[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holmes Isn't Worth It

giantsfan

NO doubt at all he has top 2 and at worst top 3 ability if healthy. But I personally wouldn't take him in the top 5. I rather have LT, Alexander, Manning, Edge, Deuce, and possibily any of McGahee, DD, Lewis, and Dillion over him although the last 4 might be a little stretch. If you take Holmes you HAVE to not might have to but HAVE to take LJ in the 5th or so round. So you are basically spending 2 top 5 picks for the KC running game. Considering you'd need to use a top 4 or so pick on Holmes I say it just isn't worth the risk considering what else you can get in the top 7 lets say.

Does anyone agree or am I crazy and not looking at the upside Holmes has?

Edited by giantsfan

Yeah, but when holmes is getting all those points, when he does play you wish you had grabbed him when you had a chance. I've had holmes since he's been in KC and i've dealt with every injury as it occures. But when he's playing I don't ever regret not having him.

Yeah, but when holmes is getting all those points, when he does play you wish you had grabbed him when you had a chance. I've had holmes since he's been in KC and i've dealt with every injury as it occures. But when he's playing I don't ever regret not having him.

933949[/snapback]

And that's the flip side. There is NO doubt that when he plays he is a mega stud unlike basically any other, but I personally wouldn't want that pick to make. If I had 4 or 5 I would REALLY hope Holmes went 3 or 4 so I wouldn't have to make that call. If you take Holmes and don't get LJ I think that's a HUGE mis-step so again you'd need to use 2 top 5 picks for 1 teams running game, so with that said I would not like to be the one to have to deal with that or make that pick. Just too risky from a top 4 pick when picks are supposed to be as close to sure things as possible.

Edited by giantsfan

There is NO doubt that when he plays he is a mega stud unlike basically any other,

933957[/snapback]

When he is healthy there is no other that compares to him. He had like 10 td's in eight games or something like that last year and no other rb was close.

When he is healthy there is no other that compares to him. He had like 10 td's in eight games or something like that last year and no other rb was close.

933964[/snapback]

Agreed. I really can see either side. I wouldn't take him top 5 or so, but I couldn't say a thing to someone who took him at 3.

NO doubt at all he has top 2 and at worst top 3 ability if healthy. But I personally wouldn't take him in the top 5. I rather have LT, Alexander, Manning, Edge, Deuce, and possibily any of McGahee, DD, Lewis, and Dillion over him although the last 4 might be a little stretch. If you take Holmes you HAVE to not might have to but HAVE to take LJ in the 5th or so round. So you are basically spending 2 top 5 picks for the KC running game. Considering you'd need to use a top 4 or so pick on Holmes I say it just isn't worth the risk considering what else you can get in the top 7 lets say.

Does anyone agree or am I crazy and not looking at the upside Holmes has?

933931[/snapback]

Actually, there is no doubt he is far and away the top fantasy player if he's healthy. And if he's not, LJ immediately becomes the top fantasy player. The only reason he's tumbling to the mid first round is because of the injury concern.

IMHO, you just have to attack a draft differently in this case. People make fun of the 'Stud RB' draft theory on it's own, but the point of it is to CYA at the RB position. You know that LJ will be a stud RB if Priest goes down, so you are adapting this strategy to fit your Holmes risk. Draft WRs all of the mis rounds and you will be finr drafting Holmes. Or, go Holmes, Stud WR, Stud WR, LJ, Some other Bettis-like RB, WR. It will be fine.

My problem with having Holmes and LJ is, what if Holmes is listed as "questionable" or "probable" on the injury report? If you are 100% certain that either Holmes or LJ is going to get a majority of the RB carries, then you are set. But, there will be weeks when it is unclear which will play more. So, you might end up starting them both to cover yourself, meaning your fantasy team is at the mercy of the K.C offense.

I think if you take Holmes you HAVE to take LJ. Not well if I don't get him so be it I really believe you HAVE to have him. If I was a Holmes owner I would take LJ in the 4th to play it safe. I say it is 50/50 whether or not he's there in the mid to late 5th and I wouldn't want to risk that. Here's the question. If you take Holmes at 3-5 and LJ in round 4 would you feel comfortable starting both every week? Right now I'd say okay, but what if Holmes carries the full load would you still feel comfortable then? I wouldn't. Again just too many questions involved here not to mention 2 of your first 4 or 5 picks being spent there.

Be careful waiting until the 5th round to grab him. Depending on the other owners, there might be someone willing to grab him out from under you earlier. I would suggest taking him in the 4th round if you want to be 100% sure.

934274[/snapback]

i think 4th round for LJ is too high, and 5th probably is too. If someone else wants to waste one of their picks, then screw'em.

I completely disagree that you HAVE to have LJ. he is no different than any other handcuff, witht he exception that he isn't as much of a drop off potentially. I am perfectly comfortable having holmes without LJ. His injuries the past few years were unrelated and non-reccurring. He is no mor einjury prone than anyone else. People's concerns are over blown.

If you take Holmes at 3-5 and LJ in round 4 would you feel comfortable starting both every week?

