[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush ... and the Texans

Grits and Shins

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the draft history for the Texans. They have essentially used a pick every year to take a running back. All four of these backs are still on the current roster. So possibly the trend continues by drafting Bush. Seems logical :D

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

4 99 Jonathan Wells RB Ohio State

4 101 Domanick Davis RB Louisiana State

The Houston Texans have taken Georgia Tech running back Tony Hollings with its second-round selection (No. 32 overall) in the 2003 NFL Supplemental Draft. Thus, Houston has forfeited its second of two second-round selections in the 2004 NFL Draft.

Forfeited 2nd Round Pick for Hollings

3 73 Morency, Vernand RB 5-9 212 Oklahoma State

I am another one of the few Texans fans here. I agree with everyone who says they should trade the #1 pick if they get it. Bush would be great but I think they could improve their team more by trading the pick away and getting O lineman and better defensive players. I can't imagine Bush doing THAT much better behind the Houston O Line than what DD is already doing. As a Texan fan I am frustrated with a lot of things but Davis is not one of them. He is one of the bright spots on the team. Wells has done well backing up Davis. Upgrading at RB does not seem like the smartest move for the Texans.

Trade the pick and let's start preparing for a playoff run in '07.

Bush weighs about 200 lbs soaking wet.

When they entered the league both Edge and LT had 15-20 lbs more than that.

If he is drafted by a team with a bad offensive line he will be too beat up to run the ball anywhere near 20 times per game with his weight.

The best fit for his talent would be on a running team like Pitt or Denver.

Sorry but he will not help a team that has a poor O-line.

That doesn't seem like a good way to approach the draft ... well we took Reggie because we didn't want to be the team that passed on him.

Remember, just because he is supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean he will be.  As I recall everybody was high on Benson, Brown and Arrington as well.

Heisman winners very often flop in the NFL.

1213006[/snapback]

I understand your point, however, if the Texans feel that Reggie IS that good then they should take him. For the first time in years, I believe the heisman actually went to the most talented football player rather than the most hyped player on a top ranked team.

Personally, I think Reggie will be phenomenal. So if I were the Texans, I would take him and deal with DD later. The following phrase comes to mind should the Texans pass on Bush...

"... and with the 2nd pick of the 1984 draft, the Portalnd Trailblazers select Sam Bowie from the University of Kentucky."

Gotta pass on Bush and address the o-line. Certainly the Texans have to have enough smarts to be able to evaluate the weaknesses of the o-line and address those weaknesses.

Trade down in the first, get a couple of high picks (maybe a first and second) and let someone else take a chance on Reggie. He is a phenomenal talent (in college), but he has not been immune to injuries either.

If you are going to make the statement that Leinert has more talent around him at USC than he will in the pros, you have to make the same statement about Bush. If Leinert has benefitted from a great supporting cast, then so has Bush.

I would like to have seen Bush take the pounding (did I just say that?) for the entire year, instead of sharing carries with White. That would make me feel a little better about taking him at #1.

You must be talking about Vick. manning went to the Colts with the no. 1 which they had all along. SD took Leaf at #2.

The Vick deal became the picks the Chargers used to draft LT and Brees. Not a bad deal for the Chargers.

1213137[/snapback]

I think he was talking about the way the Chargers drafted Eli Manning 2 years ago and traded him to the Giants, because they knew they were so high on him.

Davis isn't getting younger and he has a lot of miles on him behind that horrible line. 

1213146[/snapback]

How is 3 years in the league "a lot of miles?" Sure he has had his share of being nicked up, but I wouldnt necessarily say he had a lot of miles. :D

Haven't read the whole thread, but I try to trade Dom Davis and take Bush.  HArd to pass up someone who could be a REALLY special player.

1213182[/snapback]

COULD be a really special player, but thats not guaranteed. If you remember teams wouldnt even give a 2nd or 3rd for Shaun Alexander of Edgerin James last year, so the most I think you would get out of Domanick would be a 4th, low 3rd at the most.

