[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Russ Springer throws at Barry Bonds.

whitem0nkey

:D If he is allowed to crowd the plate and wear all that body armer a pitcher shouldn't be tossed for hitting him. The inside part of the plate, contrary to popular belief, is part of the strike zone. I for one would love to see baseball adopt the old knees to logo size strike zone. :D

Guest Cherni
:D If he is allowed to crowd the plate and wear all that body armer a pitcher shouldn't be tossed for hitting him.  The inside part of the plate, contrary to popular belief, is part of the strike zone.  I for one would love to see baseball adopt the old knees to logo size strike zone.  :D

1473517[/snapback]

Good info here. You can't pitch inside anymore, it's terrible. I watched Mets v Cards last night, Eckstein crowded the plate, Glavine came in on him and he actually leaned into the pitch. Glavine stood there, hands on hips quite pissed at what just occured. It should have been called a strike, not a hit batsmen. No one tries to get out of the way and the armor definitely has something to do with it. Get rid of that chit and hitters will start to fear the inside pitch again.

Agreed. There is so much wrong with baseball and it's rules it's difficult to know where to begin, but how about Buerhle allowing seven runs in the first inning against the Twins but only being charged with one because of an error? Guess what? It was HIS error! How can that be right? I can see how a pitcher shouldn't suffer because of his team mates, but if the error is his, so should the runs be.

That's just one, don't get me started on Hit By Pitch and a ton of other BS rules.

Guest Cherni
Agreed.  There is so much wrong with baseball and it's rules it's difficult to know where to begin, but how about Buerhle allowing seven runs in the first inning against the Twins but only being charged with one because of an error?  Guess what?  It was HIS error!  How can that be right?  I can see how a pitcher shouldn't suffer because of his team mates, but if the error is his, so should the runs be.

That's just one, don't get me started on Hit By Pitch and a ton of other BS rules.

1473748[/snapback]

AND HE GOT THE WIN!!!!

Guest Cherni
yeah  i think that was the first time in 100 or 106 years that a starter allowed 7 runs in the first and got a win.

Oh and good point Ursa Majoris, i did not think about that.

1473785[/snapback]

The only other pitcher to win after giving up seven runs in the first was the St. Louis Cardinals' Jack Powell, who did so against the Cubs, but came back to get the win in a 10-7 victory on Sept. 29, 1900.

I love the "this is what's wrong with baseball and I hate it" conversations, because it always involves people who watch and follow the game.  :D

1473810[/snapback]

I am confused by your funny comment. Are you saying I am not an imformed baseball fan?

I am confused by your funny comment.  Are you saying I am not an imformed baseball fan?

1474235[/snapback]

Not at all, it's just a CONSTANT how baseball "fans" lady dog about the game.

:D If he is allowed to crowd the plate and wear all that body armer a pitcher shouldn't be tossed for hitting him.  The inside part of the plate, contrary to popular belief, is part of the strike zone.  I for one would love to see baseball adopt the old knees to logo size strike zone.  :D

1473517[/snapback]

Well he pitched about 5 right near him before actually hitting him there was intent.

Guest Cherni
As a MLB pitcher....should it really take FIVE pitches to hit a nonmoving object the size of Bonds??

BM

1479379[/snapback]

You should probably ask Shawn Estes, remember him throwingbehind Clemens after the whole Piazza thing? What a good teammate. :D

Guest Cherni
this guy has a history of hitting barry...... are you Rosie O'Donnell really saying that's ok?

1479715[/snapback]

I don't know the history between Barry and Springer. However Barry stands on top of the plate with more armor on his body than anyone else in the game. He crowds the plate and makes you pitch him outside. He has no fear with all the armor on. In order to beat Barry you have to throw inside, it's absolutely necessary to make him back off the plate. IF you don't throw in on him he will beat you every time. He's a machine even if he's struggling right now.

That being said, after throwing behind him and then throwing a few more really tight pitches, that's messed up. If he hit Barry the first pitch, whatever, that's part of the game. If you miss on your first attempt you have to back off.

In the case of Shawn Estes he threw behind Clemens in an obvious attempt to hit him. However after that he, as most pitchers would, resumed pitching normally. He didn't try again and again.

I don't know the history between Barry and Springer. However Barry stands on top of the plate with more armor on his body than anyone else in the game. He crowds the plate and makes you pitch him outside. He has no fear with all the armor on. In order to beat Barry you have to throw inside, it's absolutely necessary to make him back off the plate. IF you don't throw in on him he will beat you every time. He's a machine even if he's struggling right now.

lmao.. i am quite familiar with barry and pitcher's strategy on how to pitch him.  reality is that he hits inside pitches just fine.  struggling with them this year due to bone chips in elbow, and knee.  can't turn on pitches. again, people act as if he's the only one.  his poor media relations have truely hurt him in recent years

That being said, after throwing behind him and then throwing a few more really tight pitches, that's messed up. If he hit Barry the first pitch, whatever, that's part of the game. If you miss on your first attempt you have to back off.

this guy has hit him on several occations..... should barry be allowed to take his bat to the mound and kick the crap out of him?

