[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Offense

notamomo

So, thinking about the Viking high-powered offense here....

Randy Moss is gone.

Running back depth, experience, proneness to injury a big concern.

New offensive coordinator.

Defense should be much improved.

CHI and DET defense should be improved.

And now, their best O-lineman and O-line leader may be out for the year.

This can't bode well for C-Pep. I think he's a stud and has the tools for continued success. But Tice is a meat-head and there's a lot of change in Minny this year. Thoughts?

News

The St. Paul Pioneer Press confirmed on Wednesday that the injury concerns to Vikings center Matt Birk are related to the torn labrum in his right hip and that the four-time Pro Bowler is contemplating another surgical procedure that could very well end his 2005 season. "If he has the surgery, I think he'll be out for the season," Birk's agent Joe Linta told the Pioneer Press. "I think it will be an all-or-nothing deal. I don't think they're going to hold a spot for him for 12 weeks."

Views

According to the report, Birk is gathering information and will make his decision by Thursday at the latest. Birk is not only the team's most critical lineman but also a team leader, so his loss would be significant. Stay tuned.

Not good, but remember last year:

Birk missed time.

Rosenthal and Kleinsasser were out - and now are back.

Randy was hurt and a decoy for half the season.

Burleson will step up. The other WRs will be adequate. Daunte is spreading the ball like never before. The running game has not looked good for sure. Maybe Mewelde will provide a spark.

And Williamson is the wildcard. If the guy can improve on his hands and route running after a few games, the 2nd half of the year could be fun.

Forgot to add that 2nd round draft pick Marcus Johnson has been added to the line.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I vot efor big drop off in numbers. It seemed like Burleson's numbers went down when defenses were able to put their best corner on him. And of course they still have Mike Tice on their side so the magic 8 ball says, all signs lead to down numbers.

The RB situation in Minnesota is nothing compared to the impact losing Birk could have on the Vikings. In fact, Bennett has always been way overvalued as a RB... I think Moore will end up with the bulk of the carries but I'm sure the coaches will end up with a RBBC approach (which sucks for Fantasy, but could be the solution for a decent NFL season).

Birk on the other hand is an essential commodity. He's not huge, but he is smart and knows how to use his leverage like a skilled ninja henchman. :D

Without him up front, it could be tough running no matter who is in the backfield.

Edit to add: KFAN interview Loney today and he acknowledged that the pass blocking has looked real good, but that the MN run blocking needed more work. A lot of the holes are "muddy" and then when the holes ARE there, the RB's aren't finding them.

Edited by Savage Beatings

And now, their best O-lineman and O-line leader may be out for the year.

News

The St. Paul Pioneer Press confirmed on Wednesday that the injury concerns to Vikings center Matt Birk are related to the torn labrum in his right hip and that the four-time Pro Bowler is contemplating another surgical procedure that could very well end his 2005 season. "If he has the surgery, I think he'll be out for the season," Birk's agent Joe Linta told the Pioneer Press. "I think it will be an all-or-nothing deal. I don't think they're going to hold a spot for him for 12 weeks."

Views

According to the report, Birk is gathering information and will make his decision by Thursday at the latest. Birk is not only the team's most critical lineman but also a team leader, so his loss would be significant. Stay tuned.

945936[/snapback]

ESPN has reported that Birk is going to play the season on pain killers. :D

ESPN has reported that Birk is going to play the season on pain killers. :D

946891[/snapback]

Not necessarily. There was an interview with Birk on KFAN this morning. He basically has asked the Vikings to guarantee his 2006 salary if he plays for them without the surgery. I doubt very much that the Vikings will agree to guaranteed money for Birk. He has given the front office a couple of days to think it over and get back to him. If they do not agree, then he will be having the surgery.

I think Culpepper will still put up monster numbers. I expect him to be around 3,500 yards passing and 35 touchdowns. You can’t discount those days Duante rushes for 60-70 yards either.

