[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Four places you've lived.

AtomicCEO

Wow, I am boring.

1438746[/snapback]

Mine are pretty mundane ... but wonderful places ... I've been fortunate.

Bristol, Vermont ... (Grew up there) Had a population of about 2500 people back then, classic New England small town, nestled in the mountains, great place to grow up.

Winooski, Vermont ... (Went to college there) Had a population of about 6500 people, nice college town, great place to go to school.

Exeter, New Hampshire ... (Lived there when we first got married for two years) Had a population of about 14,000 people, their private high school had a porche for a drivers' ed car while I drove a Plymouth Horizon, great place to be newlyweds.

St. Albans, Vermont ... Has a population of about 7,500; we've been here 16 years; easy access to the Green Mountains, the Lake, and Montreal; great place to raise a family.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lessee...in order...

Tacoma, WA -- six weeks as an infant

Prairie Village, KS -- next six years

Stilwell, KS -- next twelve years

Ft. Worth, TX -- next nine months

Radford, VA -- next two months

Lexington, NC -- next month

Brownstown, IN -- next three months

O'Fallon, IL -- next three months

Charlotte, NC -- next month

Las Colinas, TX -- next year

Dallas, TX -- next six months

Addison, TX -- next year

Roswell, GA -- next year

Texarkana, TX -- next two years

Roswell, GA -- next two years, nine months

Stilwell, KS -- next six months

Prairie Village, KS -- next two years

Overland Park, KS -- next nine months

...not bad for a non-military kid in his mid 30s...

I think I'm party gypsy.

Edited by muck

breckenridge, co- ski town

novato, ca- 30 min to sonoma/napa

larkspur, ca- similar, but nicer than novato

san diego, ca- beach, mexico is close

san francisco, ca- have it all: napa, tahoe, carmel...best restaurants, good sports scene, strong culture, liberal haven, sophisticated....

Shirley, MA - very run down

Eugene, OR - very cool college town, lots of hippie girls - I'd like to live there again

Ogden, UT - been here most my life. Slow social scene, but lots of outdoor activity which is what I'm into.

That's my whole life. :D

Raiders of the lost narc, now.

I thought NSob would like it... :D

1439164[/snapback]

Don't get to ballsy there Narc. :D

Eugene, OR - very cool college town, lots of hippie girls - I'd like to live there again

1439183[/snapback]

Rated the "greenest" city in America based on water quality, air purity, parks, recycling, and stuff like that.

I'm in Austin, we rank second.

Don't know what Kermit was grumbling about. It's awesome being green.

http://dancrall.blogspot.com/2006/04/eugen...city-in-us.html

Dubuque, IA-Small Private College, UD. Tony Danza would have been the only famous alumni had he graduated. He says to Angela on Who's the Boss gazing into her eyes, "Have you ever seen the lights of Dubuque at night?"

Grew up a 1/2 hour south of here. Right on the Mississippi with one bridge going in to Wisconsin and the other going into Illinois. Would likely be back there someday if there were any jobs.

Davenport, IA- One of the Quad Cities down stream of Dubuque. Not a bad area either, same job problems as Dubuque though.

Charlotte, NC- Very nice but they did not plan for the growth when making the streets :D

Austin, TX- Loving it more everyday. Nothing like the sights bouncing around Town Lake on a warm January afternoon. :D

Where abouts?

You know where Avery Ranch is?  Close to the intersection of 620 and Parmer, near the highland mall.

1439343[/snapback]

620 and Parmer is by Lakeline Mall :D I'm not far from there.

Thief River Falls, MN - Cold

Lake Bronson, MN - Colder

Grand Forks, ND - A little less Cold

Warroad, MN - Very Cold

Grand Forks, ND - Again, a little less Cold

Fargo, ND - Even a little less Cold

Phoenix, AZ - Hot

Chandler, AZ - Still Hot - oh, and Scorpions

I can do 4 easily...

Denver, Colorado: I really dug Denver. The Rockies are awesome (the mountains, not the baseball team), and there was some cool bars, and a seemingly never-ending supply of hot, down to earth chicks. :D

Honolulu, Hawaii: I really loved it here as well. Great weather, great beaches, bars open 'till 4:00 AM. What more does a guy need?

Fayetteville, North Carolina: Well, it's not known as the butthole of North Carolina for nothing. :D

Belmar, New Jersey: I grew up in Jersey, and I love it here. If ever in town, go to Angelino's Pizzeria on Main and 16th...it's the best ever.

Edited by Skrappy1

:D  :D  :D New Hope is about as gay as San Francisco

1438815[/snapback]

Still reading through the rest of the thread, but this is absolutely true and I was going to mention it. There are some cool old shops there, but it's definitely loaded with people who are not straight. Me and a buddy went there a couple of years ago and I went to a bar to grab a beer while he was taking forever in some record store...some dude ended up hitting on me. Luckily my buddy came in and I think ended up scaring the dude off. :D

Almost... I went through the Seminary process and I am an ordained Deacon, but then I changed directions just a couple of months before my Priestly ordination.

1438778[/snapback]

That about the time you met the Mrs? :D

Austin, TX - Absolutely, positively, one of the finest places to live in America. Beautiful scenery, intelligent population, and deep in the heart of Texas!

