[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FLIGHT 93

Randall

Saved the White House

What Happened That Day

On September 11, 2001, United Airlines Flight 93, bound for San Francisco, was scheduled to depart Newark International at 8:01 a.m. But airport construction and heavy runway traffic forced a wait of 41 minutes.

The plane did not lift off until 8:42 a.m.

News accounts and experts credit the delay as the primary reason why Fight 93 was the only one of that day's four deadly flights to fail its appalling mission.

By the time Flight 93 was airborne, the other hijacked jets in the tightly planned attacks had already taken off and were closing in on their targets.

American Airlines Flight 11 left Boston at 7:59 and hit the north tower of the World Trade Center at 8:46. United 175 also lifted off from Boston, at 8:14, and flew into the south tower at 9:02. After taking off from Dulles at 8:20, headed for Los Angeles, American Flight 77 veered off course at 8:55. Fifteen minutes later, the plane turned back. It crashed into the west side of the Pentagon at 9:38. (All times are Eastern.)

The three initial hijackings were detected by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and reported one by one to the Air Force's North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), at 8:43, 8:53 and 9:24. NORAD's order to scramble military jets out of Otis Air Force Base in Massachusetts came at 8:46.

The Newark delay was critical. It put Flight 93 on an entirely different - and historic - course.

Once the four terrorists took over their plane, passengers and crew were able to phone friends, family and emergency officials to report the hijacking. During those calls, passengers learned about the horrific events in New York and in Washington. The news had already saturated the airwaves. It was clear that the attacks were coordinated and their plane was part of the plan. The realization motivated passengers and crew to band together and fight.

The courageous men and women aboard Flight 93 hatched a hasty, desperate plan to attack the terrorists and try to prevent them from hitting their selected target, probably the White House or the US Capitol.

The passenger leaders, including Tom Burnett, Mark Bingham, Todd Beamer, Jeremy Glick, and the rest of the passengers and crew, began making final, heartrending calls to say goodbye to loved ones and family. At 9:58, Todd Beamer ended his call to his wife, and most cell phone calls ended then as well. The frantic fight began.

At 10:06, Flight 93 crashed in a field near a wooded area in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, in Somerset County, a scant 20 minutes by air from the White House. All 33 passengers and 7 crewmembers were killed. Tragically, the people on board had achieved their goal.

In all, on that dreadful, dreadful morning, only one hour and fifty-three minutes elapsed from the time the first flight was hijacked at 8:13 to the moment Flight 93 crashed.

Later, when the tapes of those indelible farewell calls were released and re-played, all of America and people around the world got to hear, firsthand, the extraordinary bravery and determination of the ordinary civilians who chose to give their lives in order to save the lives of countless others.

Daring, honorable and self-sacrificing, they are true American heroes. The story of Flight 93 is a legacy for us all.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they going to show how our f-14's blew the thing out of the sky?

Seriously, you have to believe that is what happened.

I can understand not revealing that truth for several reasons- one of which is trying to salvage something "good" out of a terrible day- something for Americans to rally around- the heroism of those passengers, etc. and I do think that they were fighting back and that they were heroic in their efforts, but I still think that they didn't crash the plane.

I can understand not revealing that truth for several reasons- one of which is trying to salvage something "good" out of a terrible day- something for Americans to rally around- the heroism of those passengers, etc. and I do think that they were fighting back and that they were heroic in their efforts, but I still think that they didn't crash the plane.

1285699[/snapback]

are you kidding me?!?!?!? and the pentagon wasnt hit by a plane either, right!!!!

:D

no cover up!!

Edited by dmarc117

1285699[/snapback]

Why would you think the plane was shot down...by a Naval jet in Pennsylvania? :D

No reason to think other than the plane went down as discussed.

here's a question for you if you were on board and stormed the cockpit and somehow got control of the plane wouldn't you have at least tried to fly the thing- get someone on the radio to talk to you, etc. or would you just say f-it-let's fly it straight into the ground?

