[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sledding down the Swiss Alps

wiegie

In Switzerland there are a few places where they shut down the roads in winter so that people can go sledding down them. One of these places is the road connecting the mountain villages of Preda and Bergün in eastern Switzerland (not too far away from St. Moritz).

This is a video that my wife and I made a few years ago of what it is like to go sledding down that road that perhaps you will find interesting.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3522426042111650196

(Sorry that the quality isn't all that wonderful--the original movie file is 2 gig and I had to cut it down to just over 100 meg to upload it (and thank you to Az for the advice on how to do this).)

That was awesome!!! My son and I watched the entire 10:42. Now he wants to go to Swiss Alps. They were flying down that mountain and making everyone look like they were standing still. Great scenery as well. They averaged 28 mph. I wondered what their top speed was. Had to be in the 40s.

Man that looks like a ton of fun. How fast are you guys going there?

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was one of the most fun things I have done in my entire life. Actually the whole thing is really cool. We stayed in a small hotel in the village of Bergün which is the town at the bottom of the sled run. The sled run we went down is actually the main road between Bergün and Preda, but they shut it down to traffic for most of the day so that people can go sledding down it.

To get to Preda (the town at the top of the run) you actually take the train (which is part of the main train route of the famed Glacier Express which goes between St. Moritz and Zermatt (where the Matterhorn is)).

One nice thing is that you can buy an all-day train ticket for less than the price of a ski lift-ticket and you can rent sleds in Bergün and basically spend the whole day just going sledding if you want. (The sled run is also open at night which makes for an amazing ride.)

As for how fast we were going--google maps indicates that the distance between the two towns is about 6.5 kilometers, but you have to walk a little bit at the beginning and the end, so my wife and I estimated that the entire run lasted about 4.5 kilometers, so that puts our average speed at about 28 mph. I'm not sure what our top-speed was, but it had to more than 40 mph.

All in all, an amazing experience and if you ever get a chance to do it, I recommend it.