[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Picking 5th

I am picking fifth. How would you go in picking your positions?

RB, RB, WR?

RB, RB, RB?

RB, WR, RB?

My draft tool is telling me to go after Portis, Boldin, then highest RB.

I've got the 4th pick in a draft and am thinking RB, WR, RB.

What Big Country said. You've got to focus on picking the players who have the best value early on and not worry about what position they are at.

You shouldn't rely on a draft tool to tell you the best value either. You need to have some knowledge and instinct to guide your choices too.

Edited by Crazysight

No guarantee either of those guys will be there, then what do you do? As the rounds progress, you will need to adjust your strategy based on who is left. Make sure you know your league scoring system well, and keep filling in the roster with the best value. Don't paint yourself into a corner and end up passing up a solid player because your cheatsheet says its time to pick a TE. :D

Your first pick should be a RB. Portis is going 4th in a lot of Leagues, you'd still have Tiki, Ronnie, James, etc. Your second round should be based on value (already expressed) depending on how your league goes. It's always good to start off with two good RB, but if a good WR or QB falls on your lap be ready to take advantage of it.

Your first pick should be a RB. Portis is going 4th in a lot of Leagues, you'd still have Tiki, Ronnie, James, etc. Your second round should be based on value (already expressed) depending on how your league goes. It's always good to start off with two good RB, but if a good WR or QB falls on your lap be ready to take advantage of it.

I dont think I would take Peyton with my 2nd round pick. 3rd round I would, but not 2nd.

I dont think I would take Peyton with my 2nd round pick. 3rd round I would, but not 2nd.

You would not pick Peyton on 16 (10 teams) or 20 (12 teams) on a second round? He's a steal at that point and it only means that most of the RB are gone (with a couple of WR). You'll probable have Parker, K. Jones available in the 3rd round.

How many teams are drafting and what's the scoring?

I wouldnt take him unless my best option at RB in round 2 was something like Jamal Lewis or Kevin Jones. Usually one pretty good RB will drop to 16 depending on the WR taken (someone like Lamont or JJ). And, if you do take Peyton with pick 16 or 20, you'll probably end up with a #2 RB in the ilk of Deshaun Foster, Deuce, or another RBBC fellow. Lets say you took a RB in round 2 instead and draft a QB in round 3 (a little early for my tastes, but it makes the arguement),

you have:

Tiki

Julius Jones

Carson Palmer

vs.

Tiki

Deuce

Peyton

Ill pick the first one most times.

How about:

Tiki

Peyton

Willie Parker or Kevin Jones or Foster

JJ gets tired with too many touches and he's still an injury risk (a little less than Foster). Marion Barber will be the 3rd down back for Dallas (Duce for Steelers). JJ probably has more of an upside with a better offense around him. Still...

KJ and Foster have such an upside as well.

Palmer is injured and Peyton is for sure gunning this year with the Edge gone.

Really good argument.

Then again....

BTW: Sorry for hyjacking this thread

The names I threw out were just for the sake of an argument. Willie parker wont last to 24/28 in any competent leagues, and if he does, that means there should be an even better option with the round 2 pick. Basically its either

One top 5 RB (Tiki, Portis...)

A decent RB (JJ, Willie, DD, Carnell)

Tom Brady or Chad Jonhson (and this is even a stretch, could get a good WR then pick Tom/Hasselback in round 4)

vs.

One top 5 RB

Peyton

a RB without a sole starting job or a bad one with a starting job (Kjones, Deuce, Deshaun).

A successful fantasy team lives and dies by its RB (with only a few exceptions). I just dont think its wise to take an upgrade in QB (I think that losing Edge hurts him) to take a very large downgrade in RB.

BTW: Sorry for hyjacking this thread

The names I threw out were just for the sake of an argument. Willie parker wont last to 24/28 in any competent leagues, and if he does, that means there should be an even better option with the round 2 pick. Basically its either

One top 5 RB (Tiki, Portis...)

A decent RB (JJ, Willie, DD, Carnell)

Tom Brady or Chad Jonhson (and this is even a stretch, could get a good WR then pick Tom/Hasselback in round 4)

vs.

One top 5 RB

Peyton

a RB without a sole starting job or a bad one with a starting job (Kjones, Deuce, Deshaun).

A successful fantasy team lives and dies by its RB (with only a few exceptions). I just dont think its wise to take an upgrade in QB (I think that losing Edge hurts him) to take a very large downgrade in RB.

Balance is the key...RB, WR, RB

Edited by jakesdad

RB at 5 is a must.....if you do not take one there you are looking at a low tier 2 at best. I would see what is on the board with your number 2 but be looking at a tier 1 WR, then get your second RB with your next pick. By letting the RB pass you with your number 2, there will be less talent taken off the board, but if you let the WR go, you may fall from a top 5 WR to a top 10.

