[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

San Antonio Saints

DMD

Just reported on CNN that the Saints are seriously considering making a permanent move to San Antonio and are moving stuff there now. They had wanted to stay in Louisiana but according to reports San Antonio now looks like it will become their home.

why not?

its a temporary thing for the year, or whenever their stadium is back up and running.

its not like the bail out of lousiana on their own will, and its not that the contracts wont bind them back into town once all is running on "normal" again.

"If they do, can't call them the Saints anymore."

I'm not even sure what this means, but assuming I'm even close the populace ..... well I'll just stop before I show my true self...

"its a temporary thing for the year, or whenever their stadium is back up and running.

its not like the bail out of lousiana on their own will, and its not that the contracts wont bind them back into town once all is running on "normal" again."

Am I the only one??? Three years, MAYBE.....unreal....dude "normal" is gone....again I'll just hush...

If this becomes a permanent deal I hope Tom Benson burns in He ll ! The people of New Olreans love the Saints and right now we probably need them more than ever. Now obviously they need somewhere to play for at least this season and maybe even another . Making an announcement like this at this time would only prove what most of us already suspect. Tom Benson has no soul . JMHO

Yesterday on ESPN, Mike Lupica said that the NFL should make an announcment now to award a future Superbowl to New Orleans. Am I the only one who has a hard time imagining the Superdome being used as a venue for entertainment in the future? I can't imagine people celebrating there after all that has happened in the past week.

My heart goes out to everyone down there. What they have gone through and continue to go through is unimaginable to me. I have a tough time accepting that some of the funds that should be used to help these people would go towards repairing the Superdome instead. But I may just be a majority of one on this topic....

Yesterday on ESPN, Mike Lupica said that the NFL should make an announcment now to award a future Superbowl to New Orleans.  Am I the only one who has a hard time imagining the Superdome being used as a venue for entertainment in the future?  I can't imagine people celebrating there after all that has happened in the past week. 

My heart goes out to everyone down there.  What they have gone through and continue to go through is unimaginable to me.  I have a tough time accepting that some of the funds that should be used to help these people would go towards repairing the Superdome instead.  But I may just be a majority of one on this topic....

967564[/snapback]

The Superdome is a vital part of our city. The horrors that happened there even leave me questioning the viability of the building at this point.

We may be better off tearing it down and building a new stadium on the riverfront but that is all so premature at this point.

Yesterday on ESPN, Mike Lupica said that the NFL should make an announcment now to award a future Superbowl to New Orleans.  Am I the only one who has a hard time imagining the Superdome being used as a venue for entertainment in the future?  I can't imagine people celebrating there after all that has happened in the past week. 

My heart goes out to everyone down there.  What they have gone through and continue to go through is unimaginable to me.  I have a tough time accepting that some of the funds that should be used to help these people would go towards repairing the Superdome instead.  But I may just be a majority of one on this topic....

967564[/snapback]

There is no doubt in my mind that the Superdome will be torn down. It is not something that the city will want to rememebr. The Saints will get a new stadium.

First of all, I feel really bad for the people of New Orleans. But the reality is that New Orleans' economy is going to be depressed for several years to come and, realistically, the city won't be able to support an NFL team over that time. This is a really crappy situation, but I don't see how New Orleans can support ANY pro sports franchise at this point.

If they do, can't call them the Saints anymore.

967507[/snapback]

The name "Saints" would actually be more appropriate in San Antonio, which has a very strong Catholic heritage (the missions) and has a very high Catholic population. But my feeling is that they'll re-name the franchise out of respect.

Given that New York and California each have three teams, I think it would be appropriate for Texas to have three as well. At the very least, the San Antonio (1.1 million) and Austin (650,000) markets would be large enough to support a San Antonio-based franchise.

I agree with Tbimm that they should do whatever possible to keep the Saints in the New Orleans area permanently. They should only be discussing short-term solutions at this point. If it's found out next year that New Orleans is not a viable option permanently make the announcement then. What good comes out of adding that salt to these people's wounds right now?

What good comes out of adding that salt to these people's wounds right now?

967687[/snapback]

I agree that Benson's timing in making this statement is horrible. At the very least, he should've waited a few months.

