[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think I saved my dog from choking.

Skippy

This happened earlier tonight but as I think about it and after talking to my wife about it I have decided to share it.

Our dog was chewing the crap out of a store bought rawhide that was twisted to look like a bone. He got one of the ends off the bone and must have swallowed it. He was choking and really looking like he was in trouble. He was pawing at his neck like crazy. I grabbed him and opened his mouth to see if I could see anything lodged in the back of his mouth and noticed that his tongue was turning blue. It was amazing but he seemed to calm down when I was working on him but I could tell he was having a lot of trouble so I just picked him up and gave him the Heimlich maneuver the same way that you would give it to a person. Nothing came out of his mouth but he started breathing right after my first thrust. He then came over and offered me a little poop tongue as he really likes to do when he is happy. Then he put his head down on my leg and just rested there.

You might want to watch his eating habits closely over the next week or so. If it was big enough to choke him he may have trouble passing it. :D

1299002[/snapback]

I had a dog swallow a popcicle stick, it didn't choke him. When I called the vet said "It WILL pass!".

Nice work Skip!!! :D A few times our dogs have gotten those rawhides stuck, but it was always visible in their throat and I just reached in and pulled it out. I guess we should all follow a rule that says No rawhides when a dog is alone!

Nice work Skipster! :D

One of my boxers almost choked to death a few years back too. MrBunz was doggie inexperienced back then and fed her a piece of steak that was way too big...thinking she'd chew it. :D

Of course....she tried to inhale it. A few seconds later I see her making that chewing motion like she's trying to get something out of the back of her mouth. I opened her mouth, reached in a pulled out the hunk of steak lodged in her throat...and heard a hugh intake of air. :doah:

Scared the life out of me.....LOL. After that...wheneven she got her chewies down to palmsized....I'd confiscate them and throw them away......LOL. :D

Can we get a ruling on this?

1299137[/snapback]

Poop tongue is what my nine year old calls it when the dog licks any of us in the mouth. The dog loves putting its tongue as close to in your mouth as he can get it. Sometimes if he catches you just right he will slip the "poop tongue" right in your mouth. :D Now if you haven't figured out why we call it poop tongue then you must not have a dog. Dogs seem to have a thing for licking ass h oles. Hence the term poop tongue.

As for the dog. He is doing pretty well today. He has eaten and went to do a number two. My wife confirmed that number two came out. The vet just suggested that we keep and eye on him to make sure that he is eating and going to the bathroom, well, yard.

You can tell that the dog knows that I did something special for him as he is really being extra affectionate toward me today. He is a really good dog but he is a baby to the wife and little girl. Not so much me until now.

Oh and quick funny story about this dog. He is only a year old and still likes to piss when he gets really excited. I have it down to a science and can pick him up and point him like a squirt gun and make him fire at will. :D My wife doesn’t like this stupid pet trick so much. :D