[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you hope for injuries if they help your squad?

Cunning Runt

Do you hope a player gets injured if it benefits your fantasy team (ex: you hope Stephen Davis goes down if you have DeShaun Foster)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hope a player gets injured if it benefits your fantasy team (ex: you hope Stephen Davis goes down if you have DeShaun Foster)

• Yes - If it helps my squad, sure I do
    • No - it's in poor form to wish for injuries because of karma
    • No - it's in poor form to wish for injuries because it's classless

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did people draft Larry Johnson in Rd 5 because they expected Holmes to go down?

You bet they did. Does that make them bad?

No.

1027170[/snapback]

In fairness to the initial question posed when I started the thread - expecting him to go down and hoping he'd go down are a bit different IMO.

What I'm saying is that if I had Johnson in this scenario, I have no expectations that Priest will or won't go down. I have a hope that he'll go down though, and preferably in week 1 for the season. If I had Priest, then I'd want Johnson down.

Rajn, I generally like and respect what you have to say and on this I'll agree to disagree and you can think I'm a cold-hearted mo-fo. When it comes to this stuff, I freely admit it.

Here's my take and I'm guessing based on the poll results, a lot of people feel the same way:

I view fantasy football as a game that I'm trying win and the players are the game pieces. And I want to win even more because it's against friends, who I definitely want to beat, and if that's not enough - it's for money. I've got about $300 out there with a chance to win close to a couple grand in the various leagues I'm in.

I do not view fantasy football as just an add-on to my favorite sport or team. It's now the primary reason (amongst many others), why I love Sundays during the NFL season. And taking it a step further, if I had to choose between the Colts, my favorite team, or my fantasy team doing well, it would hands-down be my fantasy team that I would want to excel.

So if it's heartless to want Stephen Davis to get a high ankle sprain or whatever so my guy (DeShaun Foster) gets the undisputed #1 RB job, then that's just the way it goes. If I had Davis, it'd be Foster I'd want to see go down. It is absolutely nothing personal. It's a game that I'm trying to win - pure and simple. It's not like I can cause an injury to happen. It's going to happen or not all on its own.

And I saw earlier someone make a comment about - try saying that to an NFL player.  You know what - I think that as competitive as these guys are, they'd know exactly where I'm coming from.

1027137[/snapback]

I guess me & you are made from a completely different mold. I'd gladly see every one of my fantasy teams come in dead last to see my Saints with the Superbowl. That would be a memory cherished forever whereas winning my fantasy league would only bring some brief satisfaction barring hitting the big money in WCOFF.

I also disagree with what you say about NFL players. I think for the most part these guys just love to play & wouldn't wish injury on even their fiercest rivals. Of course you'll always have the roided up psycho's and dirty players who are the exception and that's kinda how I view FF owners who wish ill on players for their benefit.

Did people draft Larry Johnson in Rd 5 because they expected Holmes to go down?

You bet they did. Does that make them bad?

No.

1027170[/snapback]

Completely different scenario, drafting a player high because you think the starter won't finish the season & wishing injury upon someone are so far apart in the realm of morality it's not even funny.

I also disagree with what you say about NFL players. I think for the most part these guys just love to play & wouldn't wish injury on even their fiercest rivals. Of course you'll always have the roided up psycho's and dirty players who are the exception and that's kinda how I view FF owners who wish ill on players for their benefit.

1027248[/snapback]

A couple things here - comparing me to roided up psycho is a bit extreme number 1. Number 2 is that my comment about NFL players you're taking out of context. I don't disagree that on the actual field of play they would likely not wish injury. What I'm saying is that I very much do think that competitive NFL players would not only understand, but appreciate my thought process IF they were in my shoes and not competing on a real field of play. Major distinction.

A couple things here - comparing me to roided up psycho is a bit extreme number 1. Number 2 is that my comment about NFL players you're taking out of context. I don't disagree that on the actual field of play they would likely not wish injury. What I'm saying is that I very much do think that competitive NFL players would not only understand, but appreciate my thought process IF they were in my shoes and not competing on a real field of play. Major distinction.

1027301[/snapback]

LOL, I wasn't calling you a roided up psycho, but I do think it's dirty pool. And I don't understand why a player would, in your words "on the actual field of play... not wish injury" but also "appreciate your thought process." To me that's quite a contridiction. To me it's right along the same lines of fans cheering when their home teams opponents get injured. It's just not right & maybe I'm being naive but I seriously doubt most players would appreciate it on either the actual or fantasy football field.

