[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL admits the officiating mistake

Menudo

Found it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/n...tory?id=2294309

NFL: Polamalu overturned interception the wrong callAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL said the referee made a mistake: Troy Polamalu caught the ball.

The league acknowledged Monday that referee Pete Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu's interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

Mike Pereira, the league's vice president of officiating, said in a statement that Morelli should have upheld the call, made with 5:26 left in Pittsburgh's win over the Colts.

After the reversal, the Colts went on to score a touchdown and a 2-point conversion, cutting the Steelers' 21-10 lead to 21-18. That led to a wild final few minutes and Pittsburgh clinched its win only when the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field-goal attempt.

On the play, Polamalu made a diving catch of Manning's pass, tumbled with it in his hands and got up to run. When he did, he fumbled the ball, then recovered. Colts coach Tony Dungy challenged and Morelli ruled Polamalu had not completed the catch.

About a dozen TV and scoreboard replays indicated otherwise. Had the call stood, the Steelers would have had the ball at their own 48 with an 11-point lead.

"The definition of a catch -- or in this case an interception -- states that in the process of making a catch a player must maintain possession of the ball after he contacts the ground," Pereira said.

"The initial call on the field was that Troy Polamalu intercepted the pass because he maintained possession of the ball after hitting the ground. The replay showed that Polamalu had rolled over and was rising to his feet when the ball came loose. He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch. Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble.

"The rule regarding the performing of an act common to the game applies when there is contact with a defensive player and the ball comes loose, which did not happen here."

The NFL almost never makes public the result of its reviews, although it did three years ago, when Pereira said officials should have called pass interference against San Francisco on the final play of a wild-card game with the New York Giants. The correct call would have given New York a second chance to kick a game-winning field goal in a 39-38 loss.

After the game, Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter said of the ruling:

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game; the whole world loves Peyton Manning. But come on, man, don't take the game away from us like that."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello had no comment on Porter's statement.

In the past, players who have made such statements have been subject to fines.

doesn't it seem like there have been more "oops, we effed up" announcements by the head of referees on the nfl network this year than any other? where do they get these clowns? :D

They should fire the crews of both games yesterday. Atrocious for this time of year.

1269899[/snapback]

This whole year has been a joke. Not one horsecaller call, tons of calls on the Saints that nobody's ever even heard before. Blantant misses. When CHI ran out the play clock and then threw an INT and the officials never saw it, what a sad joke. And I'm a CAR fan. That was simply disgusting.

this whole crew should be fired, and the NFL needs FULL TIME officials, who's whole job is to sit and watch film after film after film. The officiating crew should be allotted 30 more cameras around the field to help with replay and such. It's just stain on a great sport. Especially this year.

doesn't it seem like there have been more "oops, we effed up" announcements by the head of referees on the nfl network this year than any other? where do they get these clowns? :D

1269902[/snapback]

Years ago they used to assign good teams to playoff games, but now pick individuals instead, kind of an all star team of officials.

I would go back to good teams of officials.

Years ago they used to assign good teams to playoff games, but now pick individuals instead, kind of an all star team of officials.

1269942[/snapback]

EXACTLY! I understand the reasoning behind the "all-pro" team, but perhaps they don't work well together. Perhaps they'r used to someone on their team that picks up the slack, say on...WATCHING THE PLAY CLOCK!!!!

1269942[/snapback]

actually it's the opposite. Years ago they would assign points based on the regular season games and the highest scores at each position would get the playoff games. Now they use teams because they are more familiar with each other. Not that anyone could tell after this weekend.

actually it's the opposite. Years ago they would assign points based on the regular season games and the highest scores at each position would get the playoff games. Now they use teams because they are more familiar with each other. Not that anyone could tell after this weekend.

1270051[/snapback]

:D i think that's wrong. I couldn't find a site on how they pick them, but I've heard, rather recently on Sirius NFL Radio, the coaches and players award points to officials and at the end of the season, the officials with the best scores do the playoffs, and ultimately the super bowl.