[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers vs Jets - Divisional Round

Riffraff

A few more thoughts. After thinking this game over, I realised just how disruptive a good defense can be.

Look at some of the "unforced" mistakes the Chargers made. Basically, I think the Jets defense rattled the Chargers. The offsides, the bad snap, caused because the O linemen were worried about the blitz and how fast the Jets were coming off the snap? Rivers might have been feeling the blitz pass rush pressure? Then, the frustration of the Charger's offense into committing some other bad penalties, like kicking the challenge flag?

Then there was that head butt. I think that was because thyey Chargers D line and LB's were also getting frustrated. In short, the Jets threw the Chargers off their game. The Chargers came in as THE team that was so disciplined, getting so few penalties all year. Did they just implode, or was it what the Jets were doing that got them out of their game?

Many of the "unforced" mistakes might have been more than just "unforced" mistakes... I think it's a result of how the Jets attacked the SD team. How else to explain so many penatlies and mistakes? The frustration of Rivers was very apparent. He lost it. He was thrown off his game. Intangables I think it's called.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it from this Cubs fan, but institutional memory is a bitch. Plain and simple.

I had this same thought. The Bolts are the Cubs of the NFL. To play this poorly after the year they had is truly disappointing......again.

I hope I live long enough to see a Chargers Super Bowl win. Maybe next year.

Congratulations to the Jets and their fans. :wacko:

I had this same thought. The Bolts are the Cubs of the NFL. To play this poorly after the year they had is truly disappointing......again.

Hey Doc, no one understands that whole "institutional" thing better than Jets fans. We've been waiting a long, long time too.

I have to say, I do feel bad for Charger fans, and the franchise. I hate Rivers, I mean I really hate him, but until he came along, the Chargers were always one of my "other" teams. Fouts was one of my heroes. Coryell. The history of great recievers, then LT and Gates. Great players, easy to like. Back in the day, I even had one of the old powder blue spamshirts. I wish you guys had dumped Rivers , not Brees, and to Miami, not NO. Then hating Rivers would not be bittersweet. I could revel in his failures if he was a Phin. AFL. I always rooted for AFL teams. "cept the Raiders...

Oh well, twists and turns of fate.

PS: Reports on ESPN 1050 NY radio: Chargers players were shouting to the Jets that they didn't belong there, didn't deserve to be there during pregame warmups. Sure sounds like the Sparks were taking this game as a gimmee. No wonder they were gettin so peed off when they were losing. Karma is a beitch. Not feelin so sorry for SD or Bolts fans now. Always fun when a loudmouth gets a sock stuffed in his mouth.

Edited by Rovers

Well I wouldn't say the Chargers or Jets for that matter are the "Cubs of the NFL" - try the Cardinals for that. But as a Cubs fan watching my team 5 outs from the WS and their #1 ace on the mound I DID see a team collectively say to itself "how are we going to screw this up?"

I think the Bolts as designed right now have that issue.Stan Humphries and Bobby Ross are long gone and for some reason there's a monkey on the back of the Chargers. You really got a sense of it when Rivers went sprinting down the field to argue that INT he clearly had no chance of seeing live during the play. That was the panic you need to avoid and it hit him like a freight train.

And like Doc I don't want this to take away from what the Jets did yesterday.

You really got a sense of it when Rivers went sprinting down the field to argue that INT he clearly had no chance of seeing live during the play. That was the panic you need to avoid and it hit him like a freight train.

Also evident when Norv Turner ran 1/3 the way onto the field to argue that fumble.

Correction it was an "incomplete pass"...........not by a long shot. Home field advantage FTL

I think he was talking about the fumbled kick-off in the fourth quarter.

And I think replay got it right. He never had complete control of the ball. It was slipping out of his arm at impact. In super slow motion, it looked like he had it, but not in real-time.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think he was talking about the fumbled kick-off in the fourth quarter.

That's the one.

agree. what the heck was he doing out on the field?

Not sure, that should have/could have been a penalty, no? I just think the Chargers was so desperate at that point, they lost all composure.

Kaeding kicked a ridiculous 55 or 56 yard field goal in week 12 that cost me a chance at a fantasy championship. Today he misses 3 FGs and cost me a teaser bet to close out a horrific weekend of gambling.

Nate, why don't you just knock me over the head and grab my wallet you POS.

unreal - for as solid a K as Kaeding has been- that was one of the biggest choke jobs I have ever seen in my lifetime.

