[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ravens Mark Clayton holding out

Big Red

Seems petty. Get in camp and do your job. I like the Ravens playing hardball on this.

Billick has said...

"Take No. 21 and No. 23, add them up together and cut it in half," Billick said. "Anything beyond that, it's hard to understand."

:D ........ :D

From http://www.baltimoresun.com

Coach Brian Billick said the Ravens have delivered their best offer to first-round draft pick Mark Clayton, one that won't change no matter how long the rookie receiver's holdout lasts.

"It never has, it never will," Billick said. "It didn't with Kyle Boller. It didn't with Peter Boulware. It hasn't with anyone else. So, you either want to be here or you don't."

Two team officials estimated that the sides are between $50,000 and $60,000 apart.

That small margin has caused Clayton to miss his fourth day of training camp and remain one of nine unsigned first-round picks.

In calling Clayton to accountability, Billick laid out the strict parameters of what the 22nd overall selection should receive.

"Take No. 21 and No. 23, add them up together and cut it in half," Billick said. "Anything beyond that, it's hard to understand."

Using those calculations, Clayton's deal should be worth approximately $8.1 million over five years with $5.6 million in guaranteed bonuses.

Those numbers follow the NFL's unofficial slotting philosophy, which says a player's contract should fall between what the player ahead of him and behind him received.

Ben Dogra, Clayton's agent, described the talks as "slower progress at this time" in an e-mail but did not elaborate.

What makes the slow negotiations peculiar is that cornerback Fabian Washington, the 23rd pick in the draft, signed on July 26 and Matt Jones, the 21st pick, agreed on Tuesday.

So, if the framework of Clayton's slot has been established, why is it taking this long for the former University of Oklahoma playmaker to sign?

"It's a legitimate question because I have the same one," Billick said.

Both sides have a history of not budging when it comes to bargaining.

The Ravens have held firm on deals with their top picks, from quarterback Kyle Boller (three-day holdout in 2003) to linebacker Peter Boulware (five weeks in 1997). And Clayton's agents, Dogra and Jim Steiner, didn't buckle when they represented Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie (98-day holdout in 2002).

At this point, Clayton is the only unsigned pick in the bottom half of this year's first round, and his holdout has already cost him. He has missed eight practices and countless meetings.

"It's hard because he's missing practicing in pads, something he hasn't done since college," receivers coach David Shaw said. "He's missing making mistakes and being corrected."

Shaw has talked with Clayton on the phone, updating him on what the Ravens are doing in practice, whether it's two-minute drills or red-zone work. He has stayed away from discussing the business side.

"When he shows up, hopefully he's ready to go because we've got to get rolling pretty soon," Shaw said. "We kind of put this plan together through the offseason, and he's a big part of it."

What Shaw likely neglected to say is how the rest of the Ravens' receiving corps is faring.

Clarence Moore, who is starting opposite Derrick Mason, and Patrick Johnson are having impressive starts in camp. Randy Hymes and Devard Darling have been solid, too.

Before he was a no-show at McDaniel College, Clayton was expected to be the team's No. 3 receiver and play in the slot.

"Guys have stepped in and taken advantage of it," Shaw said. "We still would love to add Mark to that mix, but guys have filled up that hole pretty quickly."

Edited by Big Red

You'd think all these guys would want to be like Cadillac. He flat out told his agent, "I want to be in camp on time", and he negotiated a fair deal. Clayton and Benson are two players that have a real shot to be starters this year. They are insane for holding out any longer.

This is unbelievable.

Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes and Devard Darling will obviously see more time because of Clayton's holdout. I was not aware that Patrick Johnson was back on the Ravens.

It is scary to think that Clayton's agent had a former Viking pick hold-out 98 days. Just crazy.

This is unbelievable.

Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes and Devard Darling will obviously see more time because of Clayton's holdout.  I was not aware that Patrick Johnson was back on the Ravens.

It is scary to think that Clayton's agent had a former Viking pick hold-out 98 days.  Just crazy.

911693[/snapback]

I'd be fine going into the season with Mason/Moore as the 1/2 with Heap in the mix as well. Moore was the Ravens #1 at the end of last year.

Clayton will be a starter by year's end unless he's a total bust. The quicker he gets in camp, the sooner he'll be a star.

If I remember right, the McKinnie deal got nasty. There was even talk of him going back into the draft. People are expecting too much from Clayton though. I seriously doubt he would have been a major contributor this year, hold-out or not.

People are expecting too much from Clayton though.  I seriously doubt he would have been a major contributor this year, hold-out or not.

