[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Official Bears/Packers Thread....

Pope Flick

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of your head coach? Yeah, Lovie is a damn good football man.

Of your defense? GB's front 7 has potential, but Chicago's is already there.

Of your offensive line? Solid group.

Of your QB? :D:lol:

With respect, we have a QB with considerable potential. You have a HoF lock who would have been better advised to hang it up at the end of last season.

I'd rather be on our side of the QB fence right now. :D

With respect, we have a QB with considerable potential. You have a HoF lock who would have been better advised to hang it up at the end of last season.

C'mon, you're better than that; if you think Favre should've hung it up due to the team around him, I can see that - you Bear fans are quite magnanimous when it comes to deciding if/when a Barry Sanders or Brett Favre should retire, as to spare them embarrassment. :D

But his physical skills, while obviously declining from when he was at his peak, certainly don't merit his hanging them up. He still has the arm strength and enough mobility to keep him a legitimately productive NFL QB, at least in the upper half of starting QBs.

The fact remains that the Bears are dominant. Now.

Another fact is that you didn't show up to talk mess until AFTER the game. And apparently didn't read ANY of the thread prior to posting. :D

Edited by Chavez

5 Most Memorable Moments in Packer/Bear History:

(personally memorable, since it's tough to remember something that happened before you were born)

5 - Halloween Night, 1994 - heinous weather, throwback unis, the retiring of Sayers and Butkus' spamshirts, Monday Night - all the makings of an NFC Norris classic game. Or not so much, as Green Bay CRUSHED Chicago 33-6, rolling up about 250 yds rushing.

4 - Favre-to-Brooks, and 99 yds later... 1995 - this is one I clearly remember as me and the boys were at Terry's Bar in Oshkosh, and GB was backed up on their own one; we immediately started grousing "great, 3 FB dives and a punt. I just wish Holmgren would take a chance for once." We STARTED going nuts when Favre took a five step drop, were jumping up and down when he threw deep, I think somebody hopped up onto the table when we saw Brooks was open, and there was a massive dogpile when he caught it and took off. I don't think we even saw him cross the goal line.

3 - Majkowski-to-Sharpe, the Instant Replay Game, 1989 - he was over the line! No he wasn't! Well, he probably was but the refs count it anyway! Bedlam ensues!

2 - Favre GTD with a gimpy ankle, 1995 - I was fortunate to actually be AT this game; and this being pre-cell phone (at least I didn't have one yet) there was not really any way to find out if he was playing or not after rolling his ankle pretty badly vs the Vikes the previous week. GB introduced the offense, and when Favre ran out of that tunnel, it was one of the most electric moments I've ever been a party to. Of course, it would have been less memorable had Favre stunk it up; fortunately, he didn't, tossing 5 tds in a 35-28 "defense optional" win.

1 - Charles Martin bodyslams McMahon, 1986 - disgraceful and disgusting but also unforgettable

Honorable mention: Keith Wood-who?, 1989 - played in the shadow of the earlier '89 game, this one proved that the prior win was no fluke - and it started when the semi-talented Keith Woodside went up the middle, executed the slowest spin move I can ever recall seeing, and sauntered 68 yds for a td, keying a 40-28 mashing of the Bears.

- Days of Future Past, 1993 - Favre plays one heck of a game - well except for the two ints run back for tds in a 30-17 loss.

- "Chester Marcol, Thou Art Avenged", 1999 - in what may have been a metaphor for the brief Rhodes era, the Bears sneak out with a 14-13 win when Longwell's game-tying extra point is BLOCKED. IIRC this game was also played on the Sunday after Sweetness passed away.

Can we add: "First time in Brett Favre's career he has been shut out" to this list?

C'mon, you're better than that; if you think Favre should've hung it up due to the team around him, I can see that - you Bear fans are quite magnanimous when it comes to deciding if/when a Barry Sanders or Brett Favre should retire, as to spare them embarrassment. :D

But his physical skills, while obviously declining from when he was at his peak, certainly don't merit his hanging them up. He still has the arm strength and enough mobility to keep him a legitimately productive NFL QB, at least in the upper half of starting QBs.

Absolutely he should have hung it up because of the team around him (and put himself one year closer to the HoF that he richly deserves) but even more because Green Bay need to see what they have in Rodgers. If they're in rebuild mode, which they are, then it would make more sense to rebuild with an entirely new team including QB.

In November, when the Pack are 1 and 9 or something, they're going to have to make a very tough decision about Brett.

Absolutely he should have hung it up because of the team around him (and put himself one year closer to the HoF that he richly deserves) but even more because Green Bay need to see what they have in Rodgers. If they're in rebuild mode, which they are, then it would make more sense to rebuild with an entirely new team including QB.

