[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Four places you've lived.

AtomicCEO

Someone emailed me something recently, and I thought I'd try it out here...

Four places I've lived in my life:

Southington, CT

Description: Apple-farming hicksville... well, as hick as you can get in central Connecticut.

The scene: We usually hung out at the dive karaoke bar near the truck stop... or drove to Hartford or New Haven, both 30 minutes away.

Rent/Mortgage: I paid $200/mo to share a 3 bdrm bottom floor apartment with 2 other people.

Ann Arbor, MI

Description: College town, and a nice one.

The Scene: Hanging out all summer with druggies on the Diag... learning to juggle clubs.

Rent/Mortgage: Lived with parent... no idea.

Poughkeepsie, NY

Description: Was a pit of despair and crime on the filthy Hudson river... has since become upscale.

The Scene: College bars that you had better not walk home from. 2 friends jumped, one shot.

Rent/Mortgage: I paid $172/mo to share a 3 story mansion with 6 other guys.

Boulder, CO

Description: Beautiful college town. Great climate year round. Close to skiing, great golfing.

The Scene: Every band you'd ever want to see. Hot chicks in skirts. Ride bikes everywhere.

Rent Mortgage: I paid $400/mo to share a 3 bdrm split-level with 2 other people.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold Spring NY

Description: Beautiful historic town on the Hudson. In the heart of the hudson valley. Directly across the river from West Point. Very artsy.

Woodstock NY

Description: In the Catskills. Again, very artsy. Beautiful mountains and valleys and such. Fishing, hiking, etc.

Flemington NJ

Description: Suburbia. Not the armpit of the US NJ is made out to be, but too much pavement and people all the same. Heartland of Pharmeceuticals. Near New Hope PA though which is a kick ass town that is much like the other two I was brought up in.

oh yeah, and White Plains NY

Description: Guidos, Guidets, Sangria and Bacci Ball. Man, do I love myself some bacci ball (and Sangria)

you getting all this BJ?

Edited by Duchess Jack

Cold Spring NY

Description: Beautiful historic town on the Hudson.  Directly across the river from West Point.  Very artsy. 

Woodstock NY

Description: In the Catskills.  Again, very artsy.  Beautiful mountains and valleys and such.  Fishing, hiking, etc.

1438626[/snapback]

When I lived in Poughkeepsie... we used to make trips to West Point to see real college football. And a lot of friends did interships at radio Woodstock, very nearby. I don't imagine many people made the reverse trip though... :D

When I lived in Poughkeepsie... we used to make trips to West Point to see real college football.  And a lot of friends did interships at radio Woodstock, very nearby.  I don't imagine many people made the reverse trip though... :D

1438648[/snapback]

WDST, the Bulldog...

Still a decent station, though not as unique as they used to be

Philadelphia, PA - crazy city, cluttered...amazing sports town and wouldn't trade it for the world

Ocean City, NJ - peaceful, 2 blocks from the beach...a breath of fresh air when you're away from home..

Daytona Beach, FL - Ocean City response x10...the whole southern atmosphere is relaxing in contrast to up north....I believe it's good to experience all atmospheres of the country....east coast, south, west coast and midwest.....at least during some point in your life..

Linwood, PA :D:D...run of the mill suburb town

cool idea......

Yankton SD - if they were to give the united states an enima..... they'd stick the hose in Yankton. Born there...... father was in graduate school.... left when I was 4. Have been back many times as I still have family there & other parts of SD. 100 degrees in the summer....... 50 below in the winter & flat as hell. On a clear night you could see Rapid City. :D:D

LaCrosse Wi. - consider it my hometown. Beautiful town of 50,000 right on the mississippi.... father taught school there for nearly 40 years. Excellent college town.... and one heck of a Oktoberfest celebration every year although it ain't what it used to be.

Back in the 70-80's..... it was insane. At one point LaCrosse was in the guiness book for most taverns per capita.... 162 bars in a town of 48,000. :D

Miami, Fl. - spent 2 years there in 83-85 & d*mn near died. Partied way too hard..... and walked on the fringes of acceptable behavior for 2 years. lived the south beach life..... & realized it wasn't for me.

Seattle, Wa. - they will bury me here. moved here in 94 and absolutely fell in love with everything about Seattle. mountains, ocean, year round golf..... skiing, hiking, pro sports scene.... it has it all.

I will never leave.

Eau Claire, WI -- Where I grew up. It's a college town--'bout 60,000 people. Spent many a night on Water Street.

St. Paul, MN -- Where I went to college. Between St. Paul and Minneapolis, there is always something to do.

Huntington Beach, CA -- Surf City USA. Lived about 1/2 mile from the ocean for 5.5 years. Miss it every single day. :D

Milwaukee, WI -- Brew City USA. Great blue collar town. There seems to be a festival every weekend during the summer--ample opportunities and reasons to drink.

