[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What does INDY have to do to get over the hump?

LooGie

Don't bet on the COLTS because Manning is the QB. :D

1273293[/snapback]

He can win. He needs to make some adjustments to his play calling in the playoffs though. But I'm glad you can still smile after what we all witnessed on Sunday.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On PTI yesterday, they had some Indy writer on. He made a good point and reminded everyone of the Broncos team that lost to the Jaguras in 1996. That team was favored to win that game HUGE and after they lost, people were saying that the team needed to be dismantled. What happened? Two years later they win the first of two Super Bowls. If the Colts can keep their core together, they will be fine.

1273199[/snapback]

I absolutely agree. But that same Bronco team's failuer in 96 should have taught them a lesson this year. I don't give a crap about resting players, that Offense took a few weeks to gel this year and then they decided to "rest" them. By the time it got goign again at the end of the 1st half, it was too late.

Boy some of you Indy supporters are way off IMO. How many times do we need to see them lose in the same way, being soft and totally going away from the running game, before we say hey they have the talent but they need to make some changes in how they play the games.

And this Elway stuff is a joke. First off he was in SB's and won many big games before he won the SB. And second of all he didn't actually win the SB until he decided to take a back seat to Davis and the running game. That is what Manning has to do as well.

But most of all if you act as if Manning, although a GREAT QB, doesn't have big game issues, and are totally kidding yourselves with that one.

Edited by giantsfan

If the Colts can keep their core together, they will be fine.

1273199[/snapback]

If by "Fine", you mean they will eventually win a SB, then I don't agree. Some teams/players/mannings are just not capable of winning it all.

Edited by Dragon

What do we know?

We know Manning is a great QB.

We know Edge is a great RB.

We know that Indy has great WR's.

We know that Indy's Defense was vastly improved over last year.

We know that Vanderjagt is one of the most accurate kickers in NFL History.

We also know that no matter how good a teams Skill Players are that if the O-line can not protect the Qb the team is going to be in trouble.

In the last 5 games that Indy has played they have given up 16 sacks. That is more than 3 per game. That is too many. You must give the QB time to throw the ball.

As far as not letting Manning call the plays I will admit that sometimes I disagree with his play calling but that is the case regardless of who is calling the plays but let's not forget, he was the one calling the plays while the Colts were starting the season 13-0 so he must be fairly good at it.

As for waving off the punt team, I seem to remember them converting that 4th down so that worked out pretty good. And going for it on 4th down was the right thing to do in that situation.

The simple truth is the Colts lost to the Steelers for one reason, their O-line was completed manhandled by the Steelers D-line, plain and simple. Pittsburgh's Offense was good but not spectacular, but their defense was awesome.

As for what the Colts need to do, that is easy. Improve the protection of Manning and keep going.

Play your starters the full game for 16 weeks, so you are not rusty as hell to begin your playoffs would have put them in the AFC title game this yr.  Id say fix that next yr, whada ya think Dungy.

1273217[/snapback]

Agree completely. This was the root cause of being 14-0 behind in next to no time, IMO. I know they came back from 17-0 against STL, but the Steelers are a whole different proposition.

The risk of injury is a whole lot less than the certainty of rust. Anyway, they automatically had one week off for the bye.

As far as not letting Manning call the plays I will admit that sometimes I disagree with his play calling but that is the case regardless of who is calling the plays but let's not forget, he was the one calling the plays while the Colts were starting the season 13-0 so he must be fairly good at it.

1273487[/snapback]

See that's the thing he calls the game differently in big spots and in the playoffs IMO. He runs MUCH less and passes much more for whatever reason in big games.

As far as their protection I agree it was very poor Sunday, but the Colts are known to have a top OL, and what was the excuse when they lost every other year in the playoffs? No it is deeper then that. They need to tweak some things and stay committed to the run in big spots.

Edited by giantsfan

Hope that they don't have to face a physical team that will smash them in the mouth come playoff time.

Before it was the defense. This year its the o-line. Next year Edge will get hurt and it will be because of the lack of running game.

Manning is a victim of circumstance.

Guest THEbigred

1 - The stats don't show it per se but find another kicker. Even this miss aside IMO he isn't the PK he used to be and never could boom kickoffs like he should be able to.

2 - Manning needs to work on having at least a little mobility. He seems determined to turn into Marino in this way as well, although I don't know why.

3 - Defense was improved, sure, but still needs addressed. Practically everywhere. I'm sick of Doss' lack of coverage ability, our lack of a run stuffer, and Jason freakin David. Oh and for ONCE pls don't lose our best LB to FA.

4 - It's being over-emphasized in the loss, but yes the OL line is getting old/thin. They've made some good moves here and there, but it just isn't what it used to be. Not top priority but must be considered.

5 - Replace Dungy. Sure they could do worse and not saying just grab whoever, and PS I like Dungy. What he's been through is more than a shame to say the least. Classy guy too. Good coach.

But not a GREAT coach. Never has been, never will be. He completely sucks at making adjustments for one. Further, he's too quiet/laid back/soft-spoken. Not that you have to be all spit and fire to be a good coach, but he has none. Sorry but being a nice guy and being liked isn't nearly enough by itself to fire players to a win. They need someone to reel in Manning a little. Dungy is hardly it.

I said the day they hired him that he's the kind of guy who can make a bad team good but not a good team great and will never win a SB. I stand by it.

