[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As Seen On TV

nuke'em ttg

1-Plug any phone into Magic Jack

2-Plug Magic Jack into a USB Port

3-Pick up your Phone and talk for free

Wife got this yesterday and installed it this mornin......40 tacos to buy then 20 a year after that Local /Long Distance

Thoughts.... :D

I thought this was going to be about Jack Daniels and shrooms :D:wacko:

I did find this though so buyer beware

Edited by T_bone65

Does it work? Is that any lag? What about noise? I have seen it but it seemed like one of those to good to be true deals to me. I am interested in hearing about it. Oh and how do you get a phone number?

her Dad has had it for 2 months and loves it....he's a tech geek that has MS so his phone and computer are his legs.....so far so good I'll keep ya updated Skip when the chit hits the fan :wacko:

I bought this about 3 months ago. The device itself works perfectly fine. The only downside I can see so far is that it requires other devices that need to work in order for the MJ to work properly. If you put it on a crappy compy (like I did :wacko: ) then it's not going to work that well and it'll give you a sour taste in your mouth about it. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that it needs broadband service. If your internet service is shotty, then so will the MJ service.

I don't have the cash right now to buy a new/used compy so I have to live with it. But for the price it's not too bad.

I saw this infomercial on TV and was intriqued by the promises, as who wouldn't want to save a couple hunderd bucks per year. However, working for a Bank and being well aware of privacy issues, I realized that with voice traffic travelling over the net, it would possible mean someone stealing private information from monitoring phone calls on the net. Most people are not savvy enough to realize that there conversations may not be private and give out sensitive information, credit card numbers, SS #, etc. as you speak to legimate customer service rep from Citi, Discover, or the like.

I have been burned by ID theft and I realized you would only set yourself up for that, so I figured it would be too good to be true, as privacy is very important. Also, like the one link showed, there are plenty of other reasons why you may not want to ditch the good 'ole phone line to save a few bucks, like the 911 response you may need sometime.

It may work fine for some, but I can tell you I will not be joining the ranks of MagicJack owners anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... I can't find any complaints on line about magic jack being adware or causing pop-ups. Are you sure it's related?

I have no reason to defend them... I've just be researching different options to replace the home phone.

I think what I'm going to go with is:

A Yealink B2K phone adapter

And Skype service which is $2.95/month for unlimited calls, and $60/year for a local phone number that people call you on.

UPDATE

Magic Jack has been ripped outta the computer.....the pop-ups started slow then were spinning like a wheel Trojan Horse/Kernal warnings :D

Haven't had any popups since installing it. :wacko:

Hmmm... I can't find any complaints on line about magic jack being adware or causing pop-ups. Are you sure it's related?

I have no reason to defend them... I've just be researching different options to replace the home phone.

I think what I'm going to go with is:

A Yealink B2K phone adapter

And Skype service which is $2.95/month for unlimited calls, and $60/year for a local phone number that people call you on.

My brother in law has this phone and uses skype. He seems to like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone try to returning one of these things? They don't have my area code. I tried cancelling when they charged me $40 for a free trail but sent anyway.

They don't answer the phone, don't have email, live chat doesn't work and RMA denies order was placed.

They make you jump through so many hoops they hope you'll give up.

I hate these sleazy companies.

UPDATE

Magic Jack has been ripped outta the computer.....the pop-ups started slow then were spinning like a wheel Trojan Horse/Kernal warnings :wacko:

They should call it Magic Whitney

When I first saw it I said "Wow...Cool". But as like any other internet thing, my thoughts are " If it sounds too good or too bad to be true it's neither!"

Sorry for those of you that got took! :wacko:

I saw this infomercial on TV and was intriqued by the promises, as who wouldn't want to save a couple hunderd bucks per year. However, working for a Bank and being well aware of privacy issues, I realized that with voice traffic travelling over the net, it would possible mean someone stealing private information from monitoring phone calls on the net. Most people are not savvy enough to realize that there conversations may not be private and give out sensitive information, credit card numbers, SS #, etc. as you speak to legimate customer service rep from Citi, Discover, or the like.

If there's one thing the military taught me, it's that the telephone is the most unsecure method of communication there is. I think (repeat: I think) cell phones aren't as easy to tap as "regular" phones but not sure....and regardless I never give out SS, CC #s etc on the phone.

Which reminds me: Fidelity (investment co) is a joke in this regard. They were miffed when I asked for a password reset and wouldn't give them this kind of info on the phone, yet refuse to reset the password and send it to me via my email, or how about a link to click on which auto-resets it, which is far more secure. :wacko:

If there's one thing the military taught me, it's that the telephone is the most unsecure method of communication there is. I think (repeat: I think) cell phones aren't as easy to tap as "regular" phones but not sure....and regardless I never give out SS, CC #s etc on the phone.

Which reminds me: Fidelity (investment co) is a joke in this regard. They were miffed when I asked for a password reset and wouldn't give them this kind of info on the phone, yet refuse to reset the password and send it to me via my email, or how about a link to click on which auto-resets it, which is far more secure. :wacko:

Are you seriously this dense? :D Wow...

This one's secure and cheap too. :D

• 6 months later...
Are you seriously this dense? :D Wow...

tee hee giggle

Hello pot :wacko: If you think a phone line (which is easy to tap and requires no passwords to do so, never mind the possibility of others already on the line listening in or it being recorded, etc etc) is more secure than setting up some auto-password change via email (which despite your apparent beliefs is not so easy to "tap" assuming of course reasonable precautions like "good" passwords etc), you're more than a little stupid.

Anyway I bought MJ and installed several days ago - as I said on a dupe thread I'm letting die (thanks Big J) reception has been mostly poor so far. But I did read above a "good" net connection makes a big diff and mine is at times iffy (Roadrunner) so might be it. FWIW

PS they have online help (not just FAQ section but chat w/a rep) and they responded and helped instantly. Also they have 911 ability.

Edited by BeeR

tee hee giggle

Hello pot :wacko: If you think a phone line (which is easy to tap and requires no passwords to do so, never mind the possibility of others already on the line listening in or it being recorded, etc etc) is more secure than setting up some auto-password change via email (which despite your apparent beliefs is not so easy to "tap" assuming of course reasonable precautions like "good" passwords etc), you're more than a little stupid.

Anyway I bought MJ and installed several days ago - as I said on a dupe thread I'm letting die (thanks Big J) reception has been mostly poor so far. But I did read above a "good" net connection makes a big diff and mine is at times iffy (Roadrunner) so might be it. FWIW

PS they have online help (not just FAQ section but chat w/a rep) and they responded and helped instantly. Also they have 911 ability.

Find your red stapler yet? :D