Why would you think the plane was shot down...by a Naval jet in Pennsylvania?  :D

1285747[/snapback]

I apologize if my classification of military plane was incorrect if that is what you are impying :D

here's a question for you if you were on board and stormed the cockpit and somehow got control of the plane wouldn't you have at least tried to fly the thing- get someone on the radio to talk to you, etc. or would you just say f-it-let's fly it straight into the ground?

1285748[/snapback]

:D Who says they ever got control?

Call me a conspiracy theorist I guess, but I remember thinking on 9-11 when all that news was filtering in that we must have shot down that plane-and nothing has changed my mind- not even the Government's denials :gasp: does anyone really think we know everything that went down behind the scenes on 9-11 or that we ever will?

My whole reason to believe it is that we had plenty of time to react to that plane heading towards D.C. and we DID scramble jets about 30 minutes prior to it "crashing" with orders to shoot it down if it did not divert- this is fact no? it happens to crash just before the jets get there in an uninhabited field because the passengers steered it into the ground- talk about amazing coincidence/timing.

I can also totally understand not making it public if we DID in fact shoot the plane down- the story of flight 93 was an inspiring one that made you proud to be an American- what good would it do to deflate that rallying point by saying we gunned it down-yeah nice try guys, let's roll, etc. but it didn't matter because it was shot out of the sky anyway- that would be a stupid thing for the Government to announce.

Obviously just my opinion and nobody really knows so not worth debating any further- some of the news reports that came out a few days after the crash are interesting at least....

* "The U.S. government insists the plane exploded on impact, yet a one-ton section of the engine was found over a mile away and other light debris was found scattered over eight miles away.

* "Passenger Edward Felt made an emergency call from the plane. He spoke of an explosion and seeing some white smoke. The supervisor who took the call has been gagged by the FBI.

* "UA93 was identified as a hijack at 9:16 am. At 9:35 am three F-16s were ordered to 'protect the White House at all costs' when it turned towards the capital. At 10:06 am it crashed at Shanksville, less than 10 minutes flying time from Washington.

* "Sources claim the last thing heard on the cockpit voice recorder is the sound of wind - suggesting the plane had been holed.

* "The FBI insists there was no military plane in the area, but at 9:22 am a sonic boom - caused by a supersonic jet - was picked up by an earthquake monitor in southern Pennsylvania, 60 miles away from Shanksville."

----------------------------------

On the Sept. 16, 2001, edition of NBC's "Meet the Press," Vice President Dick Cheney, while not addressing Flight 93 specifically, spoke clearly to the administration's clear policy regarding shooting down hijacked jets.

Vice President Cheney: "Well, the -- I suppose the toughest decision was this question of whether or not we would intercept incoming commercial aircraft."

NBC's Tim Russert: "And you decided?"

Cheney: "We decided to do it. We'd, in effect, put a flying combat air patrol up over the city; F-16s with an AWACS, which is an airborne radar system, and tanker support so they could stay up a long time...

"It doesn't do any good to put up a combat air patrol if you don't give them instructions to act, if, in fact, they feel it's appropriate."

Russert: "So if the United States government became aware that a hijacked commercial airline[r] was destined for the White House or the Capitol, we would take the plane down?"

Cheney: "Yes. The president made the decision ... that if the plane would not divert ... as a last resort, our pilots were authorized to take them out. Now, people say, you know, that's a horrendous decision to make. Well, it is. You've got an airplane full of American citizens, civilians, captured by ... terrorists, headed and are you going to, in fact, shoot it down, obviously, and kill all those Americans on board?

"... It's a presidential-level decision, and the president made, I think, exactly the right call in this case, to say, I wished we'd had combat air patrol up over New York.'"

Edited by Marauders11

Todd Beamer's wife is named Lisa Beamer. The guy that wrote her book, Ken Abraham, is my next door neighbor and one of the nicest people that I have ever met. The book is entitled, "Lets Roll". If you want to read their book, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/084237418...glance&n=283155

Edited by spain

Where'd you get those news reports Marauders? Got any links or going from memory? Not busting you at all, would just like to read the stories and know where they're from.