My feeling is that Benson wanted to get out of there for some time and this is his ticket. IIRC, he does have something like an $80 million buyout, but the circumstances might render that void.

First of all, I feel really bad for the people of New Orleans.  But the reality is that New Orleans' economy is going to be depressed for several years to come and, realistically, the city won't be able to support an NFL team over that time.  This is a really crappy situation, but I don't see how New Orleans can support ANY pro sports franchise at this point.

the San Antonio (1.1 million) and Austin (650,000) markets would be large enough to support a San Antonio-based franchise.

967671[/snapback]

I've seen quite a few reports that for every person who is determined to go back to NO, there's one who says "there's nothing left for me there, I'm starting over elsewhere"; when/if NO is back up and running, the population could be significantly less than what it was pre-Katrina.

And the economic situation in NO is uncertain - if it's rebuilt, there will be PLENTY of construction/clean-up work to go around. Unsure if any major corps located there will relocate or stick it out - we're looking at weeks and months before the city is even in a position to THINK about returning to normal (power, water, etc)

The timing is bad no doubt, but the reality is as Ski already stated-the city's infra structure is in chaos, the last thing the city can burden(or has time to burden) is pro sports. The city of NO will most likely not be able to host NFL football for two(2) years-by then it will have become a natural saturation process into the San Antonio community, and the Saints will stay. However, it does keep them geographically sound as a NFC South member.

Maybe a Cleveland Browns type situation will unfold here.

The Browns left town and became the Baltimore Ravens. Isn't there an NFL rule that states if a team leaves a city they have to leave the name and colors behind with that city?

I could see the Saints leaving NO for San Antonio under the condition that in 3 years time the city of NO will be awarded a new expansion franchise that will be named the Saints and the team can start over fresh just like the occupants of the city. The NFL owners should then each kick in bucco bucks to start the new franchise out right with a new stadium and a super bowl.

It would suck in the short term for the Saints fans, but in the long term it might be a solution for both the city and the NFL.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

The Browns left town and became the Baltimore Ravens. Isn't there an NFL rule that states if a team leaves a city they have to leave the name and colors behind with that city?

967837[/snapback]

IIRC, That was part of the settlement for allowing that team to move and is not part of any rule.

Maybe a Cleveland Browns type situation will unfold here.

I could see the Saints leaving NO for San Antonio under the condition that in 3 years time the city of NO will be awarded a new expansion franchise that will be named the Saints and the team can start over fresh just like the occupants of the city. The NFL owners should then each kick in bucco bucks to start the new franchise out right with a new stadium and a super bowl.

It would suck in the short term for the Saints fans, but in the long term it might be a solution for both the city and the NFL.

967837[/snapback]

I don't think that the NFL will expand for quite some time. The 32-team layout the league currently has would not lend itself easily to an additional team or two.

I don't think that the NFL will expand for quite some time.  The 32-team layout the league currently has would not lend itself easily to an additional team or two.

967858[/snapback]

It's a shame that things are unfolding this way. The people of New Orleans have lost so much already...but, as I have said before, I don't know very many billionaires who made their fortunes by being emotional. Benson will pull stakes because it is his best financial play. It just hurts because the people pay the ultimate price--they lose part of the city's identity.

I could see the Saints leaving NO for San Antonio under the condition that in 3 years time the city of NO will be awarded a new expansion franchise

967837[/snapback]

I don't think that New Orleans or the state of Louisiana are in a position to impose any conditions on Benson. However, it might be appropriate for the league to step in and give the city some sort of cash "buyout." At the very least, this money could be used in the cleanup effort.

I don't think that New Orleans or the state of Louisiana are in a position to impose any conditions on Benson.  However, it might be appropriate for the league to step in and give the city some sort of cash "buyout."  At the very least, this money could be used in the cleanup effort.

967895[/snapback]

Right; if Benson really wanted to be a fatherless male, he could probably claim some sort of inability to fulfill obligations on the side of NO and leave them with nothing; I figure he'll get the buyout down a significant % and avoid a PR nightmare.

And I thought LA was a lock for the next franchise to get a team. Spurned again?

967908[/snapback]

LA can go to Hell and die when it comes to getting more sports franchises. S Fla too.