainly not 90% though)

In my CFL league I have played 13 seasons never had a losing record 13 straight years, won 6 titles made 7 Bowls.

I must be a keebler elf or a leprechaun then with all the luck I am having over a 20 year span.

easy, you invented Fantasy Football...

...the man, the myth...the legend.....

How did that work out for those drafting Forte, Tomlinson, Turner, Barber, Westbrook, Portis, Kevin Smith, Jacobs, Ronnie Brown last year in the 1st 2 rounds.

Any strategy works just pick the right players and it doesn't matter if you go RB/RB, WR/RB, RB/WR or whatever.

honestly, out of all the RB's you listed, I avoided all but Forte and Brown in all my drafts....and Brown was my #3 RB in one league and I took him for a flex spot because I couldn't pass that up...

LT, Turner, Barber, Westy, Portis, Jacobs and K Smith were all on my avoid list....

my philosophy is that it's all about who I don't take rather than who I do take...

I'm a proponent of picking the best players to help you win your league regardless of position. I think these kind of discussions are interesting but never have painted myself in a corner by using a position strategy.

Edited by bushwacked

I'm a proponent of picking the best players to help you win your league regardless of position. I think these kind of discussions are interesting but never have painted myself in a corner by using a position strategy.

+1

Seems like just when I think to myself that WR-WR might be good for my draft spot, someone like Frank Gore falls to me in the middle of the 2nd round.

Yea, yea, we should get off of this topic and talk about YOU more. :wacko: I don't think Muto got enough attention as a child...

Your FFL League is a 2 team league.

IFL stands for Individual Football League so only 1 team in it.

CFL well that sounds like Canadian Football League so who cares?

Worked quite well for those of us with a combo of Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Ryan Grant, Ray Rice, Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, etc.

Anyone can pick a turd mock with hindsight.

Worked quite well for those of us with a combo of Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Ryan Grant, Ray Rice, Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, etc.

Anyone can pick a turd mock with hindsight.

Well considering Grant, Rice, Jones and Benson were not 1st or 2nd round picks last year try again.

You just made the case for WR/WR even more because you listed guys who went in rounds 3-6 just now.

You could have drafted 2 of the following in the 1st 2 rounds Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Wayne, Welker (in PPR) then landed RB's like Ray Rice and Benson in the 3-6 rounds.

Sounds pretty good to me.

ADP last year of Ray Rice was around 40-45

Grant was around 30-40

Thomas Jones was the guy no one wanted last year as he went around 60-70 ADP

Benson another guy no one wanted to take a chance on also 50-70 ADP

Try again smart one.

Edited by Henry Muto

Well considering Grant, Rice, Jones and Benson were not 1st or 2nd round picks last year try again.

You just made the case for WR/WR even more because you listed guys who went in rounds 3-6 just now.

You could have drafted 2 of the following in the 1st 2 rounds Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Wayne, Welker (in PPR) then landed RB's like Ray Rice and Benson in the 3-6 rounds.

Sounds pretty good to me.

ADP last year of Ray Rice was around 40-45

Grant was around 30-40

Thomas Jones was the guy no one wanted last year as he went around 60-70 ADP

Benson another guy no one wanted to take a chance on also 50-70 ADP

Try again smart one.

And you just reinforced my point that anyone can pick a turd with hindsight. With the power of hindsight, you homed right into those rather than the Ronnie Brown (ADP 32) Kevin Smith (38) Reggie Bush (48) McFadden (49) - oops, lookie there, I'm doing it again - HINDSIGHT. I know it's hard for someone that banks 50k a year from us normal FF people that have to actually wait for the season to end for hindsight to kick in rather than tap into the Mutopower of draft day hindsight but trust me, it happens.

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2009/a...TIME=1250308800

13. 2.01 Barber, Marion DAL RB 23.29 1 167 2321

14. 2.02 Portis, Clinton WAS RB* 25.19 2 178 2320

15. 2.03 Brown, Ronnie MIA RB* 31.87 5 129 2323

16. 2.04 Grant, Ryan GBP RB 33.47 1 120 2320

17. 2.05 Smith, Kevin DET RB* 37.77 10 195 2325

18. 2.06 Thomas, Pierre NOS RB 39.22 11 182 2319

19. 2.07 Bush, Reggie NOS RB 47.93 7 183 2324

20. 2.08 McFadden, Darren OAK RB 48.20 7 199 2322

21. 2.09 Addai, Joseph IND RB 50.99 1 401 2322

22. 2.10 Lynch, Marshawn BUF RB 56.08 14 192 2316

23. 2.11 Jones, Thomas NYJ RB 56.76 4 211 2321

24. 2.12 Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB 62.59 5 242 2313

25. 3.01 Johnson, Larry CIN RB 63.32 5 225 2319

26. 3.02 Rice, Ray BAL RB 64.96 7 318 2312

27. 3.03 Parker, Willie PIT RB 65.88 14 226 2317

28. 3.04 Ward, Derrick TBB RB 72.40 13 234 2302

29. 3.05 Wells, Chris ARI RB 79.24 5 268 2307

30. 3.06 White, LenDale TEN RB 83.06 9 333 2292

In the end any draft strategy will work if you pick the right players. It doesn't matter the positon. If you pick busts you lose if you pick great players you win. It really is that simple.

Damn...that's all there is to it? :wacko:

• 1 month later...
So would people consider picking Roddy White and Brandon Marshall with your first two picks a solid WR/WR combo? At 11.

I'd much rather take Rodgers if he were available and than either of these WR's...but neither of these guys are in my top 5 WR's, so I wouldn't take them there either...

I'd much rather take Rodgers if he were available and than either of these WR's...but neither of these guys are in my top 5 WR's, so I wouldn't take them there either...

Interesting. I'm looking for safe picks at that slot. Who are your top five? You'd take Larry over each of those guys? Probably Wayne right? I lean off Wayne because I'm targeting Garcon later. Plus like Atlanta's schedule over the Colts.

I'm actually looking to do a Ryan Grant/Roddy White back to back. I'm off taking a QB there and aiming to take Romo or Schaub coming back.

Interesting. I'm looking for safe picks at that slot. Who are your top five? You'd take Larry over each of those guys? Probably Wayne right? I lean off Wayne because I'm targeting Garcon later. Plus like Atlanta's schedule over the Colts.

I'm actually looking to do a Ryan Grant/Roddy White back to back. I'm off taking a QB there and aiming to take Romo or Schaub coming back.

I like AJ, RMoss, Wayne, Austin and Jennings....White is 6th for me...

I took Rodgers at pick 21 in a draft full of "experts" who run their own websites and the announcers hamemred me all draft long for taking a QB that early. When Romo and Brady went in the 5th and Cutler in the 7th they kept saying over and over "See this is why you wait on your QB and you do not take one in the 2nd round"

I thought it was solid value to get Rodgers at pick 21 but the "experts" thought otherwise.