[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What does INDY have to do to get over the hump?

LooGie

Hey Hook, I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio when a caller called in and asked what does Indy have to do to get over the hump? Adam Schein and John Riggins had no answers. They said if they can't do it when they go 14-2, have home field advantage, play the #6 seed, develop a GREAT defense, their nemesis NE is eliminated before coming to town, and keep everybody healthy, then they can't think of a scenario that they can do it in...

I say bull.

I can think of one right now.

First thing, they dont have home field wrapped up by Week 13, therefore, playing a "meaningless" game to a GREAT team to make it in the history books, only to get their snot and confidence beaten out of them. Not to mention broadcasting to the world the formula to beat them, which PIT executed to a T. Then sitting for almost a month getting rusty.

Then, they don't give up 2 TDs almost immediately in the playoff game, thereby taking their gameplan and flushing it down the crapper. Or at least stick to their gameplan like they did when they were down 17-0 vs STL. RUN RUN RUN.

Anything else? no...oh wait...THEIR HEAD COACH DOESN'T LOSE HIS 18 YEAR OLD BABYBOY DUE TO SUICIDE 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS...yah, that might help...

People are overlooking what happened to this team. This is a superbowl caliber team, and if they can keep Edge another year (probably franchise his ass whether he likes it or not, then big fat contract after the CBA gets done) they'll make that elusive superbowl. I think you should lose the "Fan of the chokes" from your sig. I dont think they choked. I'm not an Indy fan, but you are. You can't writeoff what happened.

Look at it like this, if they'd a won the superbowl, the talk of the town would be how Dungy is so incredible because he was able to not only focus himself, but get his team focused on the playoffs, even though his 18 year old son was barely in the ground. When somebody doesn't do something EXTRAORDINARY people want to criticize him for it? When they'd be amazed if he managed to do it? It's just not fair. You hold your head high, because I feel Dungy should do the same.

Now next year...that's a different story!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they need a big reciever that Peyton can throw the jump ball to when he's in trouble. It seemed like the Steeler's pressure was disrupting all the timing plays, and Manning kept trying to loft it to a spot. If he had a Jurevicous type guy who could go up and get it in traffic, they'd be better off.

1. Run the ball more in the playoffs just like they did early and mid year

2. Take some responsibilites away from Peyton. IMO he has too much to do. How about he doesn't get to call the plays and thus go away from the run like he always seems to do in big games and the playoffs

3. Get a real FB on the team and play some tougher playoff style football

4. Stop with the pretty crap and always trying to hit a HR. Like 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 how about you are NOT in shotgun and actually run there instead of passing downfield from the gun like usual with the Colts

Bottom line to me is start playing playoff style tough football instead of always trying to win pretty and with finesse.

Edited by giantsfan

I'm no Colt fan, but it drives me crazy reading/hearing all the recent talk of dismantling. The cure for the hump? Keep on keeping on. They're a great team, and I think it would be a shame to react otherwise and start messing with this formula. Sometimes great players just don't win in their career (Marino), sometimes it takes 12 or so years (Elway) and maybe it will just take this group 1 more shot and thus make that 1 SB win the sweetest thing since chocolate covered sugar bombs.

1. Run the ball more in the playoffs just like they did early and mid year

2. Take some responsibilites away from Peyton. IMO he has too much to do. How about he doesn't get to call the plays and thus go away from the run like he always seems to do in big games and the playoffs

3. Get a real FB on the team and play some tougher playoff style football

4. Stop with the pretty crap and always trying to hit a HR. Like 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 how about you are NOT in shotgun and actually run there instead of passing downfield from the gun like usual with the Colts

Bottom line to me is start playing playoff style tough football instead of always trying to win pretty and with finesse.

1272968[/snapback]

Good stuff here :D Especially #1.

heard on ESPN last night that Denver was (I think ) an 18 pt fave against Jax in the playoffs a few years ago..and lost.Everyone knows what happened after that.Elway got his.My point is that the Colts will be OK.A few short weeks ago ALOT of people on these boards were stating that the Colts would go undefeated and may be the best team ever.Manning is younger than Elway was and has plenty of chances to win his.He may win a couple who knows?This was a great team this year and will be next year.Anything anyone says they should do differently is all speculation.It boils down to one tackle by a QB.If Roth misses the tackle,everyone is still saying how great Indy is.Any of you Colts fans wanna get rid of Manning,I'd love to see him in Big D.

I don't think they have to change much if anything. I think they are good enough to win a Superbowl right now. They just had a bad game and lost, that's all. You know - an "any given Sunday" thing. shucks happens. They'll probably be favored to win it all next year.

heard on ESPN last night that Denver was (I think ) an 18 pt fave against Jax in the playoffs a few years ago..and lost.Everyone knows what happened after that.Elway got his.My point is that the Colts will be OK.A few short weeks ago ALOT of people on  these boards were stating that the Colts would go undefeated and may be the best team ever.Manning is younger than Elway was and has plenty of chances to win his.He may win a couple who knows?This was a great team this year and will be next year.Anything anyone says they should do differently is all speculation.It boils down to one tackle by a QB.If Roth misses the tackle,everyone is still saying how great Indy is.Any of you Colts fans wanna get rid of Manning,I'd love to see him in Big D.

