[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Welcome to Wal-Mart

CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent.  They will help the poor and provide jobs for non-skilled and young/elderly employees.

Good news indeed.

1313853[/snapback]

I made mention in class today some recent research has indicated that Wal*Mart very likely helps poor people obtain goods that previously would have been unattainable for them.

I seriously don't get why people hate Wal*Mart.

I don't have a strong opinion about Wal-Mart either way. People who hate the company say the store forces smaller, privately-owned stores out of business because they can't compete with Wal-Mart's prices. The deteriorating downtown syndrome, at least here in the midwest.

Other people complain that Wal-Mart offers cheap wages and no health benefits.

According to a factoid on CNN, 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart. :D Wow.

I hate WalMart because the service SUCKS (at least at all the stores in CT). You can never find help when you need it, and the stores are continually wrecked. Shopping carts bouncing off of parked cars and dirty parking lots and floors. Then, when you finally get done "shopping," there is always the pleasure of a 15-30 minute register line.

Oh, and I almost forgot... I went to the self-service lane (no line) a few weeks ago. So I shopped myself, did all the work to do the purchase myself (saving WalMart labor expenses), bagged my purchase, and tried to leave the store. That's when their security guy stops me to verify the items on my receipt. You gotta be kidding.... I do all the work myself, and then they don't trust me? It was 2 bags of frackin' bird food.

I heard that some areas of the country have a SuperWalmart that supposed to be better. They can't be much worse than the stores around here.

I usually do, but sometimes there is no other option. And unfortunately, they aren't going away anytime soon.

Would you be willing to pay 50% more for your Bird seed and buy it somewhere else?

What if someone else couldn't buy milk with the extra 50% they had to spend on their bird food.

Oh, and Junktard, I hope you are a girl cause only rodgobblin homo's have birds.

I seriously don't get why people hate Wal*Mart.

1313864[/snapback]

Two reasons. The first is that most liberals hate capitalism. The second is that the stores tend to be dirty and congested. I have no problem with Wal-mart but given the choice I usually shop in smaller independent stores when I can. The customer service and lack of congestion more than makes up for the little bit of extra money I spend by doing so.

Two reasons.  The first is that most liberals hate capitalism.  The second is that the stores tend to be dirty and congested.  I have no problem with Wal-mart but given the choice I usually shop in smaller independent stores when I can.  The customer service and lack of congestion more than makes up for the little bit of extra money I spend by doing so.

1314799[/snapback]

Hey, while yer lucid, I've got a question about circular saws if you don't mind.

Hey, while yer lucid, I've got a question about circular saws if you don't mind.

1314807[/snapback]

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, not Walmart or Sears.

Edit to add: Fire away.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Oh, and Junktard, I hope you are a girl cause only rodgobblin homo's have birds.

1314302[/snapback]

I created a decent wild bird sanctuary on the back of my property... Personally, I think it's pretty cool to have everything from goldfinches to hawks and the occasional bald eagle around my backyard. If that makes me a rodgobblin homo in your opinion... I can live with that. :D

I love Wal*Mart because you never know what sort of crazy sh|t you are going to see or hear.

The Walmart closest to my home is the one that made the national news with people getting trampled back on the Friday after Thanksgiving (and it is the Walmart on the nice side of town).

In the past few months I have:

1) Seen a used home pregancy test kit laying on the asphalt in the parking lot (sorry, but I wasn't brave enough to go look close enough to see whether it was positive or negative)

2) Listened to a woman at the jewelry counter ask about 5 different people how long 30 meters was. She was trying to buy a watch for her husband and saw that the watch was water-resistant and wanted to know how deep he could go. None of the people she asked had any idea how long 30 meters was. So, me being the nice guy that I am went over and told her that 30 meters was about 100 feet. She then asked me if her husband would be able to wear the watch in their swimming pool. Seriously.

3) A few days ago I was using their automatic machine to enlarge some photos and I got to listen to a man talk on his cell-phone the whole time he was buying some CD's at the counter. His whole conversation was about how his girlfriend is smart enough to only work for cash so that they don't take away her foodstamps. I gave him one of those funny looks and shook my head in disgust, but he didn't seem to care in the least.

4) A few months ago when somebody first posted one of the links to the sex-offender databases I searched for people in my zipcode. Then a few days later I went to Walmart and happened to notice that one of the workers there looked familiar for some reason. One my way home it dawned on me why he looked familiar and I went back to the website and looked him up again. Then when I went back to Walmart a few days later I checked his name-tag and sure enough it was the same guy. (I did check and it seemed that he was convicted of the least severe sex offense, so maybe he just got caught peeing outside, or maybe he is a mass child-rapist who plea-bargained down to a lesser offense--stupid sex offender registration laws make it basically impossible to know the difference.)

Of course all of this can be ignored because, for example, they had an 8-bottle wine refrigerator on clearance for $25 (making it so that even the poorest person can serve their Ripple at the proper temperature).

all their crap was made oversea's hence rooning american jobs.

1314913[/snapback]

Did they ruin American jobs, or did unions which increase the cost of labor so much that American companies can't compete with over-seas companies?

all their crap was made oversea's hence rooning american jobs.

1314913[/snapback]

Another feather in Walmart's cap--providing food, clothing, and shelter to starving foreigners.

(it would seriously not be beyond the realm of possibility that Walmart has done more to help people in developing nations than most charitable aid organizations)