[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush ... and the Texans

Grits and Shins

Here are the past Heisman winners since 1980 and how I feel they did as pros.

1981 Marcus Allen USC RB Sr. 1,797 :D

1982 Herschel Walker Georgia RB Jr. 1,926 :D

1983 Mike Rozier Nebraska RB Sr. 1,801 :D

1985 Bo Jackson Auburn RB Sr. 1,509 :D 

1988 Barry Sanders Oklahoma State RB Jr. 1,878 :D

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB Jr. 1,743  :D

1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB Sr. 1,460 :D

1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB Sr. 2,355 :D

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB Sr. 2,042 ::D

1214398[/snapback]

Since Bush is a RB it probably makes sense to only consider the previous Heisman winners that were RBs.

Based on your ratings since 1980 ... 6 of the 9 RB Heisman winners since 1980 have done well. Although I would argue that Bo Jackson's career was too short to term him a success although it is clear he would have been. I'd also argue that the jury is still out on Ricky Williams.

In my mind the stand outs on that list are:

Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders. Those were the guys that you regretted passing on. You didn't really regret passing on any of the others.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Bush is a RB it probably makes sense to only consider the previous Heisman winners that were RBs.

Based on your ratings since 1980 ... 6 of the 9 RB Heisman winners since 1980 have done well.  Although I would argue that Bo Jackson's career was too short to term him a success although it is clear he would have been.  I'd also argue that the jury is still out on Ricky Williams.

In my mind the stand outs on that list are:

Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders.  Those were the guys that you regretted passing on.  You didn't really regret passing on any of the others.

1214433[/snapback]

Thats sounds fair enough. I agree that on the list Allen and Sanders were the the only 2 standouts. My opinion on Jackson (would have been an all time great had he not gotten injured) and Williams (cleary had consistant success, until he decided to smoke it away) is mainly that they were not complete and total busts like most of the others. FWIW, Rozier was decent, just not spectacular.

Bush weighs about 200 lbs soaking wet.

When they entered the league both Edge and LT had 15-20 lbs more than that.

If he is drafted by a team with a bad offensive line he will be too beat up to run the ball anywhere near 20 times per game with his weight.

The best fit for his talent would be on a running team like Pitt or Denver.

Sorry but he will not help a team that has a poor O-line.

1213830[/snapback]

Right on. LenDale White is a better plug in and play NFL player than Bush is. He'll have to add some weight, which will diminish his top notch speed. Throw in the fact that everyone is so much faster than the mainly Pac10 teams he faced and all of the Gale Sayers (really, now) comparisons will evaporate.

The best type of career he'll enjoy will be one like Warrick Dunn's.

BTW - LenDale White has the USC career TD record, according to local LA radio. If true, that says alot about Bush's achilles: he's not a goal line back even in college. Hence, he's not a 25 carry/NFL game guy.

Right on. LenDale White is a better plug in and play NFL player than Bush is. He'll have to add some weight, which will diminish his top notch speed. Throw in the fact that everyone is so much faster than the mainly Pac10 teams he faced and all of the Gale Sayers (really, now) comparisons will evaporate.

The best type of career he'll enjoy will be one like Warrick Dunn's.

BTW - LenDale White has the USC career TD record, according to local LA radio. If true, that says alot about Bush's achilles: he's not a goal line back even in college. Hence, he's not a 25 carry/NFL game guy.

1214501[/snapback]

Do the Heismann voters know about this? I knew that thing was fixed!!! :D

White is a product of the HUGE O-line at USC. He hasn't proven to be anything more than a breather for Bush and probably carries Bush's pads to the locker room after the game. Why put Bush out there to bang it at the goal line when all you need is someone who won't drop the ball? With that O-line, they're not going to get hit anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
White -- and Vince Young -- was the best NFL-ready-right-this-very-second RB on the field last night, hands down.

1248905[/snapback]

Perhaps. Texas knew that to beat USC they had to stop Reggie Bush. They game planned for it ... and then they executed. I'm not sure that means that Lindell is any more prepared for the NFL than Reggie, although Lindell did look good last night.

I'm beginning to wonder if Bush can even run between the tackles at all. He always looks to get to the corner so he can try and put a juke on someone. That won't cut it in the nfl.

My main question on Reggie Bush is this, if this guy is the best player in college football, WHY wasn't he on the field in the 4th quarter when USC needed to run the clock to seal the game? Why was his back up out there?

Wouldn't you want your best player, or as Dan Fouts said, "The best player EVER in college football", out on the field when the game is on the line?

Perhaps.  Texas knew that to beat USC they had to stop Reggie Bush.  They game planned for it ... and then they executed.  I'm not sure that means that Lindell is any more prepared for the NFL than Reggie, although Lindell did look good last night.

1248912[/snapback]

Is White going pro this year? I'm not sure what year he is and if he was projected as a top pick or what.....but he looked great last night and Texas's D was supposedly 6th in the nation so thats sayin something. He was a lot quicker and faster than I thought.

Is White going pro this year?  I'm not sure what year he is and if he was projected as a top pick or what.....but he looked great last night and Texas's D was supposedly 6th in the nation so thats sayin something.  He was a lot quicker and faster than I thought.

1249059[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure he's a senior.