[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team Defenses Report

Bill Swerski

Um, so, why are the Colts listed at the bottom of the third tier this week (vs. TEN)? I relize that the Titans offense scored 25 points against the Ravens (who can't sustain offensive drives) and 20 points against a horrible Rams defense, but they also got their a$$es handed to them by the Steelers in Week 4. I think that the Colts are more comparable to the Steelers than the other two. And, of course, they've only given up 16 points over three games.

But the Colts/Titans matchup this week is going to be a "shootout"? I'm sorry, did Drew Bennett morph into Randy Moss earlier this week? I could see the Colts D giving up 20 to TEN, but that's not exactly what I'd call a "shootout". And I have no problem with somebody picking an upset, but I'd at least like to see some justification for it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone outside of Indy is convinced of their D yet. Maybe when they face a team with a level of offense that's one step above down syndrome. I've looked at their other stats, and they are 21st in total yardage allowed and 23rd against the pass.

But I'm not one of these people who are having to start them, so I'm not worried about it.

they also got their a$$es handed to them by the Steelers in Week 4.

1031013[/snapback]

That's amazing :D

Just messing with ya Bill :D

Oh! And you're right. Colts D ranked too low, IMO.

Edited by Big Score 1

Maybe because Bob Cunningham project 23-20 Titans?? :D

1031051[/snapback]

Even that's not a "shootout".

While I'm sure that the Colts D will give up a TD or two to the Titans, I don't see how one can predict a shootout when the Colts D has only given up one TD over the first three games (and that was in garbage time during a blowout). I expect more than that from Huddle fantasy advice columns.

Even that's not a "shootout".

While I'm sure that the Colts D will give up a TD or two to the Titans, I don't see how one can predict a shootout when the Colts D has only given up one TD over the first three games (and that was in garbage time during a blowout).  I expect more than that from Huddle fantasy advice columns.

1031243[/snapback]

call it a gut fealing and drop it

I think that the Colts are more comparable to the Steelers than the other two. 

1031013[/snapback]

Now, don't let your homer pride get you tooo far ahead of yourself ... a couple good games doesn't make you the Steeeeeeelers ... :D But then again, you did say "are more comparable" -- and I'll give you that. I just like to see Steeeeeeeeeelers and :D in the same sentence.

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Who has Indy played? (BAL/JAX/CLE) I think it's simply a combination of the Indy D being overated and the Titan's offense being underated. (got stuffed by Pitt, then scored 52 points against BAL and STL)

I can see where he's coming from.

Edited by Roo

Yes, but I'm paying for this content.  Do I not have a right to voice my opinion when the content is sub-par?

1031287[/snapback]

Bill, you can't really say that the pay content is sub par just because somebody elses opinion of the Colts D doesn't jive with your own.

Now criticising pay content like last weeks, where Lamar Smith was listed as Westbrooks back up, or this weeks, where Antrell Rolle is said to be matched up against either Battle or Lloyd when Rolle is out for the next month....now those are valid examples of sub par pay content.

Bill, you can't really say that the pay content is sub par just because somebody elses opinion of the Colts D doesn't jive with your own.

Now criticising pay content like last weeks, where Lamar Smith was listed as Westbrooks back up, or this weeks, where Antrell Rolle is said to be matched up against either Battle or Lloyd when Rolle is out for the next month....now those are valid examples of sub par pay content.

1031381[/snapback]

bingo

1031381[/snapback]

OK, so a team that has only given up 16 points in three weeks and hasn't given up a TD in two is suddenly going to be involved in a "shootout" with a good-but-not-great offense? Where's the supporting evidence? Again, that sounds more like wishful thinking than an objective analysis of the matchup.

Perhaps you're correct that "sub-par" isn't the appropriate label. Maybe I'll go with "subjective". Either way, it's obvious that the author didn't put much thought into his analysis.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Did you read my post? Indy has played terrible offenses thus far.

Ten put up 25 against BAL and 27 against STL.

He might simply be looking at the matchups. So they aren't quite an elite defense, but still an ok pick. Is that crazy?

I don't think highly of the Colts or Bengals defenses myself .

I feel that both defenses are overrated.

