[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Praise the Lord

Hugh 0ne

I read that there will be a lottery for the #1 pick.  Each team with an equal chance?

That Crosby kid is the next Mario, right?  I wonder if we'll see the NHL version of the Ewing Lottery (Bettman did come from the NBA).

867764[/snapback]

according to tsn.ca up here in Canada, the lottery will be weighted kinda like the nba draft

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129820

Crosby is scary , in two seasons in the QMJHL he had 135/168 points in a total of 123 games. heres a bit of a bio on him and the projected top 30 in the draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7329

Edited by The Darkside

And on a different note, maybe this isn't the thread for it...

But in hockey (and this goes for baseball too), you build a core group of players, and add to it when you can, in order to build a team.

When a team is struggling, they'll trade a veteran player to a contender for young prospects that hopefully will become part of the next core group of players. This type of trade makes sense for both sides, it happens every year, and money doesn't even have to have anything to do with it.

So, how do these trades get done with a salary cap?

Local rag was stating the agreement was well over 500 pages, and Dollar Bill Wirtz, like most owners, are going to go over every single word with a fine toothed comb.

The Hawks wouldn't have signed Yawney if they didn't know the season was going to be a go. I'm very happy for this.

And on a different note, maybe this isn't the thread for it...

But in hockey (and this goes for baseball too), you build a core group of players, and add to it when you can, in order to build a team.

When a team is struggling, they'll trade a veteran player to a contender for young prospects that hopefully will become part of the next core group of players.  This type of trade makes sense for both sides, it happens every year, and money doesn't even have to have anything to do with it. 

So, how do these trades get done with a salary cap?

867916[/snapback]

Well, many teams are below the cap, and oftentimes there are various exceptions depending on the agreement that allow teams to go over the cap.

If the team receiving the veteran is under the cap, then they can fit him in under the cap and the other team can take on the prospects salary.

Or, in the case of the NBA, thre is the mid-level exception, where a team that is at or over the cap can still offe its own free agents a total of $5.5 mill a year in a deal, whether it be for one or more players. Then I believe the trade exception is that if a team is over the cap, the salary's involved in a trade must be no more than 10% apart plus a certain amount, like $250K or so (not sure of exact figure or exact wording of the rule).

Basically most of the leagues have a soft cap, unlike the NFL with it's hard cap.

I read that there will be a lottery for the #1 pick.  Each team with an equal chance?

That Crosby kid is the next Mario, right?  I wonder if we'll see the NHL version of the Ewing Lottery (Bettman did come from the NBA).

867764[/snapback]

Let's hope the Avs win the lottery.

The NHL playoffs are as good as the NFL playoffs and much better than any other sports playoffs (MLB and NBA). Happy to see they finally got things worked out.

Edited by Men In Tights

The NBA can work these deals because only 1/3 of their roster matters, and you have 7 player trades with only 1 or 2 players really part of the deal.

The NHL doesn't have the "dead weight" guys making millions to trade in such transactions. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Here is a very in depth look at the NBA Salary cap rules.

868297[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that I don't care about the NBA salary cap rules. The NBA can make trades under their cap, because of all the dead salary weight on their rosters. The NHL doesn't have that, so these trades can't occur.

But perhaps we'll wait and see what the agreement looks like first.

Let's hope the Avs win the lottery.

The NHL playoffs are as good as the NFL playoffs and much better than any other sports playoffs (MLB and NBA).  Happy to see they finally got things worked out.

868192[/snapback]

chit, i just want them to be able to re-sign forsberg under this effin' cap, while keeping blake, sakic, foote and hejduk.

:D

However, my Red Wings will probably never be the same again. I haven't read the details of the agreement, but I'm assuming they can no longer behave like the Yankees of the NHL.

It's good for the league overall however.

The Pens have not had a problem identifying great talent and getting it on the ice, their problem has been paying it once it's initial contract is up. The new deal should give them cost certainty and allow for them to compete.

:D Hey SHeetsburgh, build them a new arena already!!!! You built the Steelers and Pirates new building and they haven't won crap since the late 70s. Pens won back to back in the early 90s.