Without Moss, Culpepper will now step up to being one of the elite QBs in the league as he can now spread the ball around more. Culpepper is also very adept at checking down to his running backs and tight-ends.

I don’t know if Duante will have those spectacular TDs he had when Moss was in Minnesota, but I think he will be a more complete-and just as productive-QB. In football history, VERY RARELY has a QB’s output deviated from his typical numbers, barring injury.

What Duante has been giving Fantasy Owners in the past will be what he most likely will give in the future. This is why he is my QB on BOTH my fantasy teams and I haven’t questioned the decision ONE MINUTE.

Also heard the interview with Birk this AM, and I think the situation seems pretty cut and dried. I don't think they'll guarantee the money for next season, which will lead to the surgery. Although I want to see the Vikings shoot for the top this season, I think it would be prudent for him to get the surgery now and finally get right. I think the Vikings will be contenders this season, but looking ahead to next season with Bennett out of the picture (I assume), Moore, Onterrio Smith and Faison in the backfield (or someone top flight with a trade or pick), hopefully healthy other linemen and Kleinsasser, a year of seasoning for Williamson, a year of development for the other receivers and a meshing of the new defensive studs PLUS a healthy and focused Birk - I think that is a REAL Super Bowl contender. I don't think they can get there with so many things out of focus this season, but Culpepper should have a terrific year, I think. He's looked VERY sharp thus far, and the receivers look really good. The loss of Moss - addition by subtraction for Culpepper, IMO.

It's astounding to me that a team can lose it's #1 WR (arguably the best in the league) the RBs are in shambles and the coach is a block head...yet Cpep's numbers improve? Addition by subtraction? It's more like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

True, you can do MUCH worse than having Cpep as your fantasy QB. He's still the #2 Fantasy QB, but the gap between him and Manning is wider this year...not closer. I just don't see how you can expect the same or better numbers from him this year.

Gotta agree with Grunge,

They did it last year without key players. I think C-pep will put up roughly the same numbers as last year, with no real #1 WR target. If you have seen some of the pre-season games, he spread the ball around alot. Travis Taylor (can't believe I'm saying it..) has had a good camp and I really think he will push Robinson for the #2 spot. Wiggins will benifit from moss being gone, and a lack of consistent pass protection. Lastly, Moore will be the leading rusher for the vikes.

My 2 cents......

It's astounding to me that a team can lose it's #1 WR (arguably the best in the league) the RBs are in shambles and the coach is a block head...yet Cpep's numbers improve?  Addition by subtraction?  It's more like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

True, you can do MUCH worse than having Cpep as your fantasy QB.  He's still the #2 Fantasy QB, but the gap between him and Manning is wider this year...not closer.  I just don't see how you can expect the same or better numbers from him this year.

947905[/snapback]

Your assessment may prove accurate. But there are many reasons to feel Culpepper will at least come close to last years numbers. Drafter is correct, C-Pep and the Vikes proved to be a tremendous offense in the games when Moore or Bennett was in the lineup, with Moss and Birk out of the lineup. All of that, coupled with a defense that allowed a ton of plays and time to come off the clock with the offense standing by and watching it happen, game after game. The improved defense should provide more good opportunities for the offense, which gives C-Pep more chances to score fantasy points. Without the dark cloud of Moss hanging over the team, C-Pep is THE MAN now. He has been spreading the ball around which makes the offense less predictable and harder to defend. If Williamson proves to be any kind of dependable deep threat at all - he already showed one flash of that - then the minus Moss angle is even more lessened. Rosenthal and Kleinsasser are extremely important for the purple and they look good again.

The possible loss of Birk is a real problem, though, I still agree. The one factor I mentioned above could also be looked at as a possible negative to Duante putting up huge numbers...the improved defense. The offense might not have to score 40 points and go deep all game long to win football games this season. The running game might take over several times in the 4th quarter, and Duante might head to the bench at times with a big lead.

Again, you may be right about the loss of Moss. I don't see it, for all the reasons I've mentioned, though. I think they are a far superior team with him gone, and it will help the offense in ways people might not think.