1031508[/snapback]

I need to see both of these teams play a good offense on the road before I can really decide.

Are they both better? Yes.

Will they be improved than last year? Most likely.

Are they able to sustain their high output for the remainder of the year? :D

Did you read my post? 

Ten put up 25 against BAL and 27 against STL. 

1031488[/snapback]

TEN put up 20 (not 27) against a horrible STL defense. Putting up 25 points against the Ravens is only moderately impressive, given that their defense is on the field 70% of the time. Hell, even the Bears were able to hold Cincy to 10 points in the first half before Kyle "INT" Orton wore them out.

Indy has played terrible offenses thus far.

Yet another reason why there's no basis for predicting a "shootout".

I don't know about you, but there's no way in hell I bench Indy's defense right now. Fantasy Rule #1: Go with the hot hand until it shows signs of weakening. Even if they give up 20 points this week (which is reasonable, but far from "shootout" territory), they're still piling up tons of sacks.

Perhaps you're correct that "sub-par" isn't the appropriate label.  Maybe I'll go with "subjective".

1031468[/snapback]

Here I was thinking to myself, "What's this? A kinder gentler Bill?". :D

I was actually getting kind of freaked out, until I read the next sentence

Either way, it's obvious that the author didn't put much thought into his analysis.

1031468[/snapback]

Nope! Same old ornery Bill :D

And I'm not picking on you Bill. We all know you call it like you see it, tact be darned.

The over/under is 45, not exactly a "shootout", but clearly alot of people are expecting some points to be scored. The only three games with higher over/unders are the Giants/Rams(47), Pats/Chargers(47) and Chiefs/Eagles(45.5).

The Jets/Ravens O/U is 31! I'm not sure I've seen anything that low before! :D

This is so aggrivating.

Indy has played POOR offenses, thus their DEFENSE might look a little better than it actually is.

You match them up with an underated offense like TEN, who have a weak defense, and you potentially have two solid offenses, going against two mediocre defenses.

Potential shootout.

And shootouts are bad for both defenses.

It's a prediction, and I think it's pretty well founded. Holy crap.

Not everyone outside of Indy is convinced of their D yet. Maybe when they face a team with a level of offense that's one step above down syndrome. I've looked at their other stats, and they are 21st in total yardage allowed and 23rd against the pass.

1031170[/snapback]

:D...the Titans can at least move the ball...they have a better ground game than the opponents they have faced....Bennett is still a good wideout and Brandon jones will do well this week IMO...

he keeps getting more and more looks...I was going to grab him last week, but someone already snatched him up...

First of all: :D

Secondly, I think it's gonna be a shootout. Indy will score at will on the Titans, and the Titans will be forced to throw. Alot. Will they succeed? Not enough to win, but enough to put 20+ on the board. Of course, I could be wrong. But do I have a crystal ball that's telling me stuff? No.

Apparently Bill does.

Who has Indy played?  (BAL/JAX/CLE)  I think it's simply a combination of the Indy D being overated and the Titan's offense being underated.  (got stuffed by Pitt, then scored 52 points against BAL and STL)

I can see where he's coming from.

1031274[/snapback]

Honestly, Indy's D has been superb, and wanted to put them higher. But honestly, their secondary and LBs aren't big playmakers. And like I said, the Titans should be playing from behind all afternoon.

The over/under is 45, not exactly a "shootout", but clearly alot of people are expecting some points to be scored.  The only three games with higher over/unders are the Giants/Rams(47), Pats/Chargers(47) and Chiefs/Eagles(45.5).

The Jets/Ravens O/U is 31!  I'm not sure I've seen anything that low before!  :D

1031570[/snapback]

Right, another consideration of mine. Figure Indy will score at least 27 on the Titans. So, 27-20... something like that. That, in my mind, is a shootout. Borderline, but still.

This is so aggrivating. 

Indy has played POOR offenses, thus their DEFENSE might look a little better than it actually is. 

You match them up with an underated offense like TEN, who have a weak defense, and you potentially have two solid offenses, going against two mediocre defenses.

Potential shootout.

And shootouts are bad for both defenses. 

It's a prediction, and I think it's pretty well founded.  Holy crap.

1031732[/snapback]

Correct on all accounts.