Lahaina, Maui, HI - Fantastic place to live for about 2 years if you are young, stoned, and single. Not a great place to live if you prefer to have a professional job and a wife/girlfriend. Get used to dating tourist chicks as the female to male ratio is roughly 1 female to every 6 guys (and the other 5 are good looking surfers). The 3 most romantic words in Hawaii are 'I'm leaving tomorrow'...awesome Josh Gordon though...I think I left one of my lungs over there :D

Wichita, KS - Was managing a restaurant chain at the time and the owner decided to build some stores up there...so I got elected to go help out and moved up there from Houston. I remember crossing the Oklahoma/Kansas border and thinking what a horrible, horrible decision somebody had made on my behalf...one of the most backwards thinking cities in the world I have to think...took me a year and a half of begging and then finally just getting myself fired so I could move back to Texas.

San Francisco/bay area, CA Definitely God's country, but God must be mighty broke cuz everyone and their mother wants all your money here for the view. I live 2 blocks from one of the top 10 black bass fisheries in the world so as long as my boat keeps running, I love it here!...

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

Huntington Beach, CA -- Surf City USA. Lived about 1/2 mile from the ocean for 5.5 years. Miss it every single day.  :D

1438676[/snapback]

Brother-in-law is getting re-married there in 2 weeks. I'll think about you while enjoying the sunset...

Four places I've lived in my life:

Norwalk. CA

Description: Suburb of Los Angeles. Diverse population.

The scene: 30 minutes by car to Disneyland/Knotts Berry Farm, 2 hours from Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead, less than 20 minutes by bike to the beach.

Rent: $1000ish

Marblemount, WA

Description: Small town. Survives on tourism.

The Scene: Part of the Cascade Loop in the Cascade Mountains. Last stop before you hit the National Park ranges. Bald Eagles and plenty of waterfalls to see.

Mortgage: $800ish, 3 Bd rm, 2 bath, with guest house. Skagit Riverfront property.

Oxford, England

Description: College town with plenty of accents.

The Scene: Loved it, pretty much a central launching pad to London, Wales, or Scotland. You want art, castles, or druid rock formations.. this is a place to live.

Rent: No idea, lived in a dorm.

Lakewood, WA

Description: Mixed population from the filthy rich to the urban jungle.

The Scene: Cultural explosion, you name it, the Seattle/Tacoma area has it. Mountains, ocean, greenery, live bands, art, museums, sports, and a fairly consistant cloud layer.

Mortgage: $1300ish, 3 bd rm, 2 bath, between 2 golf courses, no view of the lakes, can see Mount Rainier.

Costa Mesa, CA

I guess I can list this twice, as I was born/raised there, and have returned after living in the three spots listed below. Costa Mesa, growing up, was great. Plenty of parks, movie theatres, friends, youth sports... etc... Now, as an "adult", it has great dive bars, nice "art" scene: music, theatre, etc... Close to the beach, close to the mountains. Close to LA, close to San Diego... and close enough to Vegas... :D

Santa Barbara, CA

Quite possibly the most beautiful area on the planet. I spent about 4 years of my life here, and miss it dearly. Of course, it was during college... so there's plenty of memories to speak of... many of which involve getting drunk/high and having a grand time. But there's fabulous mountain biking, hiking, surfing, etc. Incredible restaurants, but not much in the way of "mall shopping". Plenty of students here, but some yuppies and a host of old folks.

Walnut Creek / Concord, CA

Lived in this area for a short time, and liked it. Alot like Orange County (where I'm at now) but with some better topography, more open space. Plenty of fun bars, good restaurants, close to San Francisco and Tahoe. Almost bought a condo in downtown Walnut Creek, which is somewhat yuppie.

Vallejo / Benicia, CA

The dark horse of the bunch. Vallejo was a pit, but Benicia was awesome. Small town nestled in the Delta area of the Bay Area. Quaint downtown with great dive bars. Met some real great people here. Beautiful scenery too. I miss it sometimes.

Side note: I am currently in Chicago. I LOVE this city. If it wasn't for the winters, I'd be here. Period. Heck, I may sack up and just brave it for a few years. There is NOWHERE like it. The food, the people, the buildings, everything... I don't wanna leave. :D

Shirley, MA - very run down

1439183[/snapback]

Very nice small city. Lived just outside and may move back. Close to mountains and beaches.

In no particular order:

1. Columbia, SC – Beautiful city, great people. I was stationed there while in the army. Shock me to come from an area like DC where people are rude and always in a rush to down there where everyone was nice. People would say hi to you and you could just feel the easiness of the city in the air.

2. Portland, OR – Amazing city. Very beautiful there, the hill sides and the big old image of Mt. Hood off in the distance. Great people. The women there are so hot they don’t even realize it. I saw some of the most taint scar looking guys walking around with hot women. They don’t even know they could do better…so that city was for me.

3. Annapolis, MD – I can’t even begin to describe this city. It’s one of those deals where you have to live here to understand it. The docks, the food, the atmosphere, the bars and the people, it does not get any better than this place.

4. Bowie, MD – Very deep, rich history. It’s a good town to raise a family but it’s starting to get too big. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie,_Maryland

Edited by cliaz

good to know.  I was going to say, why can't my parish get a cool priest who is into fantasy football?  Nothing, but old timers and young guns who are way too conservative.

1438784[/snapback]

My Minester is in two of my leagues. Bugger won one last year and came second in the other :D