[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Priest hurt?

jknyc

From Fanball:

After facing the Chiefs on Monday night in Denver, Broncos defensive end Trevor Pryce speculated that Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes wasn't running at 100 percent. "Priest Holmes, I don't think he... I think he's hurt. Quite honestly, I think there's something wrong," he told the Denver Post after the game.

KC homers, any word on this? :D

Maybe the problem was that he didn't have 10-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf creating monster truck-sized lanes for him to run through. Given that Larry Freaking Johnson's averaging 6.3 yards/carry behind that line, the success of that running game is obviously more closely tied to the health of the linemen than who's toting the rock. If Roaf and Shields were to both go down with season-ending injuries, my guess is that both Priest and LJ would struggle to average 4 yards/carry.

Priest looked relatively sharp to me last night but, given that he turns 32 in a couple weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if he's beginning to slow down a bit.

Roaf.

1025864[/snapback]

I agree with that....but he does appear to be slowing down and needing alot of breathers early in games...

maybe Vermeil is splitting carries this much for a reason...more than just how good Johnson is....you didn't see blaylock come in last year unless it was a blowout or if Holmes was hurt....

If I was a Priest owner...I'd try to move him if I could...

I agree with that....but he does appear to be slowing down and needing alot of breathers early in games...

maybe Vermeil is splitting carries this much for a reason...more than just how good Johnson is....you didn't see blaylock come in last year unless it was a blowout or if Holmes was hurt....

If I was a Priest owner...I'd try to move him if I could...

1025868[/snapback]

There was an interesting article in the Star this weekend about them. Basically it said that Holmes considers himself a mentor to Johnson and that he is giving himself more breathers so Johnson can get in the flow of the game.

I think Holmes really wants to last out the season in hopes the Chiefs can make the postseason.

The reality is that Holmes is still a must start IMO, but the days of the CONSISTENT monster games are over.

Where are all the people that were saying that Larry Johnson wasn't going to see the field, and that picking LJ high was a mistake?

1025872[/snapback]

yuup...it was a huge risk to take him where you got him....the person who drafted him in my league took him in the 5th, I was going to wait until the 7th....but he must have wanted him very badly...

yuup...it was a huge risk to take him where you got him....the person who drafted him in my league took him in the 5th, I was going to wait until the 7th....but he must have wanted him very badly...

1025876[/snapback]

The payoff may yet come in December if Priest is rested. KC may not be in that position though.

There was an interesting article in the Star this weekend about them. Basically it said that Holmes considers himself a mentor to Johnson and that he is giving himself more breathers so Johnson can get in the flow of the game.

I think Holmes really wants to last out the season in hopes the Chiefs can make the postseason.

1025875[/snapback]

Has there been any KC media speculation of the Chiefs trading or releasing Holmes after this season? Given his age, injury history, and Johnson's success in that offense, it might make sense. Then again, it might be a very bad PR move.

Remember when Emmitt was running thru truck size holes in the 'boys heyday.. and EVERY Denver RB was a lock for 1000 yards.. The under appreciated OL has alot to do with RB stats. Priest wll still get the job done. You better be more worried about Trent Green's stats.

They really need to re-evaluate when they are in the red zone. Even if it is LJ's series you have to put Priest in the game. He has a nose for the end zone.

1026172[/snapback]

Yeah I remember hearing Madden say that last night...it's true. They should do what's best for the team, not what will make LJ happy. Maybe after this asskicking, they'll do just that.

Yeah I remember hearing Madden say that last night...it's true.  They should do what's best for the team, not what will make LJ happy.  Maybe after this asskicking, they'll do just that.

1026189[/snapback]

I don't think they were keeping LJ to make him happy. The plan is obviously 2 series for Holmes, then one for LJ. Two more series for Holmes and then another one for LJ. The fact that LJ's drives were longer meant he got a few more touches early on but that's not to make him happy, he gets the complete drive. However, I do agree that they needed to get Priest in there when they got to within 15 yards of the endzone (and I'm an LJ owner and started him).

They really need to re-evaluate when they are in the red zone. Even if it is LJ's series you have to put Priest in the game. He has a nose for the end zone.

1026172[/snapback]

Maybe they should regulate Holmes to the red zone and let LJ play every series until then.

That would make me happy. :D

Not sure why some are so giddy over LJ.  If he continues to get just a handful of touches per game he's not worth starting unless you are desperate....

When LJ becomes the starter lets talk.. until then he is planted on my bench.

1026506[/snapback]

because he's getting every third series. That's better than most back-ups. Plus, look what he's doing with those opportunities:

26 carries 164 yards 3 TD's

Has there been any KC media speculation of the Chiefs trading or releasing Holmes after this season?  Given his age, injury history, and Johnson's success in that offense, it might make sense.  Then again, it might be a very bad PR move.

1025893[/snapback]

I see him retiring first. But no media speculation regarding that.

because he's getting every third series.  That's better than most back-ups.  Plus, look what he's doing with those opportunities:

26 carries 164 yards 3 TD's

1026529[/snapback]

He should definitely be owned, but if you start him you run more of a risk to get a goosegg than with any normal starting RB...I mean I seriously doubt that he's going to average over 6 yards a carry for the season. For example, last night he had 8 carries for 13 yards and a fumble. In standard performance scoring, that's a -1 for the week. All I'm saying is that if you're going to start him on a regular basis, you'd better be prepared to take as many crap games as big ones.

He should definitely be owned, but if you start him you run more of a risk to get a goosegg than with any normal starting RB...I mean I seriously doubt that he's going to average over 6 yards a carry for the season.  For example, last night he had 8 carries for 13 yards and a fumble.  In standard performance scoring, that's a -1 for the week.  All I'm saying is that if you're going to start him on a regular basis, you'd better be prepared to take as many crap games as big ones.

1026627[/snapback]

Oh I agree. But having him stashed as your third RB over guys like Suggs, Bell, and Staley isn't too bad. Things can only get better for LJ's playing time, I think.

He should definitely be owned, but if you start him you run more of a risk to get a goosegg than with any normal starting RB...I mean I seriously doubt that he's going to average over 6 yards a carry for the season.  For example, last night he had 8 carries for 13 yards and a fumble.  In standard performance scoring, that's a -1 for the week.  All I'm saying is that if you're going to start him on a regular basis, you'd better be prepared to take as many crap games as big ones.

1026627[/snapback]

Exactly. Another words desperate.