No, I wouldn't start them both every week. I'd hope for Priest to put up #s equal to 2 or 3 RBs (as said earlier) and I'd hope to squeeze a few point out of fred taylor, michael bennett, tatum bell, kevan barlow, lee suggs, jj arrington or

duce staley....I would think one of these would be available in Round 5 as my 2nd RB.

I completely disagree that you HAVE to have LJ.  he is no different than any other handcuff, witht he exception that he isn't as much of a drop off potentially.  I am perfectly comfortable having holmes without LJ.  His injuries the past few years were unrelated and non-reccurring.  He is no mor einjury prone than anyone else.  People's concerns are over blown.

934387[/snapback]

That's where we disagree totally. To say at this point that Holmes is no more injury prone than anyone else is crazy I think. Of course anyone can get hurt on any play, but how you can make that statement is beyond me. It just isn't true.

You are right but.... last year he played 8 games and had over 1000 totalyds & 15 TD's. What would he have had if he played the whole season? He is definitely a high risk / high reward pick. Imagine the team that gets him and if he stays healthy. He'd be the VP of Fantasy Football. I think he's out to prove something this year. How many times have I passed on him only to kick myself? Too many. That being said, I have the first pick and will take LT over him but I wouldn't hesitate to take him at #3 after LT & Alexander.

I'm with SLGRAF on this one - we know that LJ would be a stud if Priest went down with an injury. The real concern is if both are healthy enough to play, but Priest is a bit dinged up. Do they end up splitting the carries? It would be hard to choose who to put in the lineup (one of them or both of them with another good RB of yours is sitting on the bench).

If LJ does as well as last year when he gets the ball, I could see Priest getting more breaks even if he's healthy to keep him healthy. I know you still have to play Priest, but it just makes you think maybe it would be better to draft someone else in the first round and not deal with this.

I cannot imagine a Non-Holmes owner taking LJ in the 5th round or earlier. That would mean they are taking a backup RB in a position they could be filling with a 3rd starting WR (my leagues starts 3) or #2 RB or #1 QB? That is nuts. If they do, then a decent starter (at any of those other positions) drops down one slot for you and they can let a backup RB sit on their bench. I draft 4th and may get Holmes and I figure on using my 6th/7th round pick on LJ. No way he goes in the top 6 rounds in a ten team league.

I cannot imagine a Non-Holmes owner taking LJ in the 5th round or earlier.  That would mean they are taking a backup RB in a position they could be filling with a 3rd starting WR (my leagues starts 3) or #2 RB or #1 QB?  That is nuts.  If they do, then a decent starter (at any of those other positions) drops down one slot for you and they can let a backup RB sit on their bench.  I draft 4th and may get Holmes and I figure on using my 6th/7th round pick on LJ.  No way he goes in the top 6 rounds in a ten team league.

934426[/snapback]

Why not? If Holmes goes down, you immediately have a top 3 RB in PPG for the low, low price of a 5th round pick. You're going to ignore that because you can't dig and find a couple of good sleeper WR picks?

We have a compensatory pick in our draft that is applied to the seventh round.

It says you have one shot to select 2 players (at the same time) from the same team provided they are either QB or RB.

If I have a shot at Holmes at #3 overall I'll take him and also select Larry Johnson, who would then become my 7th round draft pick. That allows you to "protect" a stud and eliminates the cut-throat actions of many fantasy leaguers....the rule has worked out well, but it certaily changes the value of the player.

In my league Holmes is worth more than in a league where you don't have the option to protect him with his primary backup.

Edited by kwolf68

I cannot imagine a Non-Holmes owner taking LJ in the 5th round or earlier.  That would mean they are taking a backup RB in a position they could be filling with a 3rd starting WR (my leagues starts 3) or #2 RB or #1 QB?  That is nuts.  If they do, then a decent starter (at any of those other positions) drops down one slot for you and they can let a backup RB sit on their bench.  I draft 4th and may get Holmes and I figure on using my 6th/7th round pick on LJ.  No way he goes in the top 6 rounds in a ten team league.

934426[/snapback]

If I take Holmes in Round 1 and I miss LJ...I'll have a trade offer in my lap by the 6th or 7th round. I think all the discussion on this topic is right on so far: If you own Priest and want LJ, take LJ in Round 4. Round 5 is risking it in most leagues.

If I take Holmes in Round 1 and I miss LJ...I'll have a trade offer in my lap by the 6th or 7th round.  I think all the discussion on this topic is right on so far:  If you own Priest and want LJ, take LJ in Round 4.  Round 5 is risking it in most leagues.

934468[/snapback]

Indeed. You can't compare Priest to other backs for 2 HUGH reasons: He's old, and missed 8 games last year, so the injury issue HAS to be a MAJOR concern. If it's not, you're kidding yourself. His upside is HUGH: 21 TD's in '02 and 27 TD's in '03. HOWEVER, LJ has proven that he can be VERY succesful in KC as a feature back. You have a great system for RB's, and if you take the risky Priest pick with #3 overall, you'd be a moran not to handcuff that, even if it costs you a 4th rounder.

JMHO.

Show me another situation that's even remotely similar: a great offense for an RB, an old RB whose put up HUGH numbers but was hurt last year, and a proven backup that can put up SOLID numbers.

Most teams got to an RBBC clusterf*ck when the primary back goes down, not KC.

Edited by Hugh 0ne