[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the toughest player in the NFL?

GhostFace

I think kickers are the toughest guys. They get picked on in the locker room, they get hurt when they try to make tackles.... they are geeks amoungst tuff guys. But when the game is one the line, nerves off steel must be the order of the day. Even after they win a game, and they get dizzy from helmet slaps, they eat dinner alone. Now, THAT is toughness!

Brett Favre...ok, so that should come as no surprise because I'm a GB fan.  But I just read an excerpt from his book, FAVRE on NFL.com, where he talks about his games played streak and the injuries he's had to overcome to play.  There are some tough players in the NFL, but I can't come up with anyone tougher.

553928[/snapback]

Not that you would happen to be a blind-ass homer or anything... :D

There are many that legitimately qualify (and I'm sure many more that we don't know about because they are the nameless, faceless role players and special teamers that don't make it into the news room).

But that aside, and with props to Favre (current) and Hacksaw Reynolds (yester year), my vote goes to the recently benched Travis Henry for playing on a broken leg last year.

I am going with Emmit Smith, and I am no fan of his. Think of all of the pounding that his body has taken over the years. He has carried the ball 4293 times and has caught 509 passes which means that he has been tackled approximately 4700 times and hit many, many more times than that. And the dude still put up a couple 100 yard games in this, his 15th (16th?) year. Man, it sure has to hurt for him to get out of bed every morning.

If we're going with skill position players, Steve McNair has to be up there. That guy has played - and played well - when he was severely injured. Favre has been amazingly injury resistant, but he hasn't played through the same sorts of trauma that McNair has.

By the way, I agree that if we had all the facts in front of us, some lineman would definitley win this contest.

I don't really think a QB is the toughest player in the NFL. I would say it is probably one of the guys in the trenches that is taking a pounding play in and play out and having to hit people....I guess maybe a defensive player.

Of Yesteryear, maybe not the absolute toughest, but certainly one of the tough guys that earns mention: Jack Youngblood. Here's text from: A bio page on Jack:

PLAYED THE SECOND HALF OF THE DALLAS PLAYOFF GAME, PLAYED THE ENTIRE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND THE ENTIRE SUPER BOWL XIV ON A BROKEN LEG.

and then he said (same source):

You learnt that, whatever you are doing in life, obstacles don't matter very much. Pain or other circumstances can be there, but if you want to do a job bad enough, you'll find a way to get it done.

Favre, McNair, Leftwich (in college), Travis Henry, Emmitt ... all good choices from today's game -- and this is the cloth they're cut from.

Of Yesteryear, maybe not the absolute toughest, but certainly one of the tough guys that earns mention: Jack Youngblood.  Here's text from: A bio page on Jack:

PLAYED THE SECOND HALF OF THE DALLAS PLAYOFF GAME, PLAYED THE ENTIRE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND THE ENTIRE SUPER BOWL XIV ON A BROKEN LEG.

Oops! :D It was Youngblood I should have mentioned (instead of Reynolds) as it was playing in the NFC title game and Superbowl with a broken leg that I was "remembering".

Thanks for setting me straight Donutrun.

Without Question ....... Hines Ward!!  :D  B)

554166[/snapback]

Ding, Ding, Ding !!!!

We have a winner !!!!!!!

:D:D:D

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kevin Mawae.

Plays center and hasn't missed a game in years. Breaks his right hand, then comes out the next week and snaps with his left hand and still kicks a$$. Tune in and watch him toss Ray Lewis around like a rag doll this afternoon.

Edited by Vet