911850[/snapback]

Most of the stuff I've read on Clayton, had him as the most NFL ready of all the WR's drafted this year.

'Course, this hold out sure ain't gonna help him any..............

..........along with Boller :D

This is unbelievable.

Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes and Devard Darling will obviously see more time because of Clayton's holdout.  I was not aware that Patrick Johnson was back on the Ravens.

It is scary to think that Clayton's agent had a former Viking pick hold-out 98 days.  Just crazy.

911693[/snapback]

If I remember right McKinney ended up signing ffor the original offer the Vikings gve him at the start of negotiations. :D

So, how goes Hines Ward's new contract?

912194[/snapback]

Not good thus far. :D:D:D

But thanks for asking, I could tell you were extremely concered.... :D

He is now signed and ready for camp. Looks like the original terms stayed the same, but escalator clauses to pay more if certain things are done where added.

From http://www.baltimoresun.com

Mark Clayton's rocky five-day holdout ended last night, when the first-round pick agreed in principle on a five-year, $8.2 million deal with the Ravens.

The rookie receiver reached terms at approximately 9:30 p.m. and plans to report to training camp today, when he will officially sign his contract.

The final snag was resolved when the sides signed off on an escalator clause in the final season that is worth up to $2.5 million in additional salary depending on how well he plays his first four seasons.

"Without a doubt, it was one of the toughest things I had to deal with in my life," Clayton said less than an hour after the agreement was finalized. "Coming to Baltimore and experiencing the minicamps, I was so excited to be at training camp and bond with the team. Not to do that and watch clips on TV, that really hurt.

"I just hope now when I come on the field that I don't get booed."

If there are boos, they will have been born of frustration that heightened as Clayton missed all 10 practices of the first week.

Many questioned the reasoning behind his absence, including coach Brian Billick on a daily basis, because there was no substantial gap between the sides. "You either want to be here or you don't," Billick said yesterday.

According to Clayton, the total money of the deal had been agreed upon a couple of days ago but the sides had to "fight through some structure issues." The sticking point was adding an escalator clause similar to the one given to the 21st pick, Jaguars receiver Matt Jones.

That part of the contract is triggered by the number of catches he makes each season.

"I hired my agents because they've been in the business 20 years," Clayton said, "and put all my trust in them."

Under the NFL's unofficial slotting philosophy, the total money given to Clayton fell in between the deals signed by the picks at No. 21 (Jones' five-year, $8.45 million contract) and No. 23 (Fabian Washington's five-year, $7.8 million).

The escalator clause was just under what Jacksonville gave to Jones ($2.7 million).

"It was a fair deal for the Ravens and a fair deal for Mark," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "In the landscape of this league, there are holdouts. You try not to have them, but they happen every year."

A key cog in the Ravens' attempt to revitalize their long-struggling passing game, Clayton is expected to enter camp as the No. 3 receiver behind Derrick Mason and Clarence Moore. He likely will have a chance to compete with Moore for a starting position.

Rated among the Ravens' top 10 prospects, Clayton fell to the bottom third of the first round because he lacked ideal size (5 feet 10). Still, he holds nearly every school receiving record at the University of Oklahoma, from career receptions (221) to yards (3,241) to touchdowns (31).

"He brings quickness, speed and burst to our receiving corps," Newsome said. "That's an ingredient that we really don't have."

Now that the painful process is over, here comes another hurdle.

Before Clayton agreed, Billick indicated that he wouldn't rush Clayton onto the field once he signed. His worries stem from the fact that Clayton missed nearly half of the offseason practices with hamstring problems.

"If a guy is not here from the beginning of camp, he gets very anxious when he does report, wants to catch up and gets hurt," Billick said after yesterday's morning practice. "And Mark Clayton hasn't gotten past two days worth of workouts since we've had him. I am very concerned about that."

Clayton said he has fully recovered from that injury.

"I feel great," Clayton said. "I'm ready to see how great I feel once I get on the field."

Clayton said he's ready to prove he is worth the wait.

With the Ravens scrimmaging the Washington Redskins today, Clayton will likely take the field on Monday at the earliest.

"It's always about earning no matter what you want to accomplish in life," he said. "I'm a hard worker and I plan to show that."

He is now signed and ready for camp.  From http://www.baltimoresun.com

913679[/snapback]

Thanks keeping us abreast Big Red.

With many NFL analysts describing Clayton as the most NFL ready WR from this years draft, him not missing much TC, is a good thing........if Boller can actually step up his game and perform like a real NFL QB this year.

You never know, but there might be some value in Clayton this year.