[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Luke Kuechly retiring

irish

Just saw it scroll across. 

Great LBer, just too many injuries down the stretch. 

Wow didn't see that coming. 

Kuechly has had bad luck with concussions.

I guess he finally just decided enough was enough and it was time to take care of his health, not that I blame him.

A great linebacker and a class act. Sad to see him go.

1 minute ago, Wolverines Fan said:

If the Panthers decide not to bring Cam back, losing him and Kuechly would mean a total reboot for the team.

Luke already wasn't himself, playing nowhere near his probowl days and Newton was done last year. This season was the Panthers first year in rebuild mode already. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

I agree, and applaud him. I'm sure that wasn't an easy decision but it's the right one. He's had way too many traumatic brain injuries for someone his age. 

If it was me, I'd do the same thing, although I thought Kuechly should have retired a year or two ago after he had concussion after concussion.  But he still made a good choice.  64 million is an enormous amount of money if he's invested wisely.  

• Like 1

Very smart man.  Has upwards of over $35 million probably and his brain (hopefully) is not damaged to interfere with the rest of his life.

Great player.  Probably not enough service to make Canton, but an all time great for Carolina.

14 hours ago, irish said:

Luke already wasn't himself, playing nowhere near his probowl days and Newton was done last year. This season was the Panthers first year in rebuild mode already. 

Yeah, I own(ed) him in my "big" dynasty league.  Noticed a pretty pronounced dropoff this year.  

Still, it sucks to lose him in that league.  

That said, the guy's doing the right thing to put his health first.

17 hours ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Smart move! Great And smart player and a well spoken guy. NFL network and ESPN I’m sure are already reaching out to him for an analyst position. I see him being very successful in that endeavor in his next chapter of life.

I'm on another forum that talks a lot about broadcasting,and somebody there wondered if Kuechly might do that. A few others questioned if he's expressed any interest or even done much interviewing and speaking to the public. Somebody else said they felt he was usually a more quiet and reserved guy and may not be interested in or well suited to a career in broadcasting.  He is very bright, and knows the game well as a LB can probably provide a lot of insight breaking down plays, from what the defense sees to how they try to handle it. 

All the networks are going to keep looking for the next Tony Romo, so retiring players that are well known will be targeted regularly. Reports in the past were ESPN and others wanted Peyton Manning, but he said no, at least while his brother Eli was still playing. 

57 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'm on another forum that talks a lot about broadcasting,and somebody there wondered if Kuechly might do that. A few others questioned if he's expressed any interest or even done much interviewing and speaking to the public. Somebody else said they felt he was usually a more quiet and reserved guy and may not be interested in or well suited to a career in broadcasting.  He is very bright, and knows the game well as a LB can probably provide a lot of insight breaking down plays, from what the defense sees to how they try to handle it. 

All the networks are going to keep looking for the next Tony Romo, so retiring players that are well known will be targeted regularly. Reports in the past were ESPN and others wanted Peyton Manning, but he said no, at least while his brother Eli was still playing. 

Ya for sure who knows. The only thing I have to go off is some post game interviews through the years where he seemed intelligent and charismatic enough to give it a shot. Also has the golden boy good looks they usually like in a TV personality.