[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Six Man League advice

Steeltown Dre

A guy at my office is getting together an office league and there are only going to be six guys playing.

What advice would you give for drafting with this small of a league?

I am pretty sure it's standard performance, with

1QB

2RB

2WR

1TE

1DEF

and a bench of 8.

Obviously everyone's roster will be pretty much stacked, and plenty of decent FAs still available, but is there any sort of drafting strategy you would take?

Since there won't be as much demand/run on RBs (given the small league size) perhaps it's a lot easier to take Peyton 1st round? Same w/ your other positions? Thanks for the advice.

I've done 6 person leagues and the best bet is to take the top player on the board every time. There will be plenty of RBs and WRs on the waiver wire if some one gets hurt.

You can take Peyton in the 1st and probably still land McAlister and DD or Lewis as your RBs. In a 6 man I would definitly go with Manning 1st. Maybe QB, RB,RB, TE(to lock up Gates or Gonzo) and still have lots of WR to choose from.

I'd suggest proposing to your commish that you expand the starting lineup. At the very minimum in a league that small you should be starting:

2 QB

3 RB

5 WR

2 TE

2 K

The reason is if your league collectively only starts 6 QBs on any given week, you're only scratching the surface. You don't really need to put much thought into things. However, if everyone is starting two per week, now you are using 12 QBs collectively -- same as a 12 team league. It adds to the strategy and makes it so you can't necessarily just take the top ranked player on your list in every round of the draft.

I'd suggest proposing to your commish that you expand the starting lineup. At the very minimum in a league that small you should be starting:

2 QB

3 RB

5 WR

2 TE

2 K

The reason is if your league collectively only starts 6 QBs on any given week, you're only scratching the surface. You don't really need to put much thought into things. However, if everyone is starting two per week, now you are using 12 QBs collectively -- same as a 12 team league. It adds to the strategy and makes it so you can't necessarily just take the top ranked player on your list in every round of the draft.

948987[/snapback]

Yea, I guess if we started twice the number of people, it would be pretty much just like a 12 man league. I'm not sure if he'd go for that though.

As for having 1 bench player, I think that would make the waiver wire much more heated, with people picking up the best matchups for every single weekend basically. That would be interesting too.

So zooty, you're saying just take the 120 sheet w/ any personal modifications, and just pick based on that, taking position into account (i.e. after filling each starting position, move to the next best available for empty starting positions)?

So zooty, you're saying just take the 120 sheet w/ any personal modifications, and just pick based on that, taking position into account (i.e. after filling each starting position, move to the next best available for empty starting positions)?

949100[/snapback]

Pretty much. I would just go best player available. You'll never be in a postion where "if a don't get a top WR now there won't be any left at my next pick".

Take RB for example. Only 24 are even drafted. I would be happy if you told me I can have 4 of the top 24 backs. The problem is every one else does to. In a smaller league, sometimes you are looking to keep players AWAY from other teams (better of on your bench then helping the other guy).

Edited by Zooty

Not much point in a 6 man league......

949111[/snapback]

Find 4-6 more owners  :D

949266[/snapback]

Amen!

If you really are just gonna join a 6-man "normal" league (lineups, starters, etc), you deserve to be mocked.

If you start a post (like this one) to ask advice about strategy for a 6-man league, you deserve to be mocked and scorned.

If you paid the Huddle Membership just so you could ask for advice on strategy for a 6-man league, you should be mocked and scorned, and have your Huddle Membership revoked.

If the 6-man league you joined and asked advice for is a FREE LEAGUE, you deserve to be SHOT, and we will mock and scorn your corpse, and send the Huddle Membership revocation notice to your dad or whomever your legal guardian was.

Edited by Bengal Mania

I've been a huddler for 4 years running. I've been playing fantasy football since my junior year in college (six years ago). I've obviously had my share of 12 and 10 man leagues. I already am in an 10 man league this season. I was simply asking advice for drafting in a 6 man league, since I've never been a part as small a league as that. I'm assuming some others have been involved in a league that small, or would have some advice even if they werent.

It's really not my decision as to getting 4-6 more players. The guy who is opening it is at the office, and he can only get 6 guys. He wants it to consist of people in the office. We're having the draft next week during lunch. It's $100 a head.

For me, it's purely fun. I'd join the huddle if I was in 10 leagues or none. I love football and have had a great time playing fantasy these past 6 years. Even if I wasn't playing in any leagues, I love coming to one source to get all the football info I would ever want prior to and during the season.

So far the best advice came from the first 2 responses. I think I might be able to get them to start twice as many players as he originally planned, thus making it a deeper starting roster. That would be the best thing to do I think.

To Bengal, funny post, but simply looking at my post count and membership date should show you that I didn't just join the huddle to ask about this 6 man league, and I am 27 and have no legal guardian. Nice effort, though.

