[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pistons/Heat

Puddy

And I might add...does Ben Wallace know what a pick and roll is? He seems so intent on rebounding or picks on offense, that when the opportunity has presented itself, he hasn't taken the lane to the hoop for the roll. Maybe it is just the few games I've watched, but Ben isn't looking to score much and it looks like the Heat simply key on the Pistons that score.

And...I do like Ben Wallace, by the way.

Billups and Wade in the backcourt with Rip as the really really small SF... or heck, just a 3-guard lineup with the Wallaces?  With Prince off the bench?  Scary good. 

Then again, no one really knew Wade would be THIS good... THIS fast... Honestly, last night, watching him rip apart the Pistons, I thought to myself "OK maybe WADE is the 'next Jordan', while LeBron is the 'next Magic'".  :D

1492091[/snapback]

No, I used to watch him all the time at Marquette and knew he'd be good, but this good-no, but still Darko #2. That seemed crazy at the time.

The same was said about Jordan. "We knew he'd be good but no one thought he'd be the man."-James Worthy

And I might add...does Ben Wallace know what a pick and roll is?  He seems so intent on rebounding or picks on offense, that when the opportunity has presented itself, he hasn't taken the lane to the hoop for the roll.  Maybe it is just the few games I've watched, but Ben isn't looking to score much and it looks like the Heat simply key on the Pistons that score.

And...I do like Ben Wallace, by the way.

1492114[/snapback]

Ben Wallace doesn't EVER look to score, pick and roll or not. As amazing as he can be on the defensive end, his lack of offense and inability to shoot a free throw drives me frickin' nuts at times. There is some talk of him bolting this year via free agency if a team offers him max money. If a team does offer him the max, they can have him. I'd love to keep him but not with his limitations for that cash.

I agree- I think Ben is such an offensive liability, with the way the game has changed to an uptemp, open style, he is not worth big $$. No way is he worth a max deal. I think he is overrated to be honest, and only works well for Det., who is so talented 1 thru 4.

No, I used to watch him all the time at Marquette and knew he'd be good, but this good-no, but still Darko #2. That seemed crazy at the time.

The same was said about Jordan. "We knew he'd be good but no one thought he'd be the man."-James Worthy

1492245[/snapback]

I will probably take some heat for this but when I saw him at Marquette in the NCAA tourney I thought he was very much worthy of the 2nd pick. He played in that tourney like he plays now in the 4th quarter, consistantly. Getting to the rack and finishing and drawing fouls, legit and non legit ones. He's right up there with Lebron.

I will probably take some heat for this

1492544[/snapback]

:D

Maybe you did, but I've always felt it is unfair to criticize a specific GM for not taking a player who wasn't even considered as one of the options at the time. The only decision was Darko and Carmelo. Joe Dumars isn't the only who felt this way, many of the teams were of the same mindset. So if folks want to criticize for taking him over Anthony, I think that is fair as he was the only other consideration at the time. If you want to blame him for passing on Wade, Bosh, etc. then the criticism is fair for every GM at the time, not just one team.

Maybe you did, but I've always felt it is unfair to criticize a specific GM for not taking a player who wasn't even considered as one of the options at the time.  The only decision was Darko and Carmelo.  Joe Dumars isn't the only who felt this way, many of the teams were of the same mindset.  So if folks want to criticize for taking him over Anthony, I think that is fair as he was the only other consideration at the time.  If you want to blame him for passing on Wade, Bosh, etc. then the criticism is fair for every GM at the time, not just one team.

1492557[/snapback]

I heard Sonny Vaccaro (one of THE authorities on college hoops prospects, and pro prospects in general) say on the radio that there were rumblings of Darko even going BEFORE LeBron, depending on who got the 1st pick. Obviously with the Cavs getting the #1, there was no question who they were taking. Vaccaro noted that according to scouts, Milicic had Nowitzki offensive talent with a crazy good defensive game. :D Who knows, maybe someday he'll pan out. He sort of came on strong after the trade to the Magic, posting some nice block/board stats. If he ever is a 20+ ppg scorer, though, I'd be rather shocked.

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned when Ben blocked Shaquille.  Shaq went down like a sack of potatoes, little wussly!

1494756[/snapback]

I'm afraid to talk too much trash at this point.

It was a nice play and a very well-played game defensively, but being down and heading back to Miami, my bragging will remain limited.