1273069[/snapback]

Absolutely agree.

Well, except for that Mannign to Dallas part... :D

heard on ESPN last night that Denver was (I think ) an 18 pt fave against Jax in the playoffs a few years ago..and lost.Everyone knows what happened after that.Elway got his.My point is that the Colts will be OK.A few short weeks ago ALOT of people on  these boards were stating that the Colts would go undefeated and may be the best team ever.Manning is younger than Elway was and has plenty of chances to win his.He may win a couple who knows?This was a great team this year and will be next year.Anything anyone says they should do differently is all speculation.It boils down to one tackle by a QB.If Roth misses the tackle,everyone is still saying how great Indy is.Any of you Colts fans wanna get rid of Manning,I'd love to see him in Big D.

1273069[/snapback]

First off Indy was outplayed. So I think while technically right it is a little unfair to say one tackle by Roth and ...They deserved to lose that game and were outplayed.

Second of all Elway did not win until he had Davis and said hey you know what I will ride this guy and the running game to victory. In big games Peyton seems incapable of riding his running game, in fact it is the complete opposite he almost never runs.

Third of all I am SO tired of the Elway Manning thing. Elway had won big game after big game in his career before he won his SB's. Including making 3 or 4 SB's and we all remember the drive in Clev. Manning has NEVER won a big game whether in college or in the pros. So to me comparing them is just off.

Now of course Manning can make and win SB's, the guy is a great QB, but I really think he and Indy need to change their style if they want to do that. Playing like they do with finesse, no running, and always going for the big play will not get it done. They need to get tougher and IMO stop having Manning call all the plays. It is now proven he will call his own # too often and that won't work. He doesn't seek balance in big games and that's a HUGH issue.

Edited by giantsfan

Pay the Refs more and get a new kicker ( that was just a joke ) ...I am actually a fan of the colts ( love watching them ) ...

I think they have to keep the nucleus intact and keep plugging away ...sometimes it takes great teams just that much longer to get to the championship

John Elway should give every great QB hope in that even through bad stretches and through being labeled as the one who could not win the big one , he got it done

I also want to add that for the record I do believe the Colts are right there and they should certainly keep their core together. I think they just need to get a little tougher, add a real FB please, and stop having Manning call every play, please run a little in big games, and they could certainly get there and even win it.

I also want to add that for the record I do believe the Colts are right there and they should certainly keep their core together. I think they just need to get a little tougher, add a real FB please, and stop having Manning call every play, please run a little in big games, and they could certainly get there and even win it.

1273096[/snapback]

I can agree with this.Just tired of all the Colts bashing lately because they had a bad game.They're a great team,one of the best in the league and like EVERY other team out there,need to address a few things to get better.And why the hell am I defending the Colts anyway :D

I can agree with this.Just tired of all the Colts bashing lately because they had a bad game.They're a great team,one of the best in the league and like EVERY other team out there,need to address a few things to get better.And why the hell am I defending the Colts anyway  :D

1273106[/snapback]

Oh I agree. Anyone who comes on here and acts like the Colts need these major overhauls is crazy IMO. They are not that far off. They just need a little adjustment here or there in the toughness department and in the way they play big games, ie no running and too much HR passing.

First off Indy was outplayed. So I think while technically right it is a little unfair to say one tackle by Roth and ...They deserved to lose that game and were outplayed.

1273089[/snapback]

Well, "fair" had nothign to do with that statement. Fact is, if Rothleshamburger doesn't tackle wife-beater, that game is won by the Colts. And not to take anything away from the Steelers cuz they BEAT the Colts, but the Colts weren't blown out. They were down 14-0 and pulled in to 21-18 from drives of 96, 80 and 72 yards. Thats a lot of good, non-garbage time Offense.

Well, "fair" had nothign to do with that statement. Fact is, if Rothleshamburger doesn't tackle wife-beater, that game is won by the Colts. And not to take anything away from the Steelers cuz they BEAT the Colts, but the Colts weren't blown out. They were down 14-0 and pulled in to 21-18 from drives of 96, 80 and 72 yards. Thats a lot of good, non-garbage time Offense.

1273122[/snapback]

They also got a call from the refs that was a complete JOKE and the NFL said that afterwards and a fumble on the 2 from Bettis who NEVER fumbles and they still lost. Come on lets not go here. The Colts were outplayed and deserved to lose.

They need to play playoff football. Teams that win in the playoffs run the ball. They get down by two scores and stop running, which just allows Pittsburgh to keep teeing off on Manning. Manning has shown repeatedly that he can't win it by himself. He's made bad throws and bad calls in crucial situations. Getting picked in the endzone vs. NE last year. Throwing a 15 yard pass on 3rd and 2 late in the game vs. Pitt. They have to be committed to James getting the ball 25 times a game. During most of the year that's what they did and they were on the verge of a perfect season.

Dungy needs to be the leader, not Manning. Manning wants to win obviously, but he can't have free reign.