Last 4 in order:

Lexington, VA

Small, scenic, historic town. Only two bars of note, and more drinking on the lawn of the law school and at pastoral farm houses. Most undergrads could not go to bars and using a fake ID would be violation of honor code. Very cool place. Lived w/ roommate in a cabin at the foot of a mountain on a river that you could tube down. Rent was $450/month.

Chattanooga

Industrial city on the rebound. Downtown was revitalized with brew pubs and nice bars. Still, single/young person scene was minimal for a city that size. I lived in an apartment with one other guy on top of a hill, at the foot of the mountains, and rent was about $650/month.

Houston

Huge sprawling city with every type of bar/club you could imagine. So large that my wife and I mostly stayed in the Galleria area. Great restaurants. Bad traffic. Our townhome in the Galleria was in a gated community, we paid my inlaws who owned it maybe $1,200/mo. Too large for me.

Beaumont

Industrial and mostly socially dead. Young person scene (pre-kids) was depressing and lame. We went/go to the beach a lot on the weekends and I adopted a love of in shore saltwater fishing. Still, its home and I love it ...

Miami, Fl. - spent 2 years there in 83-85 & d*mn near died. Partied way too hard..... and walked on the fringes of acceptable behavior for 2 years. lived the south beach life..... & realized it wasn't for me.

1438660[/snapback]

when I lived in Daytona...the only problem I had was the lack of good food and water pressure....but I sure did party way too hard....

being drunk, stumbling on the beach seemed like a good idea at the time :D

Some of the more interesting places... will put them in blocks of four:

Kodiak, AK

Thurso, Scotland

Norfolk, VA

Finegayan, Guam

=======================

San Diego, CA

Bremerton, WA

Newberg, OR

Salt Lake City, UT

=======================

Carlisle, PA

Erie, PA

Palmer, AK

Diego Garcia, BIOT

(Not in any order... sorry Big John)

Green Bay, WI - grew up in walking distance of Lambeau Field.

Platteville, WI - college, very rural, had to travel to Madison for any action.

Milwaukee, WI - (various locations around it) Had some redeeming qualities, but usually the big-city hassles without the big-city plusses.

Marietta, GA - Far enough from the city of Atlanta, but traffic is still a nightmare and everything is very spread out.

Ridley Park PA-Suburb of Philly lots of Colonial historic houses etc. Current

Ft Lauderdale Fla- Great party town 1980 and 1981, loved the people , the beach basically I loved it, should have stayed there.

Wildwood NJ.- Fun time when was young, working on the Boardwalk, girls , partying and more girls. I worked the season there for 5 years and did the Fla off season thing.

Glen Ellen, CA - sleepy wine country town

San Francisco, CA - cultural mecca and liberal fortress

Houston, TX - the blue-collar red-headed stepchild of American cities

San Jose, CA (aka Silicon Valley) - can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dot.com millionaire

Edited by yo mama

Ridley Park PA-Suburb of Philly lots of Colonial historic houses etc. Current

Ft Lauderdale Fla- Great party town 1980 and 1981, loved the people , the beach basically I loved it, should have stayed there.

Wildwood NJ.- Fun time when  was young, working on the Boardwalk, girls , partying and more girls. I worked the season there for 5 years and did the Fla off season thing.

1438708[/snapback]

Upper Darby Pa.- The Hood I grew up in.

so when did you live in Poughkeepsie?  Its like 20-30 minutes outside of Coldspring...

1438659[/snapback]

92-96. I never went to Cold Spring... but I was down in that area a lot. I used to work for a guy across the river in Cornwall. And... I used to be a camera assistant for WTZA when they broadcast the Hudson Valley Renegades games in Fishkill. :D

San Francisco,CA - Still the best place I have ever lived. You name it and they have it. Great neighborhoods, culturally diverse, and on the ocean. If I could afford it, I'd move back tomorrow. If you have never been, go, you won't regret it.

Little Rock,ARK - Little Rock in the mid-70's what a Culture Shock moving from San Fran. Lived there for 3 years and don't ever want to go back. It was close to the Southern branch of the family (Southern Ark - Northern LA) but it was just not my type of town.

Frankfurt, Germany - Second best place I have ever lived. The beer, the wine, the food, it was all good. Lived there for 4 years and wouldn't of left if the wife hadn't been homesick.

Tucson,AZ - Current home. Not bad, better then Phoenix (lived there also). Good sized city with a small town feel. Golfer's paradise. Surrounded my mountains, so it's stays a little cooler then other places in AZ. Too many strip-malls, and to few tech jobs. Mostly low wage service industries.

linwood, ridley and upper darby are like semi-distant cousins lol

1438720[/snapback]

At different time periods, Linwood is near me now though, you are real close.