[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Experts

Scorcher

We just rescued a 10 month old puppy, a chaweenie (not kidding) a cross between chihuahua and dachshund, who is sweet and grateful to be with us and our other dog but there is one major problem: he is chewing everything. He tore up the linoleum flooring in the laundry room. ( he sleeps there, so he did some major overnight damage ) Today he chewed a small hole in the carpet in the den. He is on his last leg with my wife. Any advice on how to stop this behavior? He's a great pet otherwise. Thanks for any advice.

Good info here.

Crating your dog while you are away & giving him a chew toy stuffed with treats during that time will help a lot.

CRATE, CRATE, CRATE!!!!

Bitter apple spray didn't work for our Airedale (RIP), but he did grow out of it around 18 months old. His crate became his home and place of comfort. He would often go there on his own to get away from everyone if he was feeling stressed.

We are finally replacing him later this month with a goldendoodle, wife didn't want another headstrong dog like the Airedale nor as large. Nice low shedding dog with a great disposition.

for the love of god :wacko:

My thoughts when I heard what he was, I just rescued him, I didn't breed him. Looking at your avatar, I guess a chiweenie isn't as rare as a "catstronaut"!

Edited by Scorcher

1) You are a saint for rescuing a dog.

2) That dog is not a chiweenie, no matter what anyone calls it. It is a cross-breed. Same thing for 'goldendoodles' and whatever other pure bred dog A was put to pure bred dog B resulting in a mix of genes that has no particular purpose other than our amusement.

Where did these sort of whacko named dogs come from?

From people that had a poodle and a golden retriever and decided they were tired of breeding pure bred poodles and goldens and selling them for $500 each, and decided to have some goldendoodles and sell them for $1000 each. It's economics, not a true love for the dogs.

If it were for a love of the dogs, then someone would breed multiple generations of something, attempting to lock in a particular phenotype, genotype and temperment, before trying to 'brand' it as something special and unique. It takes YEARS (decades, really) to put together an entirely new breed of dog, with locked-in phenotype, genotype and temperment. Anyone else that tells you different either has ZERO idea what they're talking about ... or has something they're trying to sell you (or something they're trying to justify).

Like some other said:crate crate crate.I had exactly the same problem you have with a male lab/dobie mix I adopted seven years ago.In my case it's separation anxiety.

If necessary,he can stay in every time you leave.It's not cruel,it's his own little den.He'll get in it on his own when you get ready to leave in no time at all.We get ready to go,Tobey's already in his crate.

I'd suggest a solid crate.They're more expensive than the cage type,but they'll have more of a den feel.

Where did these sort of whacko named dogs come from?

From people that had a poodle and a golden retriever and decided they were tired of breeding pure bred poodles and goldens and selling them for $500 each, and decided to have some goldendoodles and sell them for $1000 each. It's economics, not a true love for the dogs.

well the mix-names are usually pretty stupid, but the idea behind the breed crossing can be pretty smart. usually it's with a poodle, which is the reason for all the "poo-poo" names, but the good part is you end up with a mostly hypoallergenic mutt.

well the mix-names are usually pretty stupid, but the idea behind the breed crossing can be pretty smart. usually it's with a poodle, which is the reason for all the "poo-poo" names, but the good part is you end up with a mostly hypoallergenic mutt.

Randomly crossing two dissimilar breeds can be an absolute DISASTER!

Why? Primarily because of temperment and size issues.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... if you want a "labradoodle" or whatever, that's fine.

However, if you want to buy a dog that you will understand their temperment in advance, buy a 5th generation "labradoodle" ... in other words, if your puppy's pedigree is like this:

Poodle LabDood 1Labrador		   LabDood 17Labrador LabDood 2Poodle					 LabDood 25Labrador LabDood 3Poodle		   LabDood 18Poodle LabDood 4Labrador									LabDood 29Poodle LabDood 5Labrador		   LabDood 19Labrador LabDood 6Poodle					 LabDood 26Labrador LabDood 7Poodle		   LabDood 20Poodle LabDood 8Labrador												   LabDood 31Poodle LabDood 9Labrador		   LabDood 21Labrador LabDood 10Poodle					 LabDood 27Labrador LabDood 11Poodle		   LabDood 22Poodle LabDood 12Labrador									LabDood 30Poodle LabDood 13Labrador		   LabDood 23Labrador LabDood 14Poodle					 LabDood 28Labrador LabDood 15Poodle		   LabDood 24Poodle LabDood 16Labrador

...THEN...you may actually get a great dog with a stable personality and known breed health issues...however, if you're just buying a first generation cross, then who knows what you'll actually get...

Dog genetics are a funny thing.

It sure ain't like baking a cake. Don't kid yourself into thinking that it is...

I mean, do you really want a labradoodle with the hip and elbow displasia that plagues a large portion of the labrador population (which are pretty much the result of very poor breeding practices) and the occasionally schitzophrenic personality of what can be a very hyper poodle? Sounds like a receipe for vet bills and nipped-at neighbor kids.

Most people who are breeding these "designer dogs" really have ZERO idea about anything related to breeding dogs, other than how to market a puppy to an uneducated buyer at an insane price.

But, yeah, your dog may not shed much, so you have that going for you.

:puke:

Edited by muck