I've been a huddler for 4 years running.  I've been playing fantasy football since my junior year in college (six years ago).  I've obviously had my share of 12 and 10 man leagues.  I already am in an 10 man league this season.  I was simply asking advice for drafting in a 6 man league, since I've never been a part as small a league as that.  I'm assuming some others have been involved in a league that small, or would have some advice even if they werent.

It's really not my decision as to getting 4-6 more players.  The guy who is opening it is at the office, and he can only get 6 guys.  He wants it to consist of people in the office.  We're having the draft next week during lunch.  It's $100 a head. 

For me, it's purely fun.  I'd join the huddle if I was in 10 leagues or none.  I love football and have had a great time playing fantasy these past 6 years.  Even if I wasn't playing in any leagues, I love coming to one source to get all the football info I would ever want prior to and during the season.

So far the best advice came from the first 2 responses.  I think I might be able to get them to start twice as many players as he originally planned, thus making it a deeper starting roster.  That would be the best thing to do I think.

To Bengal, funny post, but simply looking at my post count and membership date should show you that I didn't just join the huddle to ask about this 6 man league, and I am 27 and have no legal guardian.  Nice effort, though.

949469[/snapback]

touchy touchy

To Bengal, funny post, but simply looking at my post count and membership date should show you that I didn't just join the huddle to ask about this 6 man league, and I am 27 and have no legal guardian.  Nice effort, though.

949469[/snapback]

Hey, I did say "IF" to everything. :D

touchy touchy

949658[/snapback]

Now, now, he was good (enough) natured about it.

Giving people sh!t is the one of the best parts of this place.

Everyone will have good players so take the best guy at every position PERIOD.

Best QB, best WR it does not matter if there are better RBs out there (if you already have one - take the next best position).

There will be more than enough left over when you are done.

Suggestion 2: Make more friends. A 6 team league is all luck. Whose stud performs the best.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Everyone will have good players so take the best guy at every position PERIOD.

Best QB, best WR if does not matter if there are better RBs out there (if you already have one - take the next best position). 

There will be more than enough left over when you are done. 

Suggestion 2:  Make more friends.  A 6 team league is all luck.  Whose stud performs the best.

949742[/snapback]

Maybe a little crazy, but what if you each were to draft two teams? That way the talent is better distributed.

Amen!

If you really are just gonna join a 6-man "normal" league (lineups, starters, etc), you deserve to be mocked.

If you start a post (like this one) to ask advice about strategy for a 6-man league, you deserve to be mocked and scorned.

If you paid the Huddle Membership just so you could ask for advice on strategy for a 6-man league, you should be mocked and scorned, and have your Huddle Membership revoked.

If the 6-man league you joined and asked advice for is a FREE LEAGUE, you deserve to be SHOT, and we will mock and scorn your corpse, and send the Huddle Membership revocation notice to your dad or whomever your legal guardian was.

949420[/snapback]

:D:D:D

I've been a huddler for 4 years running.  I've been playing fantasy football since my junior year in college (six years ago).  I've obviously had my share of 12 and 10 man leagues.  I already am in an 10 man league this season.  I was simply asking advice for drafting in a 6 man league, since I've never been a part as small a league as that.  I'm assuming some others have been involved in a league that small, or would have some advice even if they werent.

It's really not my decision as to getting 4-6 more players.  The guy who is opening it is at the office, and he can only get 6 guys.  He wants it to consist of people in the office.  We're having the draft next week during lunch.  It's $100 a head. 

For me, it's purely fun.  I'd join the huddle if I was in 10 leagues or none.  I love football and have had a great time playing fantasy these past 6 years.  Even if I wasn't playing in any leagues, I love coming to one source to get all the football info I would ever want prior to and during the season.

So far the best advice came from the first 2 responses.  I think I might be able to get them to start twice as many players as he originally planned, thus making it a deeper starting roster.  That would be the best thing to do I think.

949469[/snapback]

You're handling the ribbing well. Good luck in the 10 man league, if you've been doing this for 6 years then you probably won't have a problem beating the guys at work. Have you considered inviting the UPS guy to join?

2 of the guys are from the mailroom already. I doubt we'll go for outside delivery services. I'm of course confident about this league, most of the guys here don't have as much experience nor (I think) huddle experience. However, like some have said, with a league this small, it would come down to whose studs get lucky. I'll keep pushing for expanded rosters, along the likes of Paul's recommended:

2 QB

3 RB

5 WR

2 TE

2 K

I think having a deeper roster would be better than 2 teams - seems simpler - draftwise as well as in the season. What would be the main difference, other than having to set up different divisions so your teams don't play each other? It could get more confusing with multiple teams per player.

It's HTH. I think all of this stuff can be changed prior to the season, if we all are in agreement. Since this isn't a long-standing league or even more than a 1 year group of guys, it should be easy to change things if everyone (or the majority) agrees.