[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ODB this week

whomper

OBJ getting fined is a foregone conclusion, but now talk of possible suspension next week due to spearing Norman with his helmet as well as what looked like a missed punch. Should have been ejected, and the NFL may rectify it with a suspension. I don't care... I played against him this week and am cautiously looking at a win, but Beckham owners in the fantasy bowl have reason to be concerned.

That would be seriously fugged up if he cost owners a shot at the championship over immaturity.

Man i watched that game and that was sad.

Heard a lot of the Jerry Rice comparison talk. I can see the beginnings of ODB (can people please stop calling him OBJ by the way) forming a massive ego. Saw some iffy stuff from him in the past few weeks two. Great receiver on an OK, but a losing team, all the talk of him being the only threat on the Giants, a "once in a generation" talent, and he's only 23 years old. How could that not go to your head?

The frustration he showed today came from two sources IMO - one, flat out immaturity, egotistical beef with Norman. And to be fair, I don't think Norman is completely innocent here. I thought Norman really was the one who "started it" from the first drive. And in many of the beefs from that point on, Norman was just as physical if not more. I think the commentators/refs really downplayed how tacoty Norman played/behaved. But at the end of the day, it's not about who started it, and the worst moments are the ones that will be on sportscenter all week.

But the second source IMO is his competitiveness, frustration with losing, and the "culture of losing" the Giants have. How does this team go neck and neck with the Pats and Panthers but blows games to tacoty teams? The Giants never cease to amaze me. I'd think these games were staged/fixed if I didn't know any better (and TBH I'm not sure I do know any better...). I can see how ODB is frustrated with this, and rightly so. If this is coming from a place of competitiveness, that's at least a somewhat encouraging reason for his behavior to me.

ODB's career can go one of two ways, but NYG has always had a reputation for being an organization that doesn't tolerate guys like this (plaxico being the one exception, but he did shape up a bit during his time in NY, before the gunshot of course). I don't see them holding onto him (long term I mean) if he goes full T.O. But TBH, with Tom Coughlin, the absurd pattern of losing, and no other decent position players, I really don't see how he could want to stay in NY after a while (talking a few years here). I think this organization has serious problems from top to bottom, and this is (partially) a symptom of that. If the Giants pull their taco together, ODB pulls his taco together. If they don't, I see him eventually moving to another team. That's just my prediction.

Edited by pun

Man i watched that game and that was sad.

Heard a lot of the Jerry Rice comparison talk. I can see the beginnings of ODB (can people please stop calling him OBJ by the way) forming a massive ego. Saw some iffy stuff from him in the past few weeks two. Great receiver, OK team, but a losing team, all the talk of him being the only threat on the Giants, and he's like 23 years old. How could that not go to your head?

The frustration he showed today came from two sources IMO - one, flat out immaturity, egotistical beef with Norman, and to be fair, I don't think Norman is completely innocent here. I thought Norman really was the one who "started it" from the first drive. And in a lot of the beefs from that point on, Norman was real physical....

Norman was just as guilty. I was watching the game. But OBJ makes more sense ODB. ODB makes me think of Old Dirty Bastard.

Edited by Shaft

Norman was just as guilty. I was watching the game. But OBJ makes more sense ODB. ODB makes me think of Old Dirty Bastard.

OBJ is also his twitter name. I don't know why we'd stop calling him that if that is what he seems like he wants people to call him... Also, Norman wasn't nearly as bad as OBJ. I am not saying he wasn't at fault and I truly don't think this is my homerism bleeding through. He certainly was overly aggressive and deserves some of the blame, but he wasn't "just as guilty".

OBJ is also his twitter name. I don't know why we'd stop calling him that if that is what he seems like he wants people to call him... Also, Norman wasn't nearly as bad as OBJ. I am not saying he wasn't at fault and I truly don't think this is my homerism bleeding through. He certainly was overly aggressive and deserves some of the blame, but he wasn't "just as guilty".

they were both bad enough that it doesn't really matter who was worse imo

Notice how I put it - in some of the beefs, Norman was just as bad if not moreso than Odell. In others, Odell was worse, particularly after plays were over. Norman kept most of his tacotiness to during the plays, so it was a bit less pronounced. But at the end of the day, Beckham committed the "highlight reel" incidents, and those are the ones we will remember/talk about. Odell was worse overall, there's no denying it, but Norman wasn't an innocent bystander IMO. Not sure if I'd call the way he played "dirty" (as I'm not really even sure how you define "dirty" play TBH), but Norman kept the "dirt" to during the plays (and good for him for keeping his head straight), while Odell didn't, and that's why we'll be talking about Odell all week and not Norman.

As an example, I remember one play where Norman tackled Beckham and got off him real slowly, stood over him for a second, and that really provoked Beckham. Norman was a lot more subtle.