Completely different scenario, drafting a player high because you think the starter won't finish the season & wishing injury upon someone are so far apart in the realm of morality it's not even funny.

1027248[/snapback]

um, we are all gambling by playing fantasy football. how's that fall in your morality standards. some people even drink beer at their draft << gasp >>. by the looks of some of the avatars in here, there are guys lusting after hot broads. oh my goodness, that owner just ripped off that owner in a trade! wait, look out ... after trouncing my rival in week 1, i danced around the house elated at his misfortune ... need i go on?

this thread is a joke. ff is all in good fun and players getting hurt are part of the strategy of the game. no one wants any player to be hurt, ok? you make it sound like people stay up at night hoping and praying for someone else to sustain injury. lighten up, will ya?

tony

um, we are all gambling by playing fantasy football.  how's that fall in your morality standards.  some people even drink beer at their draft << gasp >>.  by the looks of some of the avatars in here, there are guys lusting after hot broads.  oh my goodness, that owner just ripped off that owner in a trade!  wait, look out ... after trouncing my rival in week 1, i danced around the house elated at his misfortune ... need i go on?

this thread is a joke.  ff is all in good fun and players getting hurt are part of the strategy of the game.  no one wants any player to be hurt, ok?  you make it sound like people stay up at night hoping and praying for someone else to sustain injury.  lighten up, will ya?

tony

1027390[/snapback]

Gambling & drinking are not sins unless they are done in excess. I'm Catholic, you can't make that argument with me. I'm assuming you didn't read all of my posts. If you did you'd see that I've been cracking jokes on the subject all along. How much lighter do you want me to get. I'm not trying to cast stones here. CR can do what he likes & think whatever he wants and truthfully I really don't think any less of him for it, but he asked the question if we think it's ok to wish injury on a player and personally I have to say no. I'd definately prefer to win fairly rather than through injury any day of the week. I'll take it either way but I wouldn't wish it to happen due to injury.

Every year this guy takes a stand about this.

We get it. You are our very own version of Tonya Harding and we appreciate all you do.

Thanks, Tonya! :D

1027372[/snapback]

Was probably me last year too... Nancy. (get it? Tonya and Nancy?)

:D:D:D

I kill me

:D

You do bring it up every year, so you obviously think it's a good talking point. I just don't see what rooting for an injury does for you.

I enjoy all levels of football and had played so much of it growing up, I watch the game for the enjoyment factor...it doesn't matter what level it's played at.

Sitting and watching a game and rooting for an injury is not right, it's not wrong, but I don't do it because fantasy football is just a hobby.

I do know that if I was watching a game with someone who would be vocal about wishing injury on a player "so it could help my fantasy situation" would be somewhat annoying to me.

:D

You do bring it up every year, so you obviously think it's a good talking point. I just don't see what rooting for an injury does for you.

I enjoy all levels of football and had played so much of it growing up, I watch the game for the enjoyment factor...it doesn't matter what level it's played at.

Sitting and watching a game and rooting for an injury is not right, it's not wrong, but I don't do it because fantasy football is just a hobby.

I do know that if I was watching a game with someone who would be vocal about wishing injury on a player "so it could help my fantasy situation" would be somewhat annoying to me.

1027471[/snapback]

I do think there is a clear distinction between "rooting" for and "hoping" for. Rooting suggests to me a proactive, unhealthy approach to what I'm referring to. What I am saying is that if I have a DeShaun Foster for instance, I do hope that something happens to allow for him to be the #1 RB, and in this case, it seems likely that the only way that will happen is for Davis to go down. Do I sit in front of the TV shouting "get hurt Stephen, get hurt"? No, it's not like that. But if I see come Monday morning that Davis did get hurt allowing Foster to secure that job, I certainly don't say "gee, I hope he's ok and can play next week". No, I say "good, I hope he's out a while so I can use Foster if I need to".

In the case of re-visiting it this year, I did so because yes, I do think it makes for good discussion, but also because the topic was being touched on in another thread about Rodney Harrison and it seemed an opportune time to pose the question.

1027248[/snapback]

I beg to differ. When points are on the line and LJ is waiting in the wings, what are your thoughts? And I just used a high draft pick as an example. I coulda just as easily used Toefield....

The DEGREE of thought may differ, but the end result is the same.

