[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Free cities

Meat Face

I wrote in the neigborhood of 6 to 7 pretty substantial papers on this very topic, or topics very related. Interesting. Never gonna happen, but interesting nonetheless. Unfortunately, our dependence on the automobile has grown too strong.

Edit: To further define "dependence" in this sense, I mean we ENJOY driving too much. Plus, many services are now relied upon which involve automobile transport.

Honestly, in a sense, if you want to live in a car-less (or less car-dependent) environment, move to a big city like Chicago. Your neighborhood SHOULD have all the services you need within walking distance. There are always taxis (hence "less car-dependent") for mid-range travel. Or subways/trains. I could easily move to Chicago, sans car, and survive. I would, however, probably opt to have a car just for convenience's sake.

Edited by darin3

Most of the new sub developments around here are on that premise... they come in cut down all the trees , move the dirt around , flatten the 300 acres then sculpted it into a village..... And the dumb asses pay like a million bucks to live there :D

In New York, many people don't own cars or even have a driver's license. Everything is within walking distance and it is just too darn expensive to park a car in NYC. It's all the commuters that bring their cars with them into the city.

If we changed the speed limit to 175 MPH, people would get to work faster and therefore use less gas.

1296357[/snapback]

Speed limits are archaic and only serve to promote mediocrity (at best) in driving skills and allow police stations to buy cool new light bars for their cruisers.