6 - Finally, consider 86ing Polian. He's made some great personnel moves, but he knows squat about building a D, has an ego twice as large as most seem to imagine Manning's is, loses one good player after another to FA, refuses to pick up any FAs of his own (probably because he sucks at it) and refuses to admit mistakes, eg keeping people around too long (mostly in the secondary). Not saying he's "bad" - but grossly overrated. Again, saying I'd consider it, not just whack him out of the blue.

Unfortunately there's no way the last 2 will happen in Manning's career.

1 - The stats don't show it per se but find another kicker. Even this miss aside IMO he isn't the PK he used to be and never could boom kickoffs like he should be able to.

2 - Manning needs to work on having at least a little mobility. He seems determined to turn into Marino in this way as well, although I don't know why.

3 - Defense was improved, sure, but still needs addressed. Practically everywhere. I'm sick of Doss' lack of coverage ability, our lack of a run stuffer, and Jason freakin David. Oh and for ONCE pls don't lose our best LB to FA.

4 - It's being over-emphasized in the loss, but yes the OL line is getting old/thin.  They've made some good moves here and there, but it just isn't what it used to be. Not top priority but must be considered.

5 - Replace Dungy.  Sure they could do worse and not saying just grab whoever, and PS I like Dungy. What he's been through is more than a shame to say the least. Classy guy too. Good coach.

But not a GREAT coach. Never has been, never will be.  He completely sucks at making adjustments for one.  Further, he's too quiet/laid back/soft-spoken. Not that you have to be all spit and fire to be a good coach, but he has none. Sorry but being a nice guy and being liked isn't nearly enough by itself to fire players to a win. They need someone to reel in Manning a little. Dungy is hardly it.

I said the day they hired him that he's the kind of guy who can make a bad team good but not a good team great and will never win a SB. I stand by it.

6 - Finally, consider 86ing Polian. He's made some great personnel moves, but he knows squat about building a D, has an ego twice as large as most seem to imagine Manning's is, loses one good player after another to FA, refuses to pick up any FAs of his own (probably because he sucks at it) and refuses to admit mistakes, eg keeping people around too long (mostly in the secondary). Not saying he's "bad" - but grossly overrated. Again, saying I'd consider it, not just whack him out of the blue.

Unfortunately there's no way the last 2 will happen in Manning's career.

1274224[/snapback]

7. Play outdoors. Indoor teams are inherently soft.

I think the moral of the story is if you have the #1 pick, you always trade it. In today’s environment, with the salary structure and the salary cap. Manning is a great QB, but I thing that he cost Indy too much. To me, New England is the model to follow.

I think the moral of the story is if you have the #1 pick, you always trade it. In today’s environment, with the salary structure and the salary cap.  Manning is a great QB, but I thing that he cost Indy too much.  To me, New England is the model to follow.

1274277[/snapback]

draft a qb in the 7th rd. and hope for the best?

Guest THEbigred
I think the moral of the story is if you have the #1 pick, you always trade it. In today’s environment, with the salary structure and the salary cap.  Manning is a great QB, but I thing that he cost Indy too much.  To me, New England is the model to follow.

1274277[/snapback]

pff

When the Rams won it all, theirs was the model to follow. High-powered O, good enough D.

When the Ravens won it all, theirs was the model to follow. Dominant D, good enough O.

blah blah etc......

Taking Manning #1 and giving up too much had nothing to do w/it.

1274277[/snapback]

oh yah. how hard can it be to find one of the best QB's in existance in the 6th round :D Why don't more teams do it? easy as pie right?

The Colts could stand to run more. So they were down by 14 points in the 1st quarter, with that offense, you shouldn't freak out and abandon the run. If you think about it, they outscored the Steelers 18-7 over the rest of the game. Also, Edge was averaging about 4 yards a carry, which if they used him more on some draws and such, would be enough to keep the Steelers honest on their blitzing.

But mostly, the Colts just choked. They got physically manhandled by a team that came to play while the Colts were "not all there"

How many years and games does it take to come to the realization that maybe it's the coach? How many times has Dungy lead his team to a great regular season only to be ousted in the playoffs?

It seems to me for years the Bucs made the playoffs under Dungy and they continually got ousted in the playoffs. THen the year after Dungy left Chucky wins the Superbowl for the Bucs! Dungy moves to the Colts and starts taking them to the playoffs every year and low and behold the Colts get ousted in the playoffs and are disappointing.

Could it be we have a proven example that in this instance it is the coach? Alot of what was stated prior to this post comes as a result of coaching decisions. It's getting close to the point where we should say..."you can't win it all with Dungy as the coach".

The fact is, simple enough,  if Ben doesn't tackle him the Colts win. No should of's, would of's or could of's. That game, right or wrong, was saved on a single tackle after a fumble.

1273321[/snapback]

Well, your point is well taken, but the Steelers would have had 3 timeouts and a minute to go to try to come back and score a TD, which, I don't think would have been out of the question.

They need to do a few things...

(1) They need a secondary that can cover. Going down 14-0 against a defense-oriented team like the Steelers isn't the way to win in the playoffs.

(2) The offense needs to learn how to be effective against the 3-4. Most of the teams that they've struggled against recently play the 3-4 (NE, PIT, SD). This includes picking up disguised blitzes.

(3) They need to be able to run something other than the stretch play. This is particularly true when going against 3-4 defenses. Their inability to run the ball (or their lack of commitment to it) has killed them in January over the past two years.