In November, when the Pack are 1 and 9 or something, they're going to have to make a very tough decision about Brett.

When they were heading towards 0-1 with about 6 minutes left in the 4th today, they apparently couldn't make a not-very-tough decision to get Rodgers some PT.

THAT was a disappointing thing to me.

Personally, I never quite got the "force out your best player so as to COMPLETELY rebuild"; Favre wants to play, I'd assume he knows it's going to be a rough year - though as one local radio wag put it, playing THIS year might mean Favre will try to play another 3 or so years - why go through the misery and not stick around for the potential reward?

Can we add: "First time in Brett Favre's career he has been shut out" to this list?

That was MY list. I'm pretty sure that yours would be different. This game won't go on there for me; nothing notable really happened - GB got shut out, seen it plenty of times before, I'm sure I'll see it sometime again (though hopefully not for a while), no particularly memorable plays or performance (maybe Muhammad's for a Bear fan). Just domination by the Bears.

That was MY list. I'm pretty sure that yours would be different. This game won't go on there for me; nothing notable really happened - GB got shut out, seen it plenty of times before, I'm sure I'll see it sometime again (though hopefully not for a while), no particularly memorable plays or performance (maybe Muhammad's for a Bear fan). Just domination by the Bears.

First GB shutout in 233 games, wasn't it, or something like that?

When they were heading towards 0-1 with about 6 minutes left in the 4th today, they apparently couldn't make a not-very-tough decision to get Rodgers some PT.

THAT was a disappointing thing to me.

Personally, I never quite got the "force out your best player so as to COMPLETELY rebuild"; Favre wants to play, I'd assume he knows it's going to be a rough year - though as one local radio wag put it, playing THIS year might mean Favre will try to play another 3 or so years - why go through the misery and not stick around for the potential reward?

To be honest, I have no wish to see Favre carried off a field or to be forced into heaving Hail Mary's in an attempt to get his team on the scoreboard at last. I would rather he didn't end up like some of the bums that hang on too long. Still, if he wants to play, he definitely still can - just not quite at the level we are all used to seeing.

• 2 months later...

We have two Packer/Bears sigline bets on deck already:

- my standard bet with my good friend rr - whoever wins the season series (in the case of a split, decided by point differential) for 2 weeks

- and a new bet with my good friend Ursa - best regular season record between Packers and Bears gets 4 weeks

I am willing to take action on who starts more games, Favre or Grossman, as well. :D

Since any lingering mathematical possibility of the Packers overtaking the Bears was eliminated last weekend, here is your new sigline through the end of the NFL regular season, Chavez, ol' buddy.

I, Chavez, have an inexplicable foolishness in that I root for a crappy football team called the Green Bay Packers. This foolishness is compounded by my habit of striking ridiculous sigline bets with fans of the mighty Bears, leading to me having to wear this sig line as a leper wears a bell.

:D

Unfortunately, the length of your sigline means people are no longer warned that I am a detriment to this particular online community.

I hope you can live with yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

So the question here is can Green Bay's starters beat up on Chicago's JV squad?

No, the question here is "will the Bears repeat least year's errors?". In 2005, they thought it a good idea to rest their players in week 17, even though they had a bye, thus they had enough time to get rusty and be blown out by the Panthers at home.

Playing a Packers team desperate to win and claim a .500 record should be enough to keep the starting Bears sharp for two weeks after this game, which, IMO, is critical to their ability to play a playoff game.

Edit: It's taken tme ten f'n minutes to type this, I an, so f'n drunk it ids unreaL.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

We get to put Favre on the stretcher at night time now in primetime!!!! Suh-weet!!!! At least Madden will be able to say buh-bye to his lover. Can't wait to go to the game!!!!

Edit: I don't think he is retiring.

The stretcher?

Madden and everyone's lover now is LT.

Edited by Randall

- my standard bet with my good friend rr - whoever wins the season series (in the case of a split, decided by point differential) for 2 weeks

I think if both teams make the playoffs (which would mean a Packer win in this week's game) we hold off just in case they meet in the title game. Whaddaya say, rob?

I think if both teams make the playoffs (which would mean a Packer win in this week's game) we hold off just in case they meet in the title game. Whaddaya say, rob?

Sure....I'm cool w/ that! A GB/CHI playoff game!!!! :D I'd love to see that, even if it means a Chi loss this week! Is that sacrilegious? :D

Absolutely he should have hung it up because of the team around him (and put himself one year closer to the HoF that he richly deserves) but even more because Green Bay need to see what they have in Rodgers. If they're in rebuild model, which they are, then it would make more sense to rebuild with an entirely new team including QB.

So, how do you feel about Favre playing for a team that contended for a playoff berth into week 17? :D