[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bill polian flipping out

Manning and Polian are supposedly professionals too, but they grabbed the opportunity to make the O line the scapegoat despite several aspects of their game being subpar.

1274023[/snapback]

I agree with most of that, but I don't necessarily think Peyton (haven't heard Polian yet) was "making excuses" so much as the detractors love to quickly say. You just lost a huge game...you're obviously very dissapointed...media asks what went wrong? The offensive line WAS the biggest problem they had, along with the defense in the first quarter. No excuses....just the TRUTH. Perhaps he could have worded it a little differently...but I don't think he was "throwing them under the bus". He will be the first one to tell you that he didn't play well when he didn't. (NE game last year). Even this game, he had some problems...but played decent. They had problems all around, but the offensive line's performance was very poor, and they should be held accountable. Essentially, instead of Peyton choking this year...the O-line came up looking like the Texans instead. That was the most dissapointing thing to see...those guys are good. Accountabiltiy......every one of those guys on the O-Line will be better players for it....trust me.

BTW, whenever there is a failure of this magnitude....there is ALWAYS a scapegoat...whether in pubilc eye or not. Afterall, it is a business as well.

Edited by Hitman

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest THEbigred

1 - Manning did NOT "throw the OL under the bus." If I read this one more time I'm going to hurl. For about the 100th time, he was specifically ASKED and was answering a question about the OL protection during the interview (which the media dorks conveniently left out). What was he supposed to say? They played great? He was kind in simply saying they "had protection problems." Of course it wasn't all their fault - and he wasn't saying it was.

2 - Polian is an egomaniacal ass.

3 - But so are mike and "mad dog" (course being radio DJs means they almost are by definition...)

1 - Manning did NOT "throw the OL under the bus."  If I read this one more time I'm going to hurl.  For about the 100th time, he was specifically ASKED and was answering a question about the OL protection during the interview (which the media dorks conveniently left out). What was he supposed to say? They played great? He was kind in simply saying they "had protection problems." Of course it wasn't all their fault - and he wasn't saying it was.

2 - Polian is an egomaniacal ass.

3 - But so are mike and "mad dog" (course being radio DJs means they almost are by definition...)

1274137[/snapback]

The clips being played don't include the question the is answering, they just play a statement. One of the things about the protection on the Colts is that Peyton calls the protection, and shares in the responsibility. It is the 'trying to be a good teammate here' part of his response that makes this sound like a bunch of BS. If he were just wanting to talk about protection problems he would ahave said "We had some protection problems. Some of that was what I recognized in the defens and called at the line, some of that was execution, and some of that was outstanding play from Pittsburgh." Simple enough, but when he makes the 'good teammate' statement he sounds directly like he's absolving himself of blame.

Guest THEbigred

?? When he makes the 'good teammate' statement he sounds directly like he's trying to emphasize that he isn't there to just rip on the OL. "Having protection problems" can easily mean that part of it was his or Moore's fault for play-calling (although impossible to say from that statement).

Look I'm not trying to absolve Manning or anything. But I am sick of the Manning-basher groupies...and worse, hate misinformation and the BS assumptions they create.

??  When he makes the 'good teammate' statement he sounds directly like he's trying to emphasize that he isn't there to just rip on the OL.  "Having protection problems" can easily mean that part of it was his or Moore's fault for play-calling (although impossible to say from that statement).

Look I'm not trying to absolve Manning or anything.  But I am sick of the Manning-basher groupies...and worse, hate misinformation and the BS assumptions they create.

1274232[/snapback]

Sorry, but if it sounds like that to you, you are one of the few. He answered a question "we had some protection problems", qualified it by saying "now I'm trying to be a good teammate here" ie. I don't want to directly throw my o-line under the bus, and then repeated "We had some protection problems". Moore is not his teammate. His o-line are his teammates. He's throwing them under the bus.

He created his own controversy with that 'good teammate' bit. This is not misinformation. This is what the guy said. :D

??  When he makes the 'good teammate' statement he sounds directly like he's trying to emphasize that he isn't there to just rip on the OL.  "Having protection problems" can easily mean that part of it was his or Moore's fault for play-calling (although impossible to say from that statement).

Look I'm not trying to absolve Manning or anything.  But I am sick of the Manning-basher groupies...and worse, hate misinformation and the BS assumptions they create.

1274232[/snapback]

We must have watched different things.

I don't think that Manning "threw anyone under the bus." By saying that he "is trying to be a good teammate" it seems pretty clear to me that he is critical of his teammates. Why else would he say that? In saying "we had protection problems," he is criticizing his offensive line. There is no other logical way to interpret that statement. Perhaps he has a legitimate beef. But its not something you say in front of the television cameras.

I think that it is best summed up by saying that he made an unfortunate choice of words that showed his frustration with his offensive line.

From Boomer Esiason's nfl.com 18 Jan 06 column:

...After being badgered repeatedly by reporters about his team's failure to beat the Steelers, Peyton finally cracked and said something of interest to the media.

Anyone who knows Peyton knows that he is a great teammate and warrior -- Reggie Wayne so aptly pointed this out -- and for anyone to think that one player is going to overcome the onslaught thrown at him and his teammates, obviously doesn't know football.

Sorry, but if it sounds like that to you, you are one of the few.  He answered a question "we had some protection problems", qualified it by saying "now I'm trying to be a good teammate here" ie. I don't want to directly throw my o-line under the bus, and then repeated "We had some protection problems".  Moore is not his teammate.  His o-line are his teammates.  He's throwing them under the bus.

He created his own controversy with that 'good teammate' bit.  This is not misinformation.  This is what the guy said.  :D

1274247[/snapback]

Funny how Peyton takes a ton of heat for his pseudo-controversial comments, yet the media completely ignores Willie McGinnest getting into a fight with Larry Izzo on the sidelines the previous evening. :D

The East Coast media hates the Colts and Manning in particular. So, I guess this shouldn't be surprising.

Funny how Peyton takes a ton of heat for his pseudo-controversial comments, yet the media completely ignores Willie McGinnest getting into a fight with Larry Izzo on the sidelines the previous evening.  :D

The East Coast media hates the Colts and Manning in particular.  So, I guess this shouldn't be surprising.

1275611[/snapback]

:D They have talked about it here. Typical "heat of the game" explanation...

This has nothing to do with the east coast media. It has to do with my own perception of Manning's comments. HE is the one that created this perception. Had he left out the now infamous 'good teammate' part, I would be defending him. But he didn't.

Funny how Peyton takes a ton of heat for his pseudo-controversial comments, yet the media completely ignores Willie McGinnest getting into a fight with Larry Izzo on the sidelines the previous evening.  :D

The East Coast media hates the Colts and Manning in particular.  So, I guess this shouldn't be surprising.

1275611[/snapback]

I don't get this. What does an argument with a coll basketball coach have to do with calling out teammates like Peyton did? Who cares about that? Why should that get media coverage?

As for the East coast media hating the Colts and Manning that's bull. FACT Manning is 3-6 or 3-7 in the playoffs. FACT EVERY year there is some excuse why the Colts lose. FACT they were a HUGH favorite coming in and lost their FIRST playoff game. So with all that said why, when QB's ALWAYS take the heat or credit when their teams win or lose, shouldn't Peyton get smacked a little here? No one is saying hey Peyton sucks, he is a GREAT QB, but he and his teams have come up small in big games since college and that is again a FACT. So he should take heat. If he does ever win a SB, and he will if the Colts get tougher and take the play calling away from Manning thus leading to more running, it will make it that much sweeter.

:D  They have talked about it here.  Typical "heat of the game" explanation...

This has nothing to do with the east coast media.  It has to do with my own perception of Manning's comments.  HE is the one that created this perception.  Had he left out the now infamous 'good teammate' part, I would be defending him.  But he didn't.

1275624[/snapback]

That's funny, I've heard very little about it nationally. Frankly, I think that saying "our pass protection broke down" is a hell of a lot more benign than getting into a freaking shoving match with one's teammates during a game. If I allowed my teammate to get the crap knocked out of him all day and he said that we "didn't protect well" in the post-game conference, I'd take that over him trying to kick my ass on the sideline.

I don't get this. What does an argument with a coll basketball coach have to do with calling out teammates like Peyton did? Who cares about that? Why should that get media coverage?

As for the East coast media hating the Colts and Manning that's bull.

1275632[/snapback]

You obviously don't read Michael Smith, Bill Simmons, or Peter King. They all loooove the Pats and rip the Colts (especially Manning) whenever they get the chance. Oh, and you must've missed the "Why Can't Peyton Manning Win the Big Game" segment on Cold Pizza on Monday. :D

You obviously don't read Michael Smith, Bill Simmons, or Peter King.  They all loooove the Pats and rip the Colts (especially Manning) whenever they get the chance.  Oh, and you must've missed the "Why Can't Peyton Manning Win the Big Game" segment on Cold Pizza on Monday.   :D

1275665[/snapback]

Well then tell Peyton to win a big game or better yet, lead his team to 3 SB victories in 4 years. He'd even get some credit if he could win 1 big game. The guy chokes in big games. It's a story. It's fact. It's not bias.

Edited by Dragon

Well then tell Peyton to win a big game or better yet, lead his team to 3 SB victories in 4 years.  He'd even get some credit if he could win 1 big game.  The guy chokes in big games.  It's a story.  It's fact.  It's not bias.

1275683[/snapback]

See how the media bias has effected this guy? PEYTON lost those games ALL BY HIMSELF. :D

See how the media bias has effected this guy?  PEYTON lost those games ALL BY HIMSELF.   :D

1275697[/snapback]

Actually I didn't read any of the articles, nor do I watch cold pizza (not there is anything wrong with that :D ). And I don't see where I stated that Peyton lost the games by himself. He chokes. He is incap.... Nevermind, I didn't realize who I was trying to reason with. Give the Mannings my regards when you see them tonight.

Edited by Dragon

Actually I didn't read any of the articles, nor do I watch cold pizza (not there is anything wrong with that  :D ).  And I don't see where I stated that Peyton lost the games by himself.

1275710[/snapback]

You didn't, but several media outlets did.

He chokes. He is incap....

Kind of like how Brady "choked" on Saturday night when he threw that stupid INT in the endzone that resulted in a 14-point turnaround in favor of Denver? :D

Football TEAMS win games. What the hell has Brady ever won without a dominant defense? Zilch. You need the full package to do it. The Colts have not played well AS A TEAM in the playoffs and THAT'S the reason that they're not wearing any rings. Only tools of the pro-Pats media call Peyton a "choke."

You obviously don't read Michael Smith, Bill Simmons, or Peter King.  They all loooove the Pats and rip the Colts (especially Manning) whenever they get the chance.  Oh, and you must've missed the "Why Can't Peyton Manning Win the Big Game" segment on Cold Pizza on Monday.  :D

1275665[/snapback]

I am not familiar with Bill Simmons, but Peter King and Michael Smith make sense. I don't know where King hails from, but he seems to be a fan of Boston sports teams, and particularly the Red Sox and Pats. Michael Smith was a local reporter before he went national and still does fills in on local radio shows for hosts. Either of them is unfortunately biased towards the Pats.

That's funny, I've heard very little about it nationally.  Frankly, I think that saying "our pass protection broke down" is a hell of a lot more benign than getting into a freaking shoving match with one's teammates during a game.  If I allowed my teammate to get the crap knocked out of him all day and he said that we "didn't protect well" in the post-game conference, I'd take that over him trying to kick my ass on the sideline.

You obviously don't read Michael Smith, Bill Simmons, or Peter King.  They all loooove the Pats and rip the Colts (especially Manning) whenever they get the chance.  Oh, and you must've missed the "Why Can't Peyton Manning Win the Big Game" segment on Cold Pizza on Monday.  :D

1275665[/snapback]

But he hasn't won the big game. And saying he won or lost thos by himself isn't a fair statement. Right or wrong the QB gets the credit or the blame when his team wins or losses. Look at Elway he was bashed until he won the SB and he went to 3 or 4 before then and led great last minute playoff drives which Manning has done NONE of. Look at Marino it's always he's great but...So you are wrong here. It should be said why can't Manning win the big game because he hasn't. And yes the QB, as ALWAYS, right or wrong gets the creit or blame.

Only tools of the pro-Pats media call Peyton a "choke."

1275727[/snapback]

Actually, I can't stand the Patriots. :doah: But whatever gets you through the day.

You need the full package to do it

You would know best if any of the Mannings have a "full package". I'll just take your word for it.

You didn't, but several media outlets did.

Kind of like how Brady "choked" on Saturday night when he threw that stupid INT in the endzone that resulted in a 14-point turnaround in favor of Denver?  :D

Football TEAMS win games.  What the hell has Brady ever won without a dominant defense?  Zilch.  You need the full package to do it.  The Colts have not played well AS A TEAM in the playoffs and THAT'S the reason that they're not wearing any rings.  Only tools of the pro-Pats media call Peyton a "choke."

1275727[/snapback]

That was Brady's first playoff loss. If Manning was 7-3 in the playoffs this wouldn't be said.

And I'm sorry while factually correct you second statement doesn't work. Again right or wrong FOREVER QB's get the credit or blame for wins and losses.

Again why can't Peyton take a hit for his bad playoff record and his team always having some excuse why they lost?

That was Brady's first playoff loss. If Manning was 7-3 in the playoffs this wouldn't be said.

And I'm sorry while factually correct you second statement doesn't work. Again right or wrong FOREVER QB's get the credit or blame for wins and losses.

Again why can't Peyton take a hit for his bad playoff record and his team always having some excuse why they lost?

1275748[/snapback]

True enough, the QB is the one that gets the glory or the blame.

But he hasn't won the big game. And saying he won or lost thos by himself isn't a fair statement. Right or wrong the QB gets the credit or the blame when his team wins or losses. Look at Elway he was bashed until he won the SB and he went to 3 or 4 before then and led great last minute playoff drives which Manning has done NONE of. Look at Marino it's always he's great but...So you are wrong here. It should be said why can't Manning win the big game because he hasn't. And yes the QB, as ALWAYS, right or wrong gets the creit or blame.

1275742[/snapback]

How is someone "incapble of winning the big game" when the other pieces of his team that are NECESSARY to do so aren't there? That's just stupid.

and led great last minute playoff drives which Manning has done NONE of.

He won a shootout on the road in front of 90,000 people in Arrowhead in January of '05. Trent Dilfer sure as hell wouldn't have done that.