A couple comments:

1. I would trade the pick if the Texans get it. DD is the real thing, who knows what Reggie Bush is. I was listening to KNBR here in the Bay Area, and they were talking about Reggie Bush and how the reason that he is so widely touted as a lock for the NFL is his 8.8 yards per carry average, which is an NCAA record. However, the next best career NCAA YPC mark (8.1 YPC) is held by another Heisman winner, Mike Rozier of the Nebraska Cornhuskers--and he did squat in the NFL.

2. Also being discussed on KNBR is the last game of the season, Texans at 49ers--the "Reggie-bowl". Will either team try to win it?

Zia is right on all counts. Ikirc -- always make sure you're right before you correct someone else.

There are a few other problems Houston will be facing IF they end up with the #1 pick (which they won't).

First, Casserly has tried to assemble a decent O-line through any means BUT the draft during his reign as GM. Obviously, this method has failed. Do you really think he's going to take his chances with free-agent O-linemen AGAIN? I mean, he seems to have a good eye for skill players (Carr, A. Johnson), but what good are they doing? None, because Carr is getting killed.

Second, as someone else mentioned, Bush is they type of RB who can take hits from LBs and DBs, but would get CRUSHED by NFL defensive linemen. He's just never going to be solid enough to absorb constant hits from DTs and DEs behind the line of scrimmage...and that's exactly what will happen behind a bad O-line.

Third, D'Brickashaw Ferguson IS the best O-lineman available, largely because he has the athleticism to play LT right away. However, IF they Texans end up with the top pick (which they won't), how far could they possibly trade down and still get Ferguson? Think about it...the Jets and the 49ers could also be looking at Ferguson. So, Houston could trade down to #2 and still get their guy, but at #3, they'd be risking the #2 team stealing Ferguson. In fact, almost ALL of the teams who figure to be in the top ten (Ravens, Titans, Lions, Cardinals, Saints, Browns) could use an offensive tackle. And, if they only move down one spot, how much could they possibly get in a trade?

Luckily for the Texans, they'll be picking 3rd behind the 49ers and Jets. They'll just have to hope that the Jets like Matt Leinart more than they're letting on.

i say move down, maybe even twice...d'brickashaw ferguson

1213145[/snapback]

I've got a friend of mine that is the other starting Tackle on UVA's team and while this guy tells me that Ferguson is a stud he also tells me that he's not very strong. Ferguson has quick feet and is very agile but he's not much of a run blocker. This wasn't exposed this season because UVA abandoned the run all season. If you watched Ferguson play against FSU you would've seen him getting tossed around by FSU D-Lineman. I think the kid's way over-rated personally. I'd build that O-line with proven veterans.

I've got a friend of mine that is the other starting Tackle on UVA's team and while this guy tells me that Ferguson is a stud he also tells me that he's not very strong.  Ferguson has quick feet and is very agile but he's not much of a run blocker.  This wasn't exposed this season because UVA abandoned the run all season.  If you watched Ferguson play against FSU you would've seen him getting tossed around by FSU D-Lineman.  I think the kid's way over-rated personally.  I'd build that O-line with proven veterans.

1214190[/snapback]

Strength is the easiest thing for a 6-5 OT to improve. Some guys have everything but the footwork and agility and they end up sucking in the NFL. Ferguson is only 295 lbs. right now, probably will be 310 by the draft, and 325 by the start of the season.

The best thing about D'Brick is that he's a great kid who wants to be the best player he can, so you don't have to worry about his strength training. Trust me.

Strength is the easiest thing for a 6-5 OT to improve. Some guys have everything but the footwork and agility and they end up sucking in the NFL. Ferguson is only 295 lbs. right now, probably will be 310 by the draft, and 325 by the start of the season.

The best thing about D'Brick is that he's a great kid who wants to be the best player he can, so you don't have to worry about his strength training. Trust me.

1214202[/snapback]

He's had 4 years to improve his strength. I've been watching the guy for 4 years and I'm not seeing the hype.

So if you are Houston and you have the 1st over draft pick do you take Reggie Bush?

My thoughts are that you don't really have a need at RB.  DDavis is a bona fide stud although he has been out with injuries each of the last 2 years.  Seems like Jonathan Wells has filled in fine when he was out.

According to everything we hear Reggie Bush is clearly the best player on the draft board.  So do you draft the best player on the board and put him behind a horrible offensive line that is getting Carr and DDavis killed?