In the case of Shawn Estes he threw behind Clemens in an obvious attempt to hit him. However after that he, as most pitchers would, resumed pitching normally. He didn't try again and again.

1479739[/snapback]

Guest Cherni
lmao.. i am quite familiar with barry and pitcher's strategy on how to pitch him.  reality is that he hits inside pitches just fine.  struggling with them this year due to bone chips in elbow, and knee. can't turn on pitches. again, people act as if he's the only one.  his poor media relations have truely hurt him in recent years

1479788[/snapback]

Well first off if you were familiar with the strategy of getting him out you would know why they pitch him inside. You need to keep him honest, back him off the plate. I watched the replay and the tight pitches were not as tight as they looked. Barry is on top of the plate every at-bat. They were inside, but certainly not inside enough to hit most people in the league.

In one breathe you say he hits inside pitches just fine and the next sentence you say that he's struggling with them this year. Well, we're talking about this year, not years past when he was (most likely) on steroids. Barry is hitting .000 in the upper inside zone, .125 middle in, and .000 lower inside. So it appears as pitching inside to Bonds is absolutely necessary as I mentioned above. You can't leave a ball over the plate, the guy is hitting .462 when you leave a hanger, and he's hitting a whopping .714 (no pun intended) on the upper outer section of the plate. You're playing with fire if you don't pitch inside and I can't blame people for trying.

Well first off if you were familiar with the strategy of getting him out you would know why they pitch him inside.

i know exactly what pitchers try to do with him. don't need you to tell me.

In one breathe you say he hits inside pitches just fine and the next sentence you say that he's struggling with them this year.

his struggles this year have less to do with his technique, strategy, or flaws in his swing.  there is no inconsistancy in my stating 2 facts in one sentence (both are true)

Well, we're talking about this year, not years past when he was (most likely) on steroids.

actually i am talking about a history of one pitcher hitting him (i beleive it's with intent).  and even "skinny" barry could turn on inside pitches....that's not roids imo.

Barry is hitting .000 in the upper inside zone, .125 middle in, and .000 lower inside. So it appears as pitching inside to Bonds is absolutely necessary as I mentioned above. You can't leave a ball over the plate, the guy is hitting .462 when you leave a hanger, and he's hitting a whopping .714 (no pun intended) on the upper outer section of the plate. You're playing with fire if you don't pitch inside and I can't blame people for trying.

any pitcher should try to establish his plate with any particular batter (and in turn, so should the batter..part of the game).  i specifically have a prob with this guy because it seems he is doning more than just trying to establish the inside corner.    it seems like a lot of you are saying he should be intentionally hit....

1479858[/snapback]

Guest Cherni

The fact is that Barry Bonds has a lot more trouble hitting inside pitches than pitches on the outside of the plate, moreso in the last 5 years than any other time in his career. If you knew Bonds you would know that he does a hell of a lot better with outside pitches, it's common sense in the baseball community, and it's shown in his numbers.

His struggles this year have to do with him taking the needles out of his ass and playing all natural. And when you do that, at his age, you're not gonna hit 50+ HR's. And the history that you're talking about between them? It's nothing. Barry is 1 for 6 against Springer with 1 HR and before the last game, Springer hit him in the shin a few years back. In the shin Bier. That's not where pitchers hit batters intentionally, they just don't.

I don't know what your problem is concerning this issue. Barry crowded the plate, Springer moved him off the plate, and then he hit him. It's part of the game, he was ejected, move on. Maybe Barry will stand further off the plate. Wait, no he won't, he wears all the armor so it doesn't matter :D

Barry's the greatest bum to ever play the game and it's pathetic that he's mentioned in the same breathe as The Babe, there is no comparing the 2. Babe is in a class that Barry couldn't even dream about.

His struggles this year have to do with him taking the needles out of his ass and playing all natural.  And when you do that, at his age, you're not gonna hit 50+ HR's.

absolute BS!  the guy is an amazing hitter (never was a 50+ guy in the 1st place), but a hr threat in every ab.  his failures this year have nothing to do with roids (or lack thereof).  i believe this is the thrid time he's hit him in less than 10 appearances against springer

I don't know what your problem is concerning this issue.

it's a problem of a guy intentionally going after another (where the one doing it throws at 90+mph).  it this case, it happens to be bonds and as a result people applaud it and encourage it. imo that is wrong.

Barry's the greatest bum to ever play the game and it's pathetic that he's mentioned in the same breathe as The Babe, there is no comparing the 2. Babe is in a class that Barry couldn't even dream about.

different discussion all-together.  imo neither is an ambassador for the game.  would haved loved to see each face the pitchers of those other era's.  i personally think bonds would have matched ruth's numbers back then, but don't think ruth would match barry's in this era.

1480072[/snapback]