[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

18 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

umm, what?

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly reports there's a "real possibility" Le'Veon Bell won’t report by the franchise tag deadline.

Bell tweeted Monday he was leaving his training spot in Miami. There were rumblings he planned to sign his franchise tag this week, but there's now a chance he sits out all season. Bell counts as a third-year franchise player in 2019 even if he doesn't sign, so his $25 million tag number will prevent the Steelers from franchising him again in the offseason. Bell will forfeit his remaining $6.84 million salary if he doesn't report before next week. Source: The Athletic
Nov 7 - 9:26 AM

so you don't have to play the six games to accrue the season to prevent being tagged again at the current year's level?

This is ridiculous. How could they wait all year to report this.

Reports are Bell is in Pittsburgh.  He was seen playing basketball at a LA Fitness last night.  I also thought this was very odd but backstory is that it is his typical gym when in Pittsburgh.  Back channels also believe that Bell plans to attend the MSU/Ohio St game this weekend in East Lansing and then report on Nov 13.

It looks like it doesn't really matter if he reports this year or not as far as whether he will be free to negotiate with other teams as either an unrestricted FA or under the transition tag so why not get paid for 6 games.  I guess the only insight is why would he come to Pittsburgh from Miami if he had no intention of reporting, he could have just flown to MSU on Friday for the game Saturday then back to Miami.

59 minutes ago, Def. said:

Well apparently no one understands what the NFL and NFLPA have negotiated, I'm not even sure they know.  :wacko:

And this is how we get rules that make "what is a catch" overly complicated. 

Actually those rules are far less complicated now, but contracts, tags and all that stuff are legal documents and other multi party agreements that are always quite complex. 

This whole story is fascinating, mind boggling and hopefully something that is clarified in time. 

Really sounds like Bell doesn't report at all, doesn't play this year and becomes a FA in 2019.

From the Huddle News

Le'Veon Bell - RB - Pittsburgh Steelers
Posted 11/8/18 8:41am ET 

Updating previous reports, Pittsburgh Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell would be franchise tagged at the quarterback level, around $25 million in 2019, not at the lower number he was tagged at in 2018, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. 'I've been told by both league and team sources that neither the NFL nor the Steelers have any plan to argue that the second tag should carry over, should Bell not play this year,' NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported. 'They are all in agreement that any potential tag would be the third (or the transition).'

Huddle Up: What does this mean? Bell doesn't have to report at all, and he's likely to wind up a free agent after the season. The team is unlikely to tag him at that rate or transition tag him. It's still worth holding onto him, but the chances are high that he sits the entire season.

There is a theory floating around that the steelers leaked to Bells camp that he actually doesn't have to report this year and that next years tag would in fact be at the 25 mil range. Very interesting. I can believe it as in my mind, thinking like a coach and or player, I've won 4 straight, my run game is killer , teammates love Conner, why would I want bring in this distraction and mess with the chemistry. Tell him not to show and he will be gone next year.  

Yup, saw that too. The language does appear to be vague, but is likely what everyone involved wants. Also agree with the team thinking. Why would the Steelers want to bring Bell back into the locker room now? And they save another 6.5m. They should bank it for Conner in a couple years. :)

I completely understand from the Steelers point of view just wanting to be done with him, let him leave next year and recoup comp draft pick.

From Bell's point of view, why wouldn't he come back.  Even if they sit him for 2 games and not pay him, he dresses for the last 4 and barely plays(or better yet Pitt deactivates him) and he makes 3.5M.  What happens if he doesn't come back??  He loses the 3.5M so he made $0 on his principal which is his prerogative but what if (big if) Pitt wins a Super Bowl.  He wasn't on the team = no ring.  

We know he cares about his future both financially and physically, he has preached about it even if cryptically for the last 3 months.  Does anyone believe that he doesn't care about his legacy?  He must realize he is probably going to a less than ideal situation next year, the money will be there but the talent surrounding him is not going to be close to that in Pitt.  His numbers will be fine and he will make the pro bowl and once again be a league leader.  But he might not ever see that opportunity for a ring again.  That missed opportunity has to be weighing on him

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

if he's a FA, he can sign anywhere. Would HOU give him the money? They could use a better RB and he could do well there.

Houston just spent a bunch of money for Demaryius Thomas so they won't have a lot available next year. Also any money they have should go to the offensive line to protect Watson.

3 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

omg lol

it never ends...

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports unsigned franchise player Le'Veon Bell is "in Pittsburgh currently."

Bell was apparently spotted playing basketball at a local gym. Rapsheet reports the Steelers have no clue if Bell is actually planning to report by Tuesday's deadline, but it would stand to reason that he is. Rapsheet also claims the Steelers "really want" Bell back. If Bell finally ends his marathon holdout next week, there's a chance he would be a healthy scratch for Week 11. We will know more soon.

Nov 8 - 6:03 PM

Is there any new info here? I feel like I'm on a roller coaster.

Supposedly, Bell has removed all associations to the Steelers on his social media accounts. 

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14268777-74/leveon-bell-removes-association-with-steelers-on-social-media-accounts

Although...

Steelers president Art Rooney II told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Thursday night that he expect Bell to play for the Steelers this season.

“I don’t know what his plans are, but I would say that at this point we would expect him to come back next week,” Rooney II said. “We know he’s back in Pittsburgh. We’re hoping to have some communication with him over the weekend.”

This whole saga is actually pretty amusing from an outsiders standpoint. 

The agent is and idiot, Bell is uninformed, Conner is just going out and doing his thing. 

I think the only only possible ending to this is to give Conner a big extension fully guaranteed, that would be the ultimate middle finger to Bell

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/11/07/leveon-bell-franchise-tag-could-quarterback-salary-number/1927122002/