[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

L. Johnson

bluedog

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2161990

Johnson contends he's not a 'woman beater'

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, who turned himself in this week to face an assault charge, contends he's not an abuser of women.

"This is something I don't want to be named for as a woman beater because that is not my M.O.," he said Wednesday. "That is not how I was raised."

Johnson, who scored two touchdowns against the New York Jets on Sunday and appears to be an emerging star, turned himself in Monday to face an assault charge in connection with an altercation with his girlfriend.

He issued a brief statement after practice Wednesday but declined to take questions.

Police Department spokesman Darin Snapp said Johnson was cited for domestic abuse assault after the incident in a Kansas City bar. The woman claimed only that she was bruised.

Johnson posted bond and was released, with a court date set for Sept. 20.

"Basically, I will say this. It is an unfortunate event that happened to me Friday night," Johnson said. "But let's get the fact clear right now. This police report was not signed by this young lady.

"I take my hat off to this young lady to come in and obviously make a report saying something did happen to her. And I also praise her for coming back and saying there's a mistake in that report."

A team spokesman said Johnson was upset that one media outlet broadcast the young woman's name as well as his address and social security number.

"And I feel sorry for her because her information was published on TV and her privacy, which she tried to protect as best she could, is now out there and I feel sorry for her and her family," Johnson said. "And I wish them the best."

Snapp said Johnson became irate after his girlfriend confronted another woman. The running back grabbed his girlfriend by the shoulders and shoved her to the floor, the police report said.

The Kansas City Star reported on its Web site Tuesday that the girlfriend denied that she was pushed or dragged to the door.

"But I should have known better as me being a target," Johnson said. "I'm pretty sure, I'm confident that this will make light of itself and hopefully, I know I won't miss any games and nothing else will come of this. Just basically, this should be the last time this will happen again."

This was not Johnson's first brush with the law.

He was charged in December 2003 with aggravated assault, a felony, and misdemeanor domestic battery for allegedly brandishing a gun during an argument with an ex-girlfriend at his home. He entered a diversion program and was required to complete 120 hours of community service, attend an anger management course and stay out of trouble for two years.

If it's determined he committed a criminal act, Johnson County prosecutor Paul Morrison said his office would file a motion to revoke the diversion.

I don't think that this is incident is going to have much of an impact on Johnson's status on the field.

There is no co-operating witness and no known witnesses to the incident. Going to be pretty tough for the prosecutor to prove anything here.

Of course, this doesn't really change the fact that Johnson is a thug.

Edited by bluedog

I don't think that this is incident is going to have much of an impact on Johnson's status on the field. 

There is no co-operating witness and no known witnesses to the incident.  Going to be pretty tough for the prosecutor to prove anything here.

Of course, this doesn't really change the fact that Johnson is a thug.

992209[/snapback]

good info here

There is no co-operating witness and no known witnesses to the incident.  Going to be pretty tough for the prosecutor to prove anything here.

992209[/snapback]

Unfortunately for LJ and his owners, the problem is that the probation from the PREVIOUS incident stipulated that he stay out of trouble for 2 years. This is less than 2 years later, and charges being filed, even if they are dropped, would certainly constitute "trouble" in most people's books.

Johnson was upset that one media outlet broadcast...his address and social security number.

992022[/snapback]

Thug or not, given the current clime regarding identity theft, I think Larry has some solid ground for a lawsuit.