[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breeds of Dog

Savage Beatings

..... they look a little funky if you don't dig the 'fro and it seems like they have to be clipped (sheared?) fairly often.

867940[/snapback]

Is that a dog or Seminoles you're talkin' about? :D:D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, my uncle has one and it's just a fantastic dog.  almost perfect for a family pet.  the only downsides are 1) they're not always easy to find for sale in many places, and 2) they look a little funky if you don't dig the 'fro and it seems like they have to be clipped (sheared?) fairly often.

867940[/snapback]

That's because they have hair and not fur. It will just keep growing. There are all different types of looks for this dog. The two I have are straight hairs. No fros.

• 4 weeks later...
my wife and i have a small dog rescue that we do out of our home in the evenings and weekends.... (we have wall to wall dogs).

i would greatly recommend a rescued dog- they really need the help (but then again i am biased).  every guy that we have rescued has turned out to have an excellent personality.  many breeder dogs come with issues and tend to have the personality problems...

good luck!

865951[/snapback]

I definitely agree. After having a rough life if you make them secure with food and love they often beam with gratitude. My 3 dogs all came this way and everyone thought they were excellent animals.

Guest THEbigred

We're looking for a non-puppy that doesn't shed and has a temperament that is very good with small children

865243[/snapback]

Oh well, the kid part wiped out my Jack Russell idea....(although that's one reason I like em ie we both hate kids).

Agree w/beagle. Don't shed much, love kids, and are excellent watchdogs, protective of family, etc. And whoever said they bark a ton, that's BS. It's all in the training. They do have the funniest bark I ever heard though. Pomeranian is also a dog worth considering. Great temperament, don't shed much, etc.

And these are just general FYIs.....I would definitely go w/a mutt also. :D

Rottweilers are the best.

Oh well, the kid part wiped out my Jack Russell idea....(although that's one reason I like em ie we both hate kids).  

911292[/snapback]

Jack's are fierce little dogs. My buddy uses one for 'coon hunting. When a 'coon gets into a space too small for the hounds to follow, he sends the Jack in. That little dog will drag out a 'coon 2-3 times its size! For those of you not familiar with the fight in a racoon, that's pretty :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

I had a manhood-a-poo (cocker spaniel and minature poodle mix) that was a GREAT dog for 15 years. Very bright, friendly, athletic and like to drink beer if your glass was on the coffee table or sitting on the ground. Didn't shed so had to get trimmed every few months which gave him a totally different look. When I got divorced, didn't have any kids, but ended up swapping BO every few months so we both could enjoy him. :D

Did I mention he was a great dog! :D

Edit to add: So I can't say Cocker without the "er" :doah:

You do the math :D

Edited by nogohawk

The AKC puts out an encyclopedia of dog breeds. It's well worth the $50-$70 for finding out facts about different breeds. If you have certain physical requirements (like no shedding), this book will tell you what you need to know.

It also classifies dogs into breed types, so that you have some general idea of what the dogs needs will be (hunting group versus working group versus terrier group, etc.).

As far as putting a dog ona a restraint system, it is really not a good idea to do so. Dogs don't understand and deal with the tethered life. A large kennel would serve your dog much better and give it room to move. Borders they can see are less stressful on dogs.

The AKC puts out an encyclopedia of dog breeds.  It's well worth the $50-$70 for finding out facts about different breeds.  If you have certain physical requirements (like no shedding), this book will tell you what you need to know.

It also classifies dogs into breed types, so that you have some general idea of what the dogs needs will be (hunting group versus working group versus terrier group, etc.).

As far as putting a dog ona a restraint system, it is really not a good idea to do so.  Dogs don't understand and deal with the tethered life.  A large kennel would serve your dog much better and give it room to move.  Borders they can see are less stressful on dogs.

911785[/snapback]

Thanks Nick... very helpful suggestions. So far we still have not made up our minds. We had a little financial hickup this last month so decided to wait a little bit longer and do some more research before we make any moves.

We used to have a part Mastiff, part Lab mix great with kids, awesome dog, but unfortunately she died about a year ago.

Now we have an English Bulldog and a Boston Terrier

Both are awesome with kids and do not shed hardly at all.  Unfortunately the Bulldog is rather mischevious and requires quite a bit of patience.  But she is worth it!!

868066[/snapback]

Blah. That is a cute little guy. English Bulldogs are my favorite.

Especially if you ever want your dog to attack a small a child. :D

911684[/snapback]

Never if you raise the dogs from pups, my guys have always grown up around my 4 kids, they are big babies. Just don't wander into my house uninvited. They are the most loyal dogs i have ever had. They would die for you.

• 5 months later...

Well, after a lot of discussion and no decision for the last 5 or 6 months, my wife finally surprised me last night by bringing home a puppy! I'm actually really glad she did. This is one of those decisions that is so easy to put off and put off, that you almost have to do it on the spur of the moment.

We got one of my absolute favorite breeds... a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. If someone has a place for me to post it, I'll share a picture with you. He looks like a little sausage with giant ears!

The consensus name ended up being Koda (from the movie Brother Bear). I was pushing for Dublin, but our 7 year old was having a hard time pronouncing it, so after about an hour of heavy crying we calmed her down with the name Koda.

Now the fun begins (sigh). :D

Edited by Savage Beatings

Well, after a lot of discussion and no decision for the last 5 or 6 months, my wife finally surprised me last night by bringing home a puppy!  I'm actually really glad she did.  This is one of those decisions that is so easy to put off and put off, that you almost have to do it on the spur of the moment.

We got one of my absolute favorite breeds... a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  If someone has a place for me to post it, I'll share a picture with you.  He looks like a little sausage with giant ears! 

The consensus name ended up being Koda (from the movie Brother Bear).  I was pushing for Dublin, but our 7 year old was having a hard time pronouncing it, so after about an hour of heavy crying we calmed her down with the name Koda.

Now the fun begins (sigh).  :D

1271643[/snapback]

whatever you do be consistent with HOUSE TRAINING!

if it wakes up TAKE IT OUTSIDE

after it eats TAKE IT OUTSIDE

when it wakes up at 2am TAKE IT OUTSIDE

when it wakes up at 4am TAKE IT OUTSIDE

when it wakes up at 5:30am TAKE IT OUTSIDE

we got a Miniature Pinscher back in sept(7wks old) I had her house broken at about 10-11 weeks...supposedly the min pin is tuff to house train but she wasnt that hard....only had like 3 pee accidents and on poop accident...

also if you see the dog has an accident and you didnt catch it while it was happening DO NOT REPRIMAND THE DOG

it will only cause problems...if you catch the dog MID LEG manhood/SQUAT just YELL NO and then take it outside IMMEDIATELY!!

Well, after a lot of discussion and no decision for the last 5 or 6 months, my wife finally surprised me last night by bringing home a puppy!  I'm actually really glad she did.  This is one of those decisions that is so easy to put off and put off, that you almost have to do it on the spur of the moment.

We got one of my absolute favorite breeds... a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  If someone has a place for me to post it, I'll share a picture with you.  He looks like a little sausage with giant ears! 

The consensus name ended up being Koda (from the movie Brother Bear).  I was pushing for Dublin, but our 7 year old was having a hard time pronouncing it, so after about an hour of heavy crying we calmed her down with the name Koda.

Now the fun begins (sigh).  :D

1271643[/snapback]

email me the pic chris@malibutextiles.com

Congrats and best of luck with the new pup. Try and email me soon im heading out in 10 minutes