He knew points were going to be tough to come by vs da Jets and ALL of his attempts would be key.

Just a total bed shatting, and he obviously doesn't have the mental toughness to get it done when it counts.

If i were a Bolts fan I would be sick

The Chargers have some serious issues with free agents coming up. Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Marcus McNeil, Shawne Merriman, and Darren Sproles are all free agents. They also have to make a decision on Tomlinson.

LT is history even if he offers to restructure. I don't see VJax, Merriman, or Sproles coming back either. Jackson got pulled over AGAIN before the game and was driving without a license. He almost didn't make it to the game and is turning out to be a real idiot. Merriman was also a distraction and underachiever this year. Sproles is too small to be an every-down back and will probably ask for more money than A.J. is willing to pay him.

Frankly, change for the Bolts could be a good thing when you consider how many players became playoff duds again this year.

LT is history even if he offers to restructure. I don't see VJax, Merriman, or Sproles coming back either. Jackson got pulled over AGAIN before the game and was driving without a license. He almost didn't make it to the game and is turning out to be a real idiot. Merriman was also a distraction and underachiever this year. Sproles is too small to be an every-down back and will probably ask for more money than A.J. is willing to pay him.

Frankly, change for the Bolts could be a good thing when you consider how many players became playoff duds again this year.

Sadly I agree. The Chargers need to have a final purging to make this River's team. I think there is enough "hidden talent" at WR to cover for VJax if he leaves.

The defense is the biggest issue and they need to fix it up front, especially in the middle. Jamal is a warrior, but his body seems to have given out on him. The pride of this team used to be that NOBODY ran on them.

Two biggest needs via draft or FA. RB and a nose tackle.

I was amazed how this "vetern team" lost their composure and played like the "green" team. I thought of Rover's post about divine intervention when they snap went over River's head followed by a delay of game... AT HOME :wacko: There was no excuse to lose that game, but I knew it was going to be a long afternoon right from the beginning.

I understood the reason for the onside kick at the end of the game. Kicking it deep meant killing clock time on at least three snaps and a first down still ends the game. Recover the kick, and there is lots of time for Rivers to for his thing. Stop them in three downs, you still have a long way to go against that D. It made sense to me.

Like I said before, I like Ryan and wish they had hired him instead over Turner. Go J-E-T-S! Good luck the rest of the way.

That's a lot of turnover, and new faces, to make the Chargers competitive next year. Especially with Norv at coach.

Other than Gates, what other "talent" do the Chargers have at WR? Buster Davis has been a bust. Malcolm Floyd is a free agent. Nanee is just, well, meh. If Jackson gets away, that's a lot of holes to fill. Even if the Chargers draft a WR, he'll be a project at the end of the first round.

That's a lot of turnover, and new faces, to make the Chargers competitive next year. Especially with Norv at coach.

Other than Gates, what other "talent" do the Chargers have at WR? Buster Davis has been a bust. Malcolm Floyd is a free agent. Nanee is just, well, meh. If Jackson gets away, that's a lot of holes to fill. Even if the Chargers draft a WR, he'll be a project at the end of the first round.

Who knows what A.J. has up his sleeve? :wacko:

One scenario would be to sign Floyd to a new deal and give Naanee a chance to be an every-down WR. Buster Davis could end up being the slot receiver.

Even if he's healthy, he'll take a while to develop.

And though Buster doesn't have the size of VJax, their careers have started curiously similar with the Chargers.

VJax will be back IMO. He's too important with Gates not getting any younger. I don't see us letting him or Sproles go.

Other than Kaeding and the mental breakdowns, the worst part of that game was the lack of touches for Sproles. He was excellent for us last post-season but never got a chance this time.

Everyone else is in limbo. With the uncapped year which is expected we could possibly keep everyone if AJ chose to.

Merriman was a huge disappointment. He'll need to prove himself another year before anyone pays him what he'll want.

VJax will be back IMO. He's too important with Gates not getting any younger. I don't see us letting him or Sproles go.

Other than Kaeding and the mental breakdowns, the worst part of that game was the lack of touches for Sproles. He was excellent for us last post-season but never got a chance this time.

Everyone else is in limbo. With the uncapped year which is expected we could possibly keep everyone if AJ chose to.

Merriman was a huge disappointment. He'll need to prove himself another year before anyone pays him what he'll want.

There was a big article in the U-T today about the effect of an uncapped year on the plans for all these players. Could be all but LT will stay. :wacko: