[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers / Seahawks

steeler

I did some research on NFL.com and came up with these stats...

Steelers opponent winning percentage (.492)

Seahawks opponent winning percentage (.429)

Steelers vs winning teams this year (regular season): 4-4

Seahawks vs winning teams this year (regular season): 3-2

Steelers opponent winning percentage in playoffs (.792)

Seahawks opponent winning percentage in playoffs (.656)

Now, I know you can only play who is on your schedule, but I'm making the argument that the Steelers have had the tougher road to get to the Superbowl, both in the regular season and the playoffs, and therefore are more battle tested or whatever than Seattle.

The Steelers have played better competition all year and avenged two of their regular season losses in the playoffs. Seattle's three wins against winning teams where against Dallas (Bledsoe gift), NY Giants (close game) and Indy (not trying to win).

Are these meaningful stats to anyone?

Steelers opponent winning percentage in playoffs (.792)

Seahawks opponent winning percentage in playoffs (.656)

1283254[/snapback]

The Steelers rolled against three very good teams in the playoffs and played more winning teams during the season. Seattle beat two mediocre playoff teams and struggled against winning teams in the regular season.

I think it means the Steelers are gonna win :D

And the Hawks only beat the Giants because Jay Feely missed 3 chances at the game-winning field goal.

1283441[/snapback]

The Giants were only IN the game because the ref's spotted them Shockeys BS dropped-ball no-feet-on-the-ground TD. Don't get me started.

Edited by Bonehand

Seattle beat two mediocre playoff teams and struggled against winning teams in the regular season.

1284605[/snapback]

What is the over/under on how many times we hear something like this from Steeler fans about the Seahawks leading up to the superbowl? :D

What is the over/under on how many times we hear something like this from Steeler fans about the Seahawks leading up to the superbowl?  :D

1284623[/snapback]

You haven't heard it from me, and though, I do think the NFC on the whole was a bit weaker than the AFC, that doesn't matter in this gaem. Seattle is playing very well. They have a strong running back, solid offense line, and a QB that is gaining confidence each week. Their defesnse, which at one time I felt was their weakness, impressed me last week. Don't get me wrong, the Steelers are my pick, but I think this Seahawks team is VERY good.

What is the over/under on how many times we hear something like this from Steeler fans about the Seahawks leading up to the superbowl?  :D

1284623[/snapback]

probably about the same as it was for Redskins fans making similar comments before they lost to Seattle and Carolina fans before they lost to Seattle.... ::D

probably about the same as it was for Redskins fans making similar comments before they lost to Seattle and Carolina fans before they lost to Seattle....  ::D

1284697[/snapback]

I'm not "dissing" Seatte, I was just wondering how much emphasis people would place on these kind of statistics. I see it's not much... no biggie :D

I definately agree that the Steelers have had the much tougher road. I also expect them to win the game..but...

The 1 thing Seattle brings that the others that played Pitt did not is a truly GREAT offensive line. They were able to make excellent QB's look horrible because of that great Pitt d-line/blitz package that they have thrown at teams. Seattle is capable of taming that D-line/Blitz package and I expect Hasslebeck to have a little more time to throw than the others did. Then you add in the presence of Alexander and I see Pitt back on their heels defensively.

That being said I see Pitt doing whatever they want on offense and winning a high scoring game.

I definately agree that the Steelers have had the much tougher road. I also expect them to win the game..but...

The 1 thing Seattle brings that the others that played Pitt did not is a truly GREAT offensive line. They were able to make excellent QB's look horrible because of that great Pitt d-line/blitz package that they have thrown at teams. Seattle is capable of taming that D-line/Blitz package and I expect Hasslebeck to have a little more time to throw than the others did. Then you add in the presence of Alexander and I see Pitt back on their heels defensively.

That being said I see Pitt doing whatever they want on offense and winning a high scoring game.

1284919[/snapback]

So how much better is Seattle's O line than the Bengals, Colts and Broncos? All four teams have excellent O lines and everyone saw what the Steelers D did to the latter three. I'd say the Bengals held them the best of the three, but I don't think LeBeau blitzed as much in the Bengal game.

That being said, I think the Steelers give Hasselbeck fits in XL and win the game going away.

So how much better is Seattle's O line than the Bengals, Colts and Broncos?  All four teams have excellent O lines and everyone saw what the Steelers D did to the latter three.  I'd say the Bengals held them the best of the three, but I don't think LeBeau blitzed as much in the Bengal game.

While it's tough to quantify O-Line play, I'll try.

YPC=Rush Yds/Attempts

Sack%=Times sacked/(Pass Att+Times Sacked)

Seattle 4.73 YPC, 5.4% Sack%

Denver 4.68 YPC, 4.7% Sack%

Indianapolis 3.7 YPC, 3.7% Sack%

Cincinnati 3.2 YPC, 3.8% Sack%

Pittsburgh 3.0 YPC, 7.8% Sack%

Basically, there's a formula using these two numbers and total plays that gives a final rating for O-Lines (and D-Lines) published by Bob Carroll, Pete Palmer, and John Thorn in The Hidden Game of Football.

Using this, the lines would rank this way:

1. Denver 101.4

2. Seattle 100.5

3. Cincinnati 99.6

4. Indianapolis 94.5

5. Pittsburgh 87.2

One would think that 7.8% for Pittsburgh does not bode well for Big Ben against the #1 defense for sacks this season.

1286254[/snapback]

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Steeler apologists care to address why your line gives up so many sacks?

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Steeler apologists care to address why your line gives up so many sacks?

1286372[/snapback]

Where did those numbers come from, and what are they based on (Season, Playoffs)

If those are true, they are surprising, but I like the way the Steelers are playing right now.

I'm not "dissing" Seatte, I was just wondering how much emphasis people would place on these kind of statistics.  I see it's not much... no biggie :D

1284870[/snapback]

I realize you're not dissing us. I'm just pointing out that their are Seahawk doubters on a national level, which I can understand. It takes a Superbowl birth to make opponents believe.

Regarding your stats. If I were a Steeler fan I'd enjoy them. As a Seahawks fan I yawn at them cause we've been exceeding expectations all year long.

Edited by Jedi