[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Building a model trebuchet

DMD

As I alluded to in another thread, I bought a trebuchet kit for my son for Christmas. This is the model kit that I purchased and built.

It is about three feet tall or so and cost about $90. The cool thing, besides throwing stuff, is that some middle schools allow kids to use these for science projects since they demonstrate various physic principles (kinetic energy, centrifugal force, etc.) and it is also something cool for a history project since the trebuchet (cantilevered catapult) was the primary seige weapon for about 300 years before the whole gunpowder thing.

If anyone should ever want to build one like this, I have PLENTY of tips and advice learned from the process of building mine because as always the instructions were confusing and left much to be desired. Since the wood is very hard, it also tended to break off screws before completely seated.

We just got back from taking the guys from the neighborhood up to a football field and trying it out. I could hurl a golf ball maybe 200 or so feet in the air with an additional 100 feet or more of roll. It used ten pounds of counterweight.

If you have a kid that may think building a catapuly would be cool, this was pretty fun and the boys all loved it. But it was a lot more work than you may think though mainly because I had to learn as I went. I could probably build it in half the time now easily. Because of drying time for glue, it takes a couple of days and maybe three or four hours to build. Maybe less if you are really good with tools and take my advice on how to build it.

Pretty fun and hey - beats the hell out of the kids sitting in front of an X-box on a nice afternoon. :D

The plans for building one of these is just $14.95 but you would invest notable time getting the right wood and cutting it all. There are about 40 pieces or so to cut to size.

We made it a great afternoon - besides firing the trebuchet, we started the day out with the mentos/soda trick I saw here on the tailgate. One word of advice on that - take the bottle from out under the eaves of the house. It REALLY works well.

This model can only use up to 15 pounds of counterweight they said. But it is all a matter of scale. I'm thinking if I tripled the proportions of everything, I could throw some far heavier things much farther. If I ever find some decent land in the country to buy, I would seriously consider building a big one.

I take it you didn't.  :D

1269963[/snapback]

errr... evidently not quite far enough away from it. I was concerned that the explosion would not be as good because the bottle was not hot (it was room temperature, not refrigerated) but it worked exactly like it did in that video. Maybe just two inches of soda left on the bottom when it is done.

That thing looks very cool. I also plan on the mentos experiment (as soon as it warms up a little bit here).

This got me to thinking about the telescope I told you guys that Santa brought for my daughter. Here's a pic to give some perspective of how big the thing is. I'm such an idiot. :D

Telescope

Edited by Puddy

That thing looks very cool.  I also plan on the mentos experiment (as soon as it warms up a little bit here).

This got me to thinking about the telescope I told you guys that Santa brought for my daughter.  Here's a pic to give some perspective of how big the thing is.  I'm such an idiot. :D

Telescope

1270285[/snapback]

Man - does she use that thing to look in the windows of the international space station?

I can only imagine what will happen when your kid wants a go kart.

Man - does she use that thing to look in the windows of the international space station?

I can only what will happen when your kid wants a go kart.

1270301[/snapback]

I don't know how to use it yet. We finally had a clear night a few days ago so I took it out and tried to see stuff. Nothing but blackness. And yes I had the lense cap off.

I guess I'm going to have to join an astronomy forum to become even geekier than I am.

Oh and the link won't work.

Edit: It works now. :D

Edited by Puddy

That thing looks very cool.  I also plan on the mentos experiment (as soon as it warms up a little bit here).

This got me to thinking about the telescope I told you guys that Santa brought for my daughter.  Here's a pic to give some perspective of how big the thing is.  I'm such an idiot. :D

Telescope

1270285[/snapback]

:D Puddy..Your the best..

Telescope

1270285[/snapback]

Jeeminy Christmas! That thing is huge! Post some pix if you ever get that scope up & running. Great gift!

I told this story once before, but she still believes in Santa.

She ran into the room on Christmas morning and said very hurriedly..."Mom, Santa brought Ethan his bike...and I got something that's really big....I don't even know what it is....I, I think it's a cannonball shooter."

F'n cracked me up all day.

Edited by Puddy

I told this story once before, but she still believes in Santa.

She ran into the room on Christmas morning and said very hurriedly..."Mom, Santa brought Ethan his bike...and I got something that's really big....I don't even know what it it....I, I think it's a cannonball shooter."

F'n cracked me up all day.

1270333[/snapback]

:D Hlarious. :D

Telescope

1270285[/snapback]

Jeez. I bet AAA had to send TWO guys out to set that thing up.