[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL sucks

rajncajn

I can't believe they're blacking out the Saints game. :D

1038342[/snapback]

It's all about money and their control. That does suck.

During the SD game during the fires tickets were given away for free at Tempe. They should have bought those frickin tickets and given them away to Saints fans in SA. And then lift the blackout.

NEW: NFL blackout rule won't apply in S.A.

Web Posted: 09/29/2005 02:21 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced today that the league's TV blackout policy will not apply to any of the three New Orleans Saints games scheduled for the Alamodome this season.

Tagliabue's decision means Sunday's game between the Saints and the Buffalo Bills - the first regular-season game ever held in San Antonio - will be televised locally by CBS affiliate KENS 5. Kickoff is scheduled for noon.

Tagliabue said the other two Saints games in San Antonio - Oct. 16 against Atlanta and Dec. 24 against Detroit - will be made available to KABB, the local Fox affiliate, for optional use by the station.

Because the Oct. 16 and Dec. 24 games are NFC contests, TV feeds would go to the Fox affiliate.

The local Fox affiliate, KABB, has indicated it is not interested in carrying the games because of time-slot conflicts on both days with Dallas Cowboys games.

The NFL's TV policy requires local blackouts for home games not sold out 72 hours before kickoff. A blackout for Sunday's Saints-Bills game, had the policy been applied, would have kicked in at noon today. Unsold tickets at noon totaled 10,800.

"The NFL would like to congratulate both the New Orleans Saints and the greater San Antonio community for a job well done under very difficult circumstances related to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita," Tagliabue said. "To sell more than 140,000 tickets (for the three games) under such extraordinary adversity is a testament to everyone involved."

So, let's get this straight. The black-out is not being applied to San Antonio, but it is being applied to New Orleans?!?

what a joke

While there are rules in place about blackouts/sellouts, I find it hard to believe that it could not be suspended for what is a unique situation. It would be far better for the NFL as a league to broadcast it locally, particularly with all the displaced New Orleans people that ended up there. Very bad call.

While there are rules in place about blackouts/sellouts, I find it hard to believe that it could not be suspended for what is a unique situation. It would be far better for the NFL as a league to broadcast it locally, particularly with all the displaced New Orleans people that ended up there. Very bad call.

1038371[/snapback]

Do they ever make exceptions?

Do they ever make exceptions?

1038402[/snapback]

Even if making exceptions was unprecedented--this situation trumps anything else that has ever happened in the NFL.

If the NFL cannot will not make an exception in this case, then f'ck the NFL.

Edited by wiegie

Problem is the only people that can force change on this is us. Want to see it change, stop going to games, stop watching games on TV, stop buying anything with an NFL logo on it. Just not going to happen. And this isn't a mightier than thou rant, I'm just as guilty as anybody else.

Problem is the only people that can force change on this is us.  Want to see it change, stop going to games, stop watching games on TV, stop buying anything with an NFL logo on it.  Just not going to happen.  And this isn't a mightier than thou rant, I'm just as guilty as anybody else.

1038452[/snapback]

To be honest, I could see myself cutting back on NFL-related activities because of this.

Even if making exceptions was unprecedented--this situation trumps anything else that has ever happened in the NFL.

If the NFL cannot will not make an exception in this case, then f'ck the NFL.

1038414[/snapback]

the NFL is big business - big business doesn't care about people

it's all about the money

That is a freaking joke, I can't believe it!