On PTI yesterday, they had some Indy writer on. He made a good point and reminded everyone of the Broncos team that lost to the Jaguras in 1996. That team was favored to win that game HUGE and after they lost, people were saying that the team needed to be dismantled. What happened? Two years later they win the first of two Super Bowls. If the Colts can keep their core together, they will be fine.

That said though, I think Edge is gone.

I agree....Do nothing and keep pluggin' away.

Never give up.

In one month colts went from an unbeatable team that was going to

walk away with the Lombardi trophy to a team who lost momentum

for many reasons:

The most important reason=Football is a game to be played.

Life, faith, and hope for the future are certainly MORE IMPORTANT.

Colts are a grade-A organization from top to bottom.

Polian=winner-some experts dubbed him Exec. of the year.

Dungy=winner-class act and a true role model-great leader.

Manning=winner and the BEST in the game

that needs to be protected much better.

San Diego showed everybody how to beat the colts.

Pitt. watched and learned. Good job.

To all the Manning haters out there-I am glad he is on my home team

and not yours. I would much rather have a QB that gives

his team a chance to win EVERY single game he is under center than

any other QB. Give me the #1 pick right now and I take Peyton.

If you want to compare him to Marino-fine. Marino had

a hall of fame career and won MANY more games than he lost.

Marino will be remembered as one of the best ever-so will Manning.

Oh yeah, This just in-His career is not over-he has many years of

guiding his NFL team left. It will be fun to watch and

I will enjoy them all.

GO COLTS!!!

I agree....Do nothing and keep pluggin' away.

Never give up.

In one month colts went from an unbeatable team that was going to

walk away with the Lombardi trophy to a team who lost momentum

for many reasons:

The most important reason=Football is a game to be played.

Life, faith, and hope for the future are certainly MORE IMPORTANT.

Colts are a grade-A organization from top to bottom.

Polian=winner-some experts dubbed him Exec. of the year.

Dungy=winner-class act and a true role model-great leader.

Manning=winner and the BEST in the game

that needs to be protected much better.

San Diego showed everybody how to beat the colts.

Pitt. watched and learned. Good job.

I will enjoy them all.

GO COLTS!!!

1273202[/snapback]

Dude how can you say Manning equals winner? What has he ever won? Go ahead list it. And no the Colts do NOT need to dismantle they need to play smarter and more playoff style football and they'll be fine. And that means get Edge the ball 25 times a game like when they were 13-0, and like someone said above Dungy should be the leader not Manning. He should not be given free reign to call whatever play he wants. The coaches should call the plays and maybe they'll get some balance that way. The Colts are right there they just need to play in the playoffs like they did the first 13 games of the season when Edge had no less then 21 carries in EVERY game.

I will enjoy them all.

GO COLTS!!!

1273202[/snapback]

I'll take a QB who knows what it takes to win. Its a team game. Get your RB the ball. Don't leave your defense in bad situations, its a game of field position. Get your kicker into decent FG range. Managing a game in the playoffs is what its all about. Have faith in your supporting cast. Manning seems to try to do it all. Give me Brady any day to this point in their careers. And seriously, Brady as the Colts QB would probably mean Pittsburgh would be sitting at home. And I'm no New England fan.

First, it was Manning can't get his team to the playoffs-He has done that.

Then it was Manning can't win a playoff game-He has done that.

Then it was Manning can't beat New England-He has done that.

Now, it is He can't win the big game-They are all big and

He wins many more than he loses. Glad to have him.

I think he has proven he can WIN games.

To say he will never win the BIG one is

just plain STOOOPID.

I suppose you know who is going to win the next TEN super bowls?

Please share your wisdom. I would really like to know who

will be the champions in about 5 years so I can win lots of $$$.

Don't bet on the COLTS because Manning is the QB. :D

They also got a call from the refs that was a complete JOKE and the NFL said that afterwards and a fumble on the 2 from Bettis who NEVER fumbles and they still lost. Come on lets not go here. The Colts were outplayed and deserved to lose.

1273130[/snapback]

The fact is, simple enough, if Ben doesn't tackle him the Colts win. No should of's, would of's or could of's. That game, right or wrong, was saved on a single tackle after a fumble.

First, it was Manning can't get his team to the playoffs-He has done that.

Then it was Manning can't win a playoff game-He has done that.

Then it was Manning can't beat New England-He has done that.

Now, it is He can't win the big game-They are all big and

He wins many more than he loses. Glad to have him.

I think he has proven he can WIN games.

To say he will never win the BIG one is

just plain STOOOPID.

I suppose you know who is going to win the next TEN super bowls?

Please share your wisdom. I would really like to know who

will be the champions in about 5 years so I can win lots of $$$.

Don't bet on the COLTS because Manning is the QB. :D

1273293[/snapback]

He hasn't beaten NE where it counts most, the playoffs

He never beat Fla in college

Tenn won the NC with Tee Martin the year after he left

And he is 3-6 or 3-7 in the playoffs

Look the guy is a GREAT QB no doubt at all, but if you want to sit here and act as if he wins big games and isn't a little questionable in those big spots you are fooling yourself. And also with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 teams everyone would want him as their QB.