1285793[/snapback]

just Googled "Flight 93 shot down"..there are a ton of "conspiracy theories"- some more wacky than other but most of them do cite the same facts that appeared in reputable newspapers, etc days after the crash...

Here's a few links:

I apologize if my classification of military plane was incorrect if that is what you are impying  :D

1285754[/snapback]

Well, no...you were specifying a particular aircraft...and one that isn't in the public eye near as much as the F-15/16/18...I would have thought you read that somewhere and not pulled it out of thin air. I took you at your post...won't be so quick to do it next time. :oldrolleyes:

:D  Who says they ever got control?

1285768[/snapback]

Exactly.

Because they were going to be overtaken?  I don't know for sure.

1285791[/snapback]

My thoughts on that particular aircraft hijacking would be along the lines of...the passengers tried taking over the aircraft and the hijackers more than likely realized they would not be able to fly for another 20 minutes, find their target and attack it before they were overwhelmed. I'm sure they didn't want to get caught either so...next option, fly the plane in to the ground killing everyone.

I think that is a scenario that is far more likely. In my opinion, of course.

No offense Marauders, but you are an idiot and a jack ass.

1285839[/snapback]

no offense but blow me-

because I don't believe everything that is spoon fed to me? there are a lot of unanswered questions is all I was pointing out so because you live next door to Lisa Beamers' co-author I am a jack ass. :D

If you read my posts I am not belittling the efforts of the passengers on board- I think they were very brave for at least trying to do something-I just doubt that they actually caused the plane to go down on their own.

Now why don't you enlighten me on what really happened oh wise one.

Show me one "idiotic" thing that I posted in this thread (except for saying f-14 off the top of my head rather than f-16 :doah: )- all I did was voice my opinion on what I think may have happened-

you are the intolerant idiot if you can't accept that not everyone walks around thinking the way you do (thank god)

Edited by Marauders11

1285699[/snapback]

:D

Why would you think the plane was shot down...by a Naval jet in Pennsylvania?  :D

1285747[/snapback]

Woulda been an F-16 doing the dirtywork if anything. :D

no offense but blow me-

because I don't believe everything that is spoon fed to me? there are a lot of unanswered questions is all I was pointing out so because you live next door to Lisa Beamers' co-author I am a jack ass.  :D

If you read my posts I am not belittling the efforts of the passengers on board- I think they were very brave for at least trying to do something-I just doubt that they actually caused the plane to go down on their own.

Now why don't you enlighten me on what really happened oh wise one.

1285868[/snapback]

Like most conspiracy theorists who run around chasing UFO's, the shooter on the grassy Knoll, or the real killers of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, you are a nut. It is pretty dam obvious what happened to those people on that ill fated flight. And yet, like the an Art Bell listener, you want to find conspiracy and things that go bump in the night in everything. You are idiot, not because I am friends with Ken Abraham, but because you like to dwell in the world of make believe and supposition. But in this case, doing so is not only not productive, but hurts alot of people who have already suffered greatly.

Like most conspiracy theorists who run around chasing UFO's, the shooter on the grassy Knoll, or the real killers of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, you are a nut.  It is pretty dam obvious what happened to those people on that ill fated flight.  And yet, like the an Art Bell listener, you want to find conspiracy and things that go bump in the night in everything.  You are idiot, not because I am friends with Ken Abraham, but because you like to dwell in the world of make believe and supposition.  But in this case, doing so is not only not productive, but hurts alot of people who have already suffered greatly.

1285884[/snapback]

I don't believe in UFO's

I don't think Oswald acted alone (I must be nuts)

OJ killed Nicole

I don't know who Art Bell is

I don't really seek out things that go bump in the night-I just happened to think FROM DAY 1 that we probably shot that plane down.

Who am I hurting by saying that there are a lot of unanswerd questions surrounding the whole Flight 93 deal

You are the one living in a fantasy world if you just believe unequivocally what everyone tells you. so again, please blow me duche bag