[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need to think about it

WD85

1 hour ago, WD85 said:

So you propose a trade. Guy says “ouf that’s enticing” 

you wait 20 mins and ask “waddya say” 

he replies “I need to think about it“

what does that effing mean? 

I experience that every year with any trade proposals.

Owners like being approached, but may are very hesitant to act on a trade in any kind of timely manner.

I get a day to do some research, but after that either you like the trade or do not.  If not just say no and then I can make different offer or move on to someone else.  Dragging it on and making you ask for status constantly is frustrating.

BUT.....in you want the trade to happen you have to make nice as possible and then decide when to just retract offer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

offer similar trades to other league mates. When someone else accepts, the first d00shbag will feel a sense of urgency next time. I've taken less on such secondary trades to create a pattern... trade or get off the pot

A thought or two before pressing accept does not make you a d00shbag. No one is on anyone else's timeline on a trade. 

• Like 3

It you can't be patient enough for me to do my homework then I really don't want to trade with you. You approached me (not you specifically) trying to improve your team with your best interests in mind, not mine.

Some owners like to mix it up and trade a lot. Some prefer to build their teams through draft and free agency and those owners tend to feel more invested in their players, especially if it's a dynasty league. So it stands to reason they would be more cautious in making trades. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

It you can't be patient enough for me to do my homework then I really don't want to trade with you. You approached me (not you specifically) trying to improve your team with your best interests in mind, not mine.

Some owners like to mix it up and trade a lot. Some prefer to build their teams through draft and free agency and those owners tend to feel more invested in their players, especially if it's a dynasty league. So it stands to reason they would be more cautious in making trades. 

Being patient is a must for sure.  Agree dynasty.

I believe that most of us are on the page of owners (non-dynasty) have others owners sit many days and/or over a week.  When asked about status you get a brush off answer.  I do not think it is out of line to say if you are seriously considering it or not.

I learned over the many years and usually talk to owner after I send the trade to make sure they seen it and tell them that if they are not interested at all just reject the trade.  Most times it works, but sometimes it gets them thinking about it because they know I am serious about trading.

If you send an offer that is super crappy, then I will sit on it and drag you along as long as I can out of spite.

If you send a reasonable offer, then I will usually respond immediately, either by accepting, saying thanks but no thanks or engaging in some back and forth negotiations.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WD85 said:

So you propose a trade. Guy says “ouf that’s enticing” 

you wait 20 mins and ask “waddya say” 

he replies “I need to think about it“

what does that effing mean? 

it means he is going to use your offer to try to get better offers from others.  A good strategy, FWIW.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rajncajn said:

This.  And 20 minutes is not being patient at all.

Sometimes I need to do a lot of research or maybe get a little advice from a neutral party.

The trade is often not something the owner was planning, and some trade offers are intriguing enough to consider but not so great as to accept right away.

I rarely agree to a trade quickly. The guys in my league who trade a lot (especially with me) know that and will be patient if they want to get a trade done. 

If there is urgency in making the trade, express that and hope for a quick response. If there are other teams you can make offers to you can do that, can always let each owner know "I'm working on several different trades, and if others go thru I won't do this one."  

One last thing it is always better to talk face to face, or over the phone, or at least in email/msg instead of simply making trade offers thru the league site. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

One last thing it is always better to talk face to face, or over the phone, or at least in email/msg instead of simply making trade offers thru the league site. 

100% this - at least make an effort to engage in conversation to see if it is even close before just throwing crap in the league site and hoping for a misclick