I beg to differ. When points are on the line and LJ is waiting in the wings, what are your thoughts? And I just used a high draft pick as an example. I coulda just as easily used Toefield....

The DEGREE of thought may differ, but the end result is the same.

1027574[/snapback]

I think you might get hurt...

I hope you get hurt...

Seems pretty cut & dry to me. I don't see how you could possibly relate the two.

I do have LJ & I traded for him last year because I figured Holmes would either get hurt or retire soon. Yet I have never once hoped that Holmes would get hurt. That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen in this thread.

I think this thread is pointless. Does rooting for an injury actually make it happen? If you sit around a root for an injury when there are great football games on every Sunday, then you are a dumba$$.

I play fantasy football for the added excitement. I'm a big Titans fan so when they are in a down year (like this year so far) it makes the game more fun. I have Larry Johnson on my team and I could care less if Priest gets hurt or not. I'm not gonna sit around rooting or hopeing for him to go down because that isn't gonna do $hit for me unless my name is Jesus. If I see on the bottom line of SportsCenter that Priest is out for the season, Ill think that sux really bad since I like Priest as a player but knowing LJ was on my bench, I can't say I would be pissed off Priest was out for the season.

But I cant believe people sit around and root for players to get injured. I don't even root for my players to do good because what is that going to do for me? Will it control whether or not Shaun Alexander does or does not get the TD if im up and screaming "Give him the ball baby! Give 37 the ball! C'mooooon!" Now whenever he does score, yes I get excited. People hopeing for injuries are idiots too in the sense that because of fantasy people would rather see Maurice Morris, Aaron Stecker, and Michael Turner carrying the ball because they dont have SA, Deuce or LT on their fantasy team. What a joke!

I think this thread is pointless.  Does rooting for an injury actually make it happen?  If you sit around a root for an injury when there are great football games on every Sunday, then you are a dumba$$. 

I play fantasy football for the added excitement.  I'm a big Titans fan so when they are in a down year (like this year so far) it makes the game more fun.  I have Larry Johnson on my team and I could care less if Priest gets hurt or not.  I'm not gonna sit around rooting or hopeing for him to go down because that isn't gonna do $hit for me unless my name is Jesus.  If I see on the bottom line of SportsCenter that Priest is out for the season, Ill think that sux really bad since I like Priest as a player but knowing LJ was on my bench, I can't say I would be pissed off Priest was out for the season. 

But I cant believe people sit around and root for players to get injured.  I don't even root for my players to do good because what is that going to do for me?  Will it control whether or not Shaun Alexander does or does not get the TD if im up and screaming "Give him the ball baby!  Give 37 the ball!  C'mooooon!"  Now whenever he does score, yes I get excited.  People hopeing for injuries are idiots too in the sense that because of fantasy people would rather see Maurice Morris, Aaron Stecker, and Michael Turner carrying the ball because they dont have SA, Deuce or LT on their fantasy team.  What a joke

1027712[/snapback]

Just a question man, just a question and some discussion. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

It's like school on Saturday.  No class.

1027859[/snapback]

So you can honestly sit here and tell me that if you have what you know to be a quality back up RB rotting on your bench, that you would not like to see the starter go down so you can use your guy?

Okay, I guess I believe you. There's not an owner in any of my leagues that would agree with you if so.

I find some of these moralistic comments amusing, I really do. Because for the most part, I ain't buyin'.

So you can honestly sit here and tell me that if you have what you know to be a quality back up RB rotting on your bench, that you would not like to see the starter go down so you can use your guy?

1027899[/snapback]

I don't know about anybody else, but I can honestly say that.

I find some of these moralistic comments amusing, I really do. Because for the most part, I ain't buyin'.

1027899[/snapback]

Like I said, I'm definately not one to cast any stones here. Everyone does things that someone could consider morally wrong. The difference in this situation is where I may do something wrong I know it's wrong & feel guilty for it. I don't try to justify it and seek out others that agree with it to make myself feel better. Again, this is just my opinion on the subject at hand. It really makes no difference to me whether you think it's ok or not and I still don't think any less of you for it. You just asked for others opinion and I gave mine.

Alright, and that was just a response "man", I wasn't getting my panties in a bunch "man"

1027926[/snapback]

Do you not like being called a man? I don't think he meant anything by that, the automatic assumption here unless otherwise stated is that were all men. :D