[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL admits the officiating mistake

Menudo

You obviously haven't spoken with Ursa on the subject today  :D

1269894[/snapback]

:D:D:D

Yeah, I've been a bit vocal on the whole deal. I'd like it to be known that I think an interception should be the (moral) result, clearly, but I've been looking for WHY the ref decided what he did. Even though the NFL has now declared an error as far as the catch goes, what about this:

Rule 85.1.1 Interceptions:

If a player intercepts a ball, demonstrates control, the ball does not touch the ground, and the player makes an attempt to get up off the ground, both knees must be off the ground before the ball can be legally fumbled.

According to this, when Polamalu fumbled, he could have just ignored the ball, technically, because it was not in play. Obviously he's not going to do that, but the ball isn't live when he dropped it with one knee still down

Is it? :D

:D i think that's wrong. I couldn't find a site on how they pick them, but I've heard, rather recently on Sirius NFL Radio, the coaches and players award points to officials and at the end of the season, the officials with the best scores do the playoffs, and ultimately the super bowl.

1270104[/snapback]

the point system may still be used. however the crews are kept together rather than the individual officials receiving the highest scores at each position going.

:D  :D  :D

Yeah, I've been a bit vocal on the whole deal.  I'd like it to be known that I think an interception should be the (moral) result, clearly, but I've been looking for WHY the ref decided what he did.  Even though the NFL has now declared an error as far as the catch goes, what about this:

According to this, when Polamalu fumbled, he could have just ignored the ball, technically, because it was not in play.  Obviously he's not going to do that, but the ball isn't live when he dropped it with one knee still down

Is it?  :D

1270136[/snapback]

I'm betting that if you compare that with the rules for establishing possession, what you have is conflicting language in 2 rules.

That is where the ambiguity creeps in, and in this case the rules for possession should have clearly trumped this interception clause. That's all I'm sayin'.

The only reason that the Ref overturned the call was because he wanted Indy to win. There is no other explanation that he could offer to convince the majority of the public otherwise.

If the NFL had any balls, then Morelli (I think that's his name) should be unemployed, effective immediately.

:D  :D  :D

Yeah, I've been a bit vocal on the whole deal.  I'd like it to be known that I think an interception should be the (moral) result, clearly, but I've been looking for WHY the ref decided what he did.  Even though the NFL has now declared an error as far as the catch goes, what about this:

According to this, when Polamalu fumbled, he could have just ignored the ball, technically, because it was not in play.  Obviously he's not going to do that, but the ball isn't live when he dropped it with one knee still down

1270136[/snapback]

Don't you feel silly now? :D

wha wha what!!!???!!!???

I totally expected him to find some way of protecting his guys ass on this one. I guess it was SOOOO obvious that even he couldn't stand up for him. Kudos to him.

1269881[/snapback]

From what I've noticed, is that if the team the officiating call hurts, ends up winning the game, head of officials will come back and explain what went wrong, and why it should have been called differently. This is a good example, and the two TDs given to New York in the NYG/Seatle Game they came back and explained were wrong as well..

However, If Indy had won, or the Giants had won earlier this season, I don't think we'd be hearing much from the officials.

what about this:
Rule 85.1.1 Interceptions:

If a player intercepts a ball, demonstrates control, the ball does not touch the ground, and the player makes an attempt to get up off the ground, both knees must be off the ground before the ball can be legally fumbled.

According to this, when Polamalu fumbled, he could have just ignored the ball, technically, because it was not in play. Obviously he's not going to do that, but the ball isn't live when he dropped it with one knee still down

Is it? :D

1270136[/snapback]

I don't think that is a real rule. I think someone made that up in that other thread.

Don't you feel silly now? :D

1270213[/snapback]

Not at all. Like I said, I was just looking for the reason why the ref gave the decision he did. I said before I was playing devil's advocate. The main point is that the rules contain too much crap and need sorting out.

1270136[/snapback]

Ursa... that rule was a joke. I was making it up because it was so implausible. I thought it was obviously a joke.

From what I've noticed, is that if the team the officiating call hurts, ends up winning the game, head of officials will come back and explain what went wrong, and why it should have been called differently. This is a good example, and the two TDs given to New York in the NYG/Seatle Game they came back and explained were wrong as well..

However, If Indy had won, or the Giants had won earlier this season, I don't think we'd be hearing much from the officials.

1270264[/snapback]

:D

Not at all.  Like I said, I was just looking for the reason why the ref gave the decision he did.  I said before I was playing devil's advocate.  The main point is that the rules contain too much crap and need sorting out.

1270379[/snapback]

I was seeing it your way as well in trying to figure out what the hell the ref thought he was interpreting. But at least the NFL admitted to the mistake.

i dont think they would have made that announcement if indy had won the game.

1269882[/snapback]

Actually I think they would have which would have made the matter worse...they appologized to Seattle for missing a couple calls in a game with NYG. Seattle won but they admitted they were wrong. Those calls were so close, nothing compared to that call against Pittsburg.

That official should be held accountable, and fired, IMO.

1269885[/snapback]

I agree, someone needs to be held accountable...

1270264[/snapback]

Good info here... :D

Also notice the lack of an explaination of the bogus Asante Samuel interference call that turned that game for Denver... :D

Also notice the lack of an explaination of the bogus Asante Samuel interference call that turned that game for Denver...  :D

1272548[/snapback]

Meh. I've seen worse PI calls.

Technically... it's against the rules for a DB to cut off the route of the receiver. From my point of view... Samuel started leaning into Lelie and running him toward the sideline away from the ball.

Could have been a no call, because the DB had good position... but at least you can see the way the ref saw it, if you put on sufficiently orange glasses. :D

Nobody could have justified the Polamalu play. Not even Indy fans.

The NFL competition commitee should have a competion before membership is permitted. Like, for instance, put a screwdriver on the table in front of them. If they pick it up by the handle, they're in.

These possession rules suck. The way I read the rules, there is this undefined "football move". What the H is that? I long for the good old days.... two feet or a knee or elbow down, with possession is a catch. The football has to go over the pylon. The NFL brings this crap down on it's own head, and makes the ref's job impossible. That Washington game? That was a TD. How can you get two feet down, a knee, and call it incomplete? Horse manure. I'd like to get some third graders together to rewrite the rule book. It would HAVE to be an improvement. Now, they hang this poor ref out to dry because their rules stink. What a surprise! :doah:

I have to add this... all this nonsense about the poor Steelers and the bad calls.... the refs completely blew that illegal procdure non-call on 4th and 1, and called a "do over"? That Polamu play never happens if they don't blow that call. Pitt would have had to punt, and that would have changed the whole game.

Edited by Rovers

The NFL competition commitee should have a competion before membership is permitted. Like, for instance, put a screwdriver on the table in front of them. If they pick it up by the handle, they're in.

These possession rules suck. The way I read the rules, there is this undefined "football move". What the H is that? I long for the good old days.... two feet or a knee or elbow down, with possession is a catch. The football has to go over the pylon. The NFL brings this crap down on it's own head, and makes the ref's job impossible. That Washington game? That was a TD. How can you get two feet down, a knee, and call it incomplete? Horse manure. I'd like to get some third graders together to rewrite the rule book. It would HAVE to be an improvement. Now, they hang this poor ref out to dry because their rules stink. What a surprise!  :doah:

1272666[/snapback]

Way to nail it on the head. The possession rules sucks and needs to be changed. They are hanging their refs out to dry. This is what my friends and I have been bitchin' about all year, they need to change the possession rule.