RB at 5 is a must.....if you do not take one there you are looking at a low tier 2 at best. I would see what is on the board with your number 2 but be looking at a tier 1 WR, then get your second RB with your next pick. By letting the RB pass you with your number 2, there will be less talent taken off the board, but if you let the WR go, you may fall from a top 5 WR to a top 10.

Really good point. :D

Not really. While that may be true, the difference will be between a Torry Holt and Hines Ward or Santana Moss, while with RB you'll have the difference of a Jamal Lewis or a Willie Parkie (A RB with sole starting job) and a Deuce or Reggie Bush (one thats a RBBC).

You would not pick Peyton on 16 (10 teams) or 20 (12 teams) on a second round? He's a steal at that point and it only means that most of the RB are gone (with a couple of WR).

Peyton Manning is a tremendous value at the 16th or 20th pick...in and of himself.

Unfortunately, it's the opportunity cost that will kill you. You will spend the rest of your draft trying to catch up with the other owners and you'll be forced into one poor value pick after another.

Don't take my word or the other guys' word for it though. Do a half dozen mock drafts and take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. By the time you're done, you'll see what we mean.

Peyton Manning is a tremendous value at the 16th or 20th pick...in and of himself.

Unfortunately, it's the opportunity cost that will kill you. You will spend the rest of your draft trying to catch up with the other owners and you'll be forced into one poor value pick after another.

Don't take my word or the other guys' word for it though. Do a half dozen mock drafts and take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. By the time you're done, you'll see what we mean.

Exactly! :D

Exactly! :D

RB worship. :D:D

Truth is: Holmes - injured; McGahee - stunk; McCallister - injured; Jamal Lewis - was never himself; Kevin Jones - stunk; Curtis Martin - injured, stunk. What do they all have in common... :D the were all selected in the first 2 rounds of 2005 FFL drafts. :D

Every year you'll have from 5-7 RB taken in the first 2 rounds do bad, extremely bad. There are household names and luck plays a big part of it. You can play by the book and be safe... that will not win you a championship. Take a risk (as educated as possible), maximize your leagues's scoring system (some greatly favor QB) and go from there.

Bottom line, look at what's available on a round per round basis.

Truth is: Holmes - injured; McGahee - stunk; McCallister - injured; Jamal Lewis - was never himself; Kevin Jones - stunk; Curtis Martin - injured, stunk. What do they all have in common... :D the were all selected in the first 2 rounds of 2005 FFL drafts. :D

Every year you'll have from 5-7 RB taken in the first 2 rounds do bad, extremely bad. There are household names and luck plays a big part of it. You can play by the book and be safe... that will not win you a championship. Take a risk (as educated as possible), maximize your leagues's scoring system (some greatly favor QB) and go from there.

Bottom line, look at what's available on a round per round basis.

Yes... sorry for stealing your thread

What has that got to do with anything? Every year there are players that get injured or perform far below their average draft position: QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs, Ks, IDPs...you name it. That's part of the game. It has nothing to do with strategy.

However, as long as we're on the subject, here's where the top ten QBs, based on total fantasy points per the Huddle scoring system, finished in 2005:

1.) Carson Palmer 258

2.) Tom Brady 254

3.) Michael Vick 238

4.) Peyton Manning 237

5.) Eli Manning 235

6.) Drew Bledsoe 228

7.) Drew Brees 225

8.) Matt Hasselbeck 224

9.) Kerry Collins 219

10.) Brett Favre 218

Last year I drafted LT2 in the 1st, SJax in the 2nd, Owens in the 3rd, Steve Smith in the 4th, and Hasselbeck in the 5th. I waited on my QB until I had a pair of starting RBs and a pair of starting WRs. Although part of it was due to drafting from the No. 2 slot in a 12 team league, I was ahead of the curve the entire draft.

What did it cost me to pass on Manning? 13 fantasy points over the course of an entire season. Not to mention the fact that Hasselbeck saved his best for last (the fantasy playoffs) while Manning was resting up for the NFL playoffs.

Would I like to have Manning as my starting QB in 2006? Of course I would. Would I be willing to essentially draft the rest of my roster a round behind everyone else to do it? Absolutely not.

Now obvioiusly if your league scoring places a crazy premium on QBs that's different, but in most leagues, it's just not worth it. Not even for Manning.

Edited by tomfin2000

A lot of opinions from guys who haven't asked the most basic of questions...

Q: What are the lineup requirements?

Q: What are the scoring rules?

Q: How many team in the league?

Q: Any thing to note regarding "keeper" status from year to year?