[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting Mayfield observation

Dcat

By: Henry McKenna | 21 hours ago

There were a few things to like about Baker Mayfield during the first episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” But there was so much more to like about Jarvis Landry.

The Cleveland Browns receiver was set up by the showrunners to be the most likable character, not only because of his talent but also his persona. It’s so easy to like Landry, whose mentality upended the status quo of the Browns’ losing franchise during one of the receiver meetings.

Landry delivered an epic and exasperated speech. The veteran receiver seemed done with his position-mates taking off practices with injuries Landry seemed to think were fake.

“I don’t know what’s been going on here, but if you’re not hurting — like if your hamstring ain’t falling off the [expletive] bone, if your leg ain’t broke — you should be [expletive] practicing. That [expletive] is contagious and that [expletive] is contagious as [expletive]. And that [expletive] ain’t going to be in this room. That [expletive] has been here in the past, and the past is what it is. That [expletive] is over with here, bro.

Landy’s message comes in the same episode where the coaches make it clear: the Browns need to get tougher if they’re going to win a game in 2018, something they couldn’t do in 2017.

Landry and the coaches are on the same page. Mayfield, meanwhile, hasn’t gotten there yet.

The rookie quarterback got challenged by his coach Hue Jackson, and didn’t seem to rise to the occasion. Jackson approached Mayfield one morning at the start of practice to see when he woke up. Mayfield tried to dodge the question, but eventually explained he tends to get to the facility two hours before practice.

“You ever come in with your boy, [Tyrod Taylor],” Jackson asked.

Taylor is the veteran who Mayfield intends to beat in the quarterback competition. (During the episode, Landry touts Taylor for working tirelessly at every hour of the day by showing up first and leaving last.)

“He does his own little workouts in the morning,” Mayfield responded.

“Where’s your core workout in the morning? You start starting your career now. It’s a competition. Everything you do, baby. You know how they do it. Why not?” Jackson asked.

Mayfield walked away without a comment.

I repeat: The first-overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft was asked to work harder. And he had no answer but to walk away.

The show highlighted a nice drive by Mayfield where he demonstrated strong leadership and execution with the second team offense. But he was still running with the second team. Taylor, the man reporting to work earlier than Mayfield, was running with the No. 1 offense. Mayfield is still figuring out how to be a professional — and, frankly, an adult. That’s fair. He’s 23 years old.

Landry, meanwhile, has it figured out. He’s the hero the Browns deserve. He’s the one they so desperately need.

• Thanks 1

I hope the Taylor will have a great year.  He may have not been spectacular in BUF, but everyone on the Browns has an equal chance to turn things around.  Effort has to be given.  Just because you are #1 pick does not mean crap.

Many QBs have had success waiting a year so they can get a better understanding of NFL;  complicated offenses, NFL speed, working with high caliber players than what they faced in college, etc...

Landry will have a great season.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

By: Henry McKenna | 21 hours ago

Thanks, can't help but wonder if Mayfield also maybe tuning Jackson out a little cause honestly that man will not see another season there.  Probably shouldn't of even seen this one. 

• Like 1

From what I was reading earlier today that incident with Jackson telling Mayfield he needs to get there earlier and work harder made the point, and Mayfield has been making that effort. (What you saw Tuesday was probably filmed the week before).

Mayfield is not being handed anything, and he knows that. He isn't even getting to work with the first team, and that doesn't really bother him. He's had to prove himself at both stops in college, and he's prepared to put in the effort at this level. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/baker_mayfield_not_fazed_by_hi.html

Hue Jackson is an ass-hat and has no business being responsible for the career of Mayfield.

Mayfield is a billion percent better that Taylor and everyone knows it. Hue is trying to power trip everyone when he has absolutely no credibility to stand on.

The Browns need to fire him asap. HE is the guy who will hold them back. They have talent.

• Like 1

Another opinion, yippee.  Sounds like all the Browns fans online who want Hue fired, or Dorsey, depending on what single decision they've made the person strongly disagrees with (from drafting Mayfield to trading Coleman, to not cutting Callaway after the news of his run in with cops over the weekend). 

Dorsey is also fully behind the sit Mayfield for now plan, that may not last all season as they indicated would be the case. But not playing Mayfield right away isn't going to stunt his growth that much, and could actually be beneficial. 

As a fan of this team I'm tired of them blowing it up and starting over, that isn't a solution to 2 decades of bad plan and constant turnover. They finally have a real GM who has experience and some success, a great OC that will hopefully take some load off Hue and allow him to focus on HC duties. They added a ton of talent, but are still very young and raw. 

On 8/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, stevegrab said:

From what I was reading earlier today that incident with Jackson telling Mayfield he needs to get there earlier and work harder made the point, and Mayfield has been making that effort. (What you saw Tuesday was probably filmed the week before).

Mayfield is not being handed anything, and he knows that. He isn't even getting to work with the first team, and that doesn't really bother him. He's had to prove himself at both stops in college, and he's prepared to put in the effort at this level. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/baker_mayfield_not_fazed_by_hi.html

i kind of got the same type of impression....editing and cameras can sometimes only tell part of the story

from what i saw jackson did tell him he should be working out like taylor.....but just because mayfield ran off without responding doenst mean he didnt take his advice

It seems weird to me that it is expected that a player would be working out privately during training camp.  Isn't training camp rigorous enough without adding an extra morning workout?  If Hue thinks that a player should be working out more then why doesn't he make it part of practice?  And if I were Mayfield, I would want to come to practice fresh and filled with energy instead of being worn out from a 3 hour morning workout.

He's got a pretty good arm. I don't watch much college ball, unless Ohio State's got a big game, so I didn't know much about him. Training Camp's made me a belieber...I went to TC when Manziel was here and the difference is that Mayfield goes through his reads while Johnny took off running if choice 1 wasn't open.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, michaelredd9 said:

It seems weird to me that it is expected that a player would be working out privately during training camp.  Isn't training camp rigorous enough without adding an extra morning workout?  If Hue thinks that a player should be working out more then why doesn't he make it part of practice?  And if I were Mayfield, I would want to come to practice fresh and filled with energy instead of being worn out from a 3 hour morning workout.

It is more than just the extra workout, it is the 'first in the building and last to leave mentality".  I don't think  Mayfield is a slacker by any stretch of imagination, considering how he made as a walk on at two colleges and went on to win the Heisman and be an elite college QB. 

Taylor also took the initiative to work with Browns WR before camp, and paid the bill for much of it himself.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/07/how_tyrod_taylor_footed_the_bi.html

The coach had basically had to tell the #1 overall pick that the veteran QB is working harder and setting a better leadership example.   That has to be at least a bit of a red flag.  I'm guessing most of the other successful starting QBs took that upon themselves without being called out by coaches.

19 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The coach had basically had to tell the #1 overall pick that the veteran QB is working harder and setting a better leadership example.   That has to be at least a bit of a red flag.  I'm guessing most of the other successful starting QBs took that upon themselves without being called out by coaches.

You nailed it.  23 is not that old, and sometimes when your young, you need someone to "let you have it" to get you going.  Unfortunate but true.