[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

benson deal done?

crispirons

So, Bears homers, how will the Benson/Jones breakdown eventually look? Jones as a 3rd down/passing back, Benson all other carries & at the goalline? Guess a lot depends on how he looks when he gets into camp, how quickly he picks things up, etc.

Regardless, it's nice to know that all the hyped rookie backs -- Brown, Cadillac, Benson, Arrington -- are (likely) in camp and ready to go, making for less shaky 3rd/4th round "upside" picks (3rd round mostly, from what I've seen)

Edited by msaint

Coach Smith has made it clear from Day One that it was Benson's job to have, stating that they weren't using that high of a pick on a guy to sit on the bench.

With this being said, he has to report and has to show what he's capable of doing in all situations on the field.

In a perfect scenario, I see a Benson/Jones split at 70/30.

So, Benson as a solid RB3, with season-long potential as a RB2?

929293[/snapback]

I just nabbed him at 5.05 as my RB#3 in our HAG draft. I think that is a great value for an upside #2 guy.

All along, they were saying it would take Ronnie Brown to get into camp before Benson did...they aren't far apart with the dollars, just a difference in the signing bonus, and a long look at this latest contract should do the trick.

I just nabbed him at 5.05 as my RB#3 in our HAG draft. I think that is a great value for an upside #2 guy.

929362[/snapback]

I took him at 4.08 as my #3 RB in our HAG division - he wouldn't have lasted to 5.05 (my next pick) the way the RBs were flying out the door.

I took him at 4.08 as my #3 RB in our HAG division - he wouldn't have lasted to 5.05 (my next pick) the way the RBs were flying out the door.

929370[/snapback]

I'm sure the holdout was affecting his FF draft status a little? I don't really know why...I'm just pleased to have wrapped up a guy who has the coaching staff really wanting him in camp. It may not pay off during the first half of the year, but down the road, he should be the guy.

i wanted to point out i have heard nothing further on this. nothing on monday night countdown. in fact, they said something to the contrary, that both sides were still far apart. stay tuned. i just didn't want to give false or faulty info. i tivo'd the nfl live so i'm going to go listen to the blurb they said about him. i still think a deal is iminent.

I have heard that Mort reversed himself later that night and said they were not close ...

And further confirmation:

Bears | No Progress with Benson

Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:58:05 -0700

Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo is clearly frustrated over first-round draft pick RB Cedric Benson's absence, which is well into its third week. While No. 2 pick RB Ronnie Brown ended his holdout by signing with the Miami Dolphins Monday, Aug. 15, Benson is no closer to coming to terms. "We really haven't had any progress on that," Angelo said. "It's unfortunate. We're still working on it. It's just not happening."

More info from today:

Benson only top-five pick still unsigned

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

By Gene Chamberlain

Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bears and Cedric Benson remain at odds, even after the other four top-five picks in the 2005 NFL draft have signed.

"We really haven't had any progress on that," general manager Jerry Angelo said Monday night, discussing contract talks with Eugene Parker, the agent for Benson, who was the No. 4 overall pick. "It's unfortunate. We're still working on it. It's just not happening."

One holdup has reportedly been length of the deal, with the Bears wanting a six-year pact and Benson five.

Head coach Lovie Smith continues to point out how difficult it will be for the running back out of Texas to earn a starting spot after holding out.

"Every day of practice was important," Smith said. "That's why we did it. So that's what he missed. He needed all those practices, but they're gone.

"Once we get him in camp, now it's cram time. It's final exams when he gets in. Eventually, he'll get here and we're going to catch him up."

Monday, the Miami Dolphins signed running back Ronnie Brown, the No. 2 overall pick, to a five-year, $34 million contract that included about $20 million guaranteed.

With all the slots above and directly behind Benson filled, it would seem a deal should be easy to consummate.

"I have looked at Brown's contract," Angelo said. "I can't say what's going to help at this point. We're talking.

"It was critical last week. Every day that goes by is critical, as far as we're concerned."

Benson who?

Defensive end Adewale Ogunleye called it premature to suggest Benson will provide a spark on offense if he eventually signs.

"He's a rookie. You never really can depend on a rookie," the Bears' defensive end said. "For people to really say that, that's saying that your organization is really not worth too much. What he can do is probably help out."

Ogunleye expects Thomas Jones to remain the first-team running back.

"Right now, he's our best running back," Ogunleye said of Jones. "Until somebody else proves me different, I think he's the best guy for the job right now."

When I saw this headline, for a minute I thought they were bringing Robert Guillaume back to anchor the ABC fall sitcom line-up.

Come to find out you guys are just talking about some football player... :D

930115[/snapback]

:D:D:D

the bears had to do this.  season ticket holders would start asking for a refund soon.

929124[/snapback]

They should've done that when they failed to sign a veteran backup (Warner, Garcia, Bledsoe, etc.) earlier this year. Even if Benson is a stud, he's going to see eight in the box every first and second down.

I expect to see Jones get the majority of the carries early on (for maybe the first three or four games) and Benson will eventually become the featured back. However, I still expect to see Jones a lot on third down. From what I understand, Benson isn't much of a receiving back.

besides the yrs thing(5 or 6) the thing really holding them up is benson wants what rivers got at the same spot last yr. thats the way it usually is in the nfl. the bears are low balling him a bit (not offering the same money because rivers is a qb). i said this to someone else in another thread and they called me out on it. saying poppycock or some crap. turns out i was exactly right about it though. i thought the bears would offer him a nickel over rivers package, and from what i heard, they are offering quite a bit less. hopefully something good happens in the next couple of days. at least his legs will be fresh at the end of the season :D

They should've done that when they failed to sign a veteran backup (Warner, Garcia, Bledsoe, etc.) earlier this year.  Even if Benson is a stud, he's going to see eight in the box every first and second down.

I expect to see Jones get the majority of the carries early on (for maybe the first three or four games) and Benson will eventually become the featured back.  However, I still expect to see Jones a lot on third down.  From what I understand, Benson isn't much of a receiving back.

930352[/snapback]

This is exactly what I was thinking. Jones starts out with the majority of the carries say through week 4-5, then Benson comes in and from week 8 on it's Benson's show.

From what I understand, Benson isn't much of a receiving back.

930352[/snapback]

He is not a bad reciever actually, just they never really passed to him much. They had some good players at the WR/TE spots and Young could always run, instead of dumping it off.

Oh for where art thou Mr. Benson???

Any new reports?

932818[/snapback]

From what I'm hearing, the main bump in this road is the number of years.

Parker is looking for a 5 year contract....simple, that's their demand.

The Bears are wanting this to be a 6 year contract. It appears that the numbers are pretty much in place, ever since Ronnie Brown signed, since they knew where to slot him....but now this impasse is still there.

:D

Coach Smith has made it clear from Day One that it was Benson's job to have, stating that they weren't using that high of a pick on a guy to sit on the bench.

With this being said, he has to report and has to show what he's capable of doing in all situations on the field.

In a perfect scenario, I see a Benson/Jones split at 70/30.

929283[/snapback]

Where has Turner coached before (not counting U of I)? A look at that could give some nice insight into how he likes to use his backs....