Edited by pun

I agree, OBJ was more guilty, poor choice of words on my part. But Norman got his shots in plenty of times. I blame a lot of this on the refs for letting it go on. I give OBJ the benefit of the doubt because he's only 23. There are kids in college playing at that age. But he needs to grow up fast.

I agree, OBJ was more guilty, poor choice of words on my part. But Norman got his shots in plenty of times. I blame a lot of this on the refs for letting it go on. I give OBJ the benefit of the doubt because he's only 23. There are kids in college playing at that age. But he needs to grow up fast.

Agreed.

All the good press he was getting and was going to get was all thrown down the drain with his BS acting like a DBag out there. He'll never be looked at the same. In fact, that's the kind of thing that teams make sure you don't last. Won't surprise me if his career is cut short at some point. There is a certain amount of respect out there and once you lose that, players don't pull up or avoid career ending shots. He's done watch. Someone is going to put him to sleep or send him to the ortho. Just a punk.

All the good press he was getting and was going to get was all thrown down the drain with his BS acting like a DBag out there. He'll never be looked at the same. In fact, that's the kind of thing that teams make sure you don't last. Won't surprise me if his career is cut short at some point. There is a certain amount of respect out there and once you lose that, players don't pull up or avoid career ending shots. He's done watch. Someone is going to put him to sleep or send him to the ortho. Just a punk.

Ummmm....spoken like a cowboys fan who doesn't have a history of donkey WRs.

Edited by Shaft

Ummmm....spoken like a cowboys fan who doesn't have a history of donkey WRs.

I don't recall any one of them taking cheap shots at players heads....like taking a 15 yard run and spearing a guy in the helmet while he's not looking. Or running by with a fist out like a jousting lance.

Edited by Cowboyz1

With this being the sports media's lead story for now, and talk of suspension in all the coverage, I think the NFL has no choice. They will be vilified by every talking head for being feckless. With all the rule changes the past few years in the name of player safety, it would be hypocritical not to suspend him. 50/50 says at least one official is suspended for not ejecting him.

As a Giants fan, I am embarrassed for our organization for OBJ actions on the field. I get the pushing and shoving. Football is a emotional heated game. I even get a hand to the face. But what Beckham did all days was BS. What makes it worse is he HAD to know they would have at least 3 or 4 cameras specifically on his match up with Norman so there was no way he would get away with anything. To me, it looked like he wanted to get thrown out of the game instead of trying to beat Norman.

If the NFL wants to send a REAL message, suspend him for the rest of the season. Send a message to the league that NO PLAYERS - even the elite ones - are exempt from the law. Fine him too.

Actions like his have no place in the game. If he is not ashamed of himself and this happens again, the Giants will trade him. They will not put up with him if he continues to make the organization look bad. Thankfully, there are a ton of teams who would gladly trade for him if that happens.

I hope he learns from this. He is still young and needs to mature. He has the talent and potential to go down as an all time great. But events like today will railroad that quickly if it happens again.

• Like 1

If it was just the one play, maybe. But he was an out of control thug today and the NFL is in a corner to do something more than a fine, given all the coverage. Someone in a league meeting will bring up "the message it will send to younger viewers" and that will be that.

I might get flak for this, but I think the officials need to be considered for suspension for letting this go on the whole game. Norman was involved heavily in the crap happening on the field. I would say OBJ was worse for two reasons: 1) that torpedo shot to the head, and 2) he was also getting in to altercations with Finnegan. I say suspend OBJ, Norman, and the officials!

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 1

Steve Smith was applauded for being an immature hot head. Why? Because he is short?

People are being way too hard on OBJ. He's 22 years old. He's passionate about football. He's highly competitive and handled Norman's mind games very poorly. I'm sure he'll learn from this. I guarantee he does. Some of you guys are hilarious with your character assessments of young men who are still growing into manhood, both physically and emotionally. Add in all of the adoration. I'm willing to bet many would struggle handling all of that without flaw.

Steve Smith was applauded for being an immature hot head. Why? Because he is short?

People are being way too hard on OBJ. He's 22 years old. He's passionate about football. He's highly competitive and handled Norman's mind games very poorly. I'm sure he'll learn from this. I guarantee he does. Some of you guys are hilarious with your character assessments of young men who are still growing into manhood, both physically and emotionally. Add in all of the adoration. I'm willing to bet many would struggle handling all of that without flaw.

you, apparently, didn't watch the game

• Like 4

I watched the game and I saw 2 competitive young men behave like A holes. My point stands. OBJ is 22 and obviously has some growing up to do. None of you armchair NFL commissioners can remotely know what it's like to be 22 with tons of adoration, cash, Madden covers etc.... Get over yourselves. I'm sure you were all perfect saints at that age.