If you decided NOT to draft Reggie Bush ... surely you don't consider Leinert?  Seems to me like Carr is a good QB when he gets a chance to throw, he's young, and he's past the learning curve.  I have heard several analysts say that the talent around Leinert now is likely better than he will have when he gets into the NFL.  He will have 5 years in college, which is a plus, but he will still have a learning curve and would still be behind one of the worst O-Lines in the league.

When I look at it I don't see how Houston can do anything but trade down and get extra picks so they can draft offensive linemen.

Just doesn't seem like adding Reggie Bush does anything for the Texans.

1212968[/snapback]

Without going through the 3 pages of posts that have followed this, I completely agree with you. That's exactly what I've been telling my fellow FF leaguers, but they look at me like I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Swiss Cheezhead,

Do you really think HOU(1-12) is going to win 2 of their last 3 games? Even then they'd be in a tie with the Jets (assuming the Jets lose out) and I'll have to take your word if you believe they have the tiebreaker in that scenario. That gets complicated.

I think they win one against SF with both the Jets and SF losing their 3 remaining games. That would leave it like so:

#1 SF (2-14)

#2 HOU (2-14)

#3 NYJ (3-13)

Edited by A Little Bit Special

Desmond Howard?  You are kidding right?  Other than a good performance in 1 SB what the hell has he done?

Testaverde?  He had longevity but nothing else.

Herschel Walker has a couple good years ...

1213040[/snapback]

Jason White :D

I've got a friend of mine that is the other starting Tackle on UVA's team and while this guy tells me that Ferguson is a stud he also tells me that he's not very strong.  Ferguson has quick feet and is very agile but he's not much of a run blocker.  This wasn't exposed this season because UVA abandoned the run all season.  If you watched Ferguson play against FSU you would've seen him getting tossed around by FSU D-Lineman.  I think the kid's way over-rated personally.  I'd build that O-line with proven veterans.

1214190[/snapback]

I agree JJ. That was Kameron "Cement" Wimberly that was tossing him around. He also made Eric winston his lady dog when they played scUM. He was off to having a great year till NC State chop blocked him and sprained his mcl. :D He should be back for the Orange bowl though.

Here are the past Heisman winners since 1980 and how I feel they did as pros.

1981 Marcus Allen USC RB Sr. 1,797 :D

1982 Herschel Walker Georgia RB Jr. 1,926 :D

1983 Mike Rozier Nebraska RB Sr. 1,801 :D

1984 Doug Flutie Boston College QB Sr. 2,240 :huh:

1985 Bo Jackson Auburn RB Sr. 1,509 :D

1986 Vinny Testaverde Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 2,213 ::D

1987 Tim Brown Notre Dame WR Sr. 1,442 :D

1988 Barry Sanders Oklahoma State RB Jr. 1,878 :D

1989 Andre Ware Houston QB Jr. 1,073 :D

1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young QB Jr. 1,482 :D

Continued:

1991 Desmond Howard Michigan WR Jr. 2,077 :D

1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 1,400 :D

1993 Charlie Ward Florida State QB Sr. 2,310 :D

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB Jr. 1,743 :D

1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB Sr. 1,460 :D

1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB Sr. 1,363 :D

1997 Charles Woodson Michigan CB Jr. 1,815 :huh:

1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB Sr. 2,355 ;)

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB Sr. 2,042 ::D

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State QB Sr. 1,628 :D

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB Sr. 770 :D

2002 Carson Palmer USC QB Sr. 1,328 :D

2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB Jr. 1,481 :D

Continued:

1991 Desmond Howard Michigan WR Jr. 2,077 :D

1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 1,400  :D

1993 Charlie Ward Florida State QB Sr. 2,310  :D

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB Jr. 1,743  :D

1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB Sr. 1,460 :huh:

1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB Sr. 1,363  :D

1997 Charles Woodson Michigan CB Jr. 1,815 ;)

1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB Sr. 2,355 :D

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB Sr. 2,042 ::lol:

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State QB Sr. 1,628  :D

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB Sr. 770  :D

2002 Carson Palmer USC QB Sr. 1,328 :D

2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB Jr. 1,481  :D

1214398[/snapback]

I fail to see the hughmor :D