[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh McCown

Bombs Away

First of all, will Warner be back next Sunday? Second, was Josh's performance more a result of SF's terrible pass D? Third, will he fend off Warner from getting his job back? Finally, is he worth acquiring?

I have Culpepper on a bye, and McNair as my 2nd QB against the Texans this week. I like the matchup, but I also like Josh's receivers, even against Carolina. Hell, I'd be willing to take a chance on Josh as a spot starter over Daunte :D

He's shown promise. The Cards' brass and coaching staff grew impatient with him. They brought in Warner... as with those 2 stud WRs and what was supposed to be an improved rushing attack, the veteran Warner was supposed to be "the answer". Well, he was average at best before getting hurt. McCown has a decent arm and is a heck of a scrambler. Michael Vick he is not, but he can certainly scramble away from would-be sackers and pressure up the middle. And, like I mentioned, he has 2 stud WRs to throw to... and a decent run game. I think he'll be a solid bye week filler QB or decent starting QB if you're strong elsewhere and hurting at QB. Arizona's gonna be down alot and passing to keep up. Plus, many of their remaining opponents (STL twice, TEN, DET, SF again, HOU) aren't exactly defensive gems. I'm picking him up in a league where Harrington and Volek are my backups.

He's shown promise.  The Cards' brass and coaching staff grew impatient with him.  They brought in Warner... as with those 2 stud WRs and what was supposed to be an improved rushing attack, the veteran Warner was supposed to be "the answer".  Well, he was average at best before getting hurt.  McCown has a decent arm and is a heck of a scrambler.  Michael Vick he is not, but he can certainly scramble away from would-be sackers and pressure up the middle.  And, like I mentioned, he has 2 stud WRs to throw to... and a decent run game.  I think he'll be a solid bye week filler QB or decent starting QB if you're strong elsewhere and hurting at QB.  Arizona's gonna be down alot and passing to keep up.  Plus, many of their remaining opponents (STL twice, TEN, DET, SF again, HOU) aren't exactly defensive gems.  I'm picking him up in a league where Harrington and Volek are my backups.

1040403[/snapback]

Yep, that's what I figure. Playing from behind, 2 solid receivers. I'm just curious if Dennis Green is ready to pull the plug on Warner this early in the season. If he is, I'll take a flier on McCown especially since Cpepper is not giving me any warm fuzzies this year.

With Boldin and Fitz he's got about as good a set of big play WR's out there, so I think he'll do OK. The line isn't great, he's inexperienced, the running game is mediocre at best, so that won't help, but when he has a decent matchup he's worth a look imo.

With Boldin and Fitz he's got about as good a set of big play WR's out there, so I think he'll do OK. The line isn't great, he's inexperienced, the running game is mediocre at best, so that won't help, but when he has a decent matchup he's worth a look imo.

1040414[/snapback]

Thanks Hugh and Darin. Could be a little Bulger lite. Yes, and I do like his schedule. Hugh, do you think Warner is done?

Thanks Hugh and Darin.  Could be a little Bulger lite.  Yes, and I do like his schedule.  Hugh, do you think Warner is done?

1040418[/snapback]

Dunno. Theoretically, you're not supposed to lose your job to injury, but we all know that's a load of crap. In other words, if McCown plays VERY well, and the Cards win a few games, it'll be hard for Denny Green to pull McCown in favor of Warner.

Warner's got a bad groin, he should be back in a few weeks. Let's see how McCown does against real teams. Also, even if they do go back to Warner, there are obviously durability issues, which could have McCown back on the field in the not too distant future regardless.

The 49ers passing defense is so bad (and incredibly banged up), there is no way you can determine what he's bringing to the table. IMO, this is Warner's job when he's back to health. He had some decent games last year, but was really bad besides those instances.

The 49ers passing defense is so bad (and incredibly banged up), there is no way you can determine what he's bringing to the table. IMO, this is Warner's job when he's back to health. He had some decent games last year, but was really bad besides those instances.

1040465[/snapback]

Agree, but on the other hand, Warner hasn't been great this year either. If he'd been tearing up the league when he went down it'd be one thing, but he wasn't, so if McCown has success, I could see Green sticking with him. JMHO.

McClown was over-throwing Boldin and Fitz for most of the first half. I don't think he has the accuracy to be a consistent fantasy starter (or an NFL starter, for that matter). He'll have big games against horrible secondaries and then suck against good ones.

McClown was over-throwing Boldin and Fitz for most of the first half.  I don't think he has the accuracy to be a consistent fantasy starter (or an NFL starter, for that matter).  He'll have big games against horrible secondaries and then suck against good ones.

1040486[/snapback]

Don't forget that playing at that altitude requires getting used to. As I recall from some online articles. some kickoffs sailed throught the endzone! :D

There was a little adjustment in the first half. Also as far as last year is concerned, Josh didn't have Boldin for the better part of the year.

1040465[/snapback]

Agreed. The Niners secondary makes everyone's passing stats look good. Considering how often McCown stalled out in the red zone, I wouldn't say he's a spectacular addition. But in big leagues he's got enough upside and a soft enough schedule that you add him now in hopes that he'll continue to get better before you actually have to use him, which is hopefully never.

Spot use him against weaker teams, last year he excelled against divisional opponents Stl,SF,Sea he threw for 1466yds 9tds - with a high game against StL where he threw for 287 yards 2 tds and rushed for 33yds and 2 tds-he's good bye week filler

1040514[/snapback]

That's the point, great division for a lot of passing.

12/12 SF L 28-31 307 0 1

12/19 STL W 31-7 287 2 0

12/26 @SEA L 21-24 248 3 2

Edited by Bombs Away

Don't forget that playing at that altitude requires getting used to.  As I recall from some online articles. some kickoffs sailed throught the endzone!  :D 

1040508[/snapback]

That still won't account for the fact that he was throwing 20-yard passes five feet over the heads of his recievers.

McClown makes a decent bye-week start if he's playing one of the horrible secondaries in his division, but I wouldn't start him against the Eagles or anything. It's a shame that he's dragging down the fantasy value of very solid WRs like Boldin and Fitzgerald.

That still won't account for the fact that he was throwing 20-yard passes five feet over the heads of his recievers.

McClown makes a decent bye-week start if he's playing one of the horrible secondaries in his division, but I wouldn't start him against the Eagles or anything.  It's a shame that he's dragging down the fantasy value of very solid WRs like Boldin and Fitzgerald.

1040678[/snapback]

I don't quite understand. How is he dragging them down? Warner wasn't lighting it up, McCown had 1 good start against a bad team. How can the jury be out on this already?

I don't quite understand. How is he dragging them down? Warner wasn't lighting it up, McCown had 1 good start against a bad team. How can the jury be out on this already?

1040683[/snapback]

I didn't mean that McClown was dragging down the passing game in comparison to Warner. Just saying that Boldin and Fitz would be putting up MUCH better numbers on a lot of other offenses.

I didn't mean that McClown was dragging down the passing game in comparison to Warner.  Just saying that Boldin and Fitz would be putting up MUCH better numbers on a lot of other offenses.

1040691[/snapback]

Ahh, OK, that makes sense, I must have misunderstood. :D