Maybe you did, but I've always felt it is unfair to criticize a specific GM for not taking a player who wasn't even considered as one of the options at the time.  The only decision was Darko and Carmelo.  Joe Dumars isn't the only who felt this way, many of the teams were of the same mindset.  So if folks want to criticize for taking him over Anthony, I think that is fair as he was the only other consideration at the time.  If you want to blame him for passing on Wade, Bosh, etc. then the criticism is fair for every GM at the time, not just one team.

1492557[/snapback]

The worse thing about the whole deal(besides the players we could of got)..we traded Darko and he showed he can play with Orlando. I expect him to have a excellent season next year.

I'm a Heat fan and I'm nervous. As I said after game 1, I won't believe it until I see the Heat take 4 of 7.

That being said, if the Heat make their FTs, that would have been a tighter game. As well as the Pistons played, guess that makes me feel good about the Heat going into Game 6. I guess.

:exhales:

Now on to the Mavs, who are a freaking matchup nightmare for the Heat.

That's about the worst game I've seen the Pistons play in 3 years. I'm thrilled for the Heat, but the Pistons missed a ton of open shots.

Bye bye Pistons.  :D

1497044[/snapback]

Must suck to have your sports highs be Patriot or Pistons losses. Maybe one day one of your teams will win something, one day.

The Heat will get crushed against the Mavs in the Finals.

1497089[/snapback]

My Mavs have to get there first. But I have to say Id much rather see a 2 star Heat team, than a 5 star Piston team in the Finals. Detroit lost a huge opportunity for another title. I think they would have been a nightmare for my Mavs. Prince on Dirk would have been deadly. Rip coming off picks would eat them alive, and Sheed would force Diop on the perimeter, while Ben mopped up the boards. Chauncy's size would eat up Harris or Terry. Man over a 6 game series, Detroit would have probably embarassed Dallas. So as a Mavs fan, Im thrilled to see Miami if the Mavs can get one more W vs Phoneix.

My Mavs have to get there first. But I have to say Id much rather see a 2 star Heat team, than a 5 star Piston team in the Finals.  Detroit lost a huge opportunity for another title.  I think they would have been a nightmare for my Mavs.  Prince on Dirk would have been deadly.  Rip coming off picks would eat them alive, and Sheed would force Diop on the perimeter, while Ben mopped up the boards. Chauncy's size would eat up Harris or Terry.  Man over a 6 game series, Detroit would have probably embarassed Dallas.  So as a Mavs fan, Im thrilled to see Miami if the Mavs can get one more W vs Phoneix.

1497098[/snapback]

Accurate and realistic stuff here. Things are falling the Mavs way but it may take the 7th game to get past the Suns. If it goes 7, I don't see the Mavs falling at home.

• 10 months later...

Any team that has Shaq and Wade with Riles as a coach will not be "crushed" by anyone. Dream on!

I had to revive this thread after reading it again replying to this post. Yeah, Wade is coming off injury and that is excuse enough but still a crushing by the Bulls against essentially the same Heat team.

Also me and Hook going at it and now Hook's team has won something so he's got the current last laugh.

Broncos05 team getting swept this year. He's a bandwagon fan so it probably didn't hurt that much.

Flipside saying the Mavs will crush anyone.

With the Mavs potentially going down I think the Pistons have a decent shot at winning it all. Bulls series will be extremely tough and then of course the Suns in the finals if the Mavs do lose to the Warriors.

I don't think the Nets or Cavs can beat the Pistons.

Edited by chiefjay

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time, I didn't watch a single NBA regular season game. I decided it was just an unwatchable product after last year. But, I have been watching some play-off basketball. The new rules about the whining and crying after every foul have seemed to help. I enjoyed watching the Suns/Spurs. It's too bad those suspensions happened, as that series deserved a Game 7. But I knew those guys were suspended as soon as they showed the replay. You can't leave the bench area. Ron Artest did the same thing a few years ago. Didn't even get involved in the fight, just walked a few paces from the bench and he got suspended. There was no doubt in my mind Diaw and Stoudamire were gonners.

As for Cavs/Pistons. I have no idea how the Cavs are staying in these games. The Pistons are clearly the better team. The Cavs are so uncreative. Perhaps it's not uncreative. Perhaps it's untalented. There offense is horrible. LeBron has to try and stop bulling his way to the basket trying to draw fouls. That being said, Hamilton should have been called for a foul in the waning seconds of Game 2. He was just throwing his body and arms into James and had established no position. We probably should enjoy it, cause in a few years, Lebron will be getting all the calls . . .

Oh, and I still hate Rasheed Wallace.

Edited by CaptainHook