[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cell Phone in Swimming Pool

Dutch Oven

LOL, always buy the insurance. You should know by now that women screw up everything. My wife has lost one phone and dropped the other in the pool. I have to laugh when people don't pay for the insurance unless it is a cheap cheap phone, why get the top of the line phone in a promo and then not buy the insurance when the phone costs as much as the contract termination? :shakeshead: :D

Prior to this, I had the same phone for over four years with no problems. I did not foresee this development, but I will purchase the insurance from now on. Lesson learned.

I've bought more than my share of "Extended Warranties". In the long run the company issuing it is usually the only one that benefits from them.

Yup, agreed, but we're not talking about a TV or a Stereo and such, we are talking about something small that can break under normal life circumstances, that such is life I guess. I never even hesitated to buy the insurance as electronics and I don't mix, but I don't buy the ones that go with other electronics, they are never worth it IMO, now a small little phone, heck yeah, especially when they cover it for anything. If I called the warranty place for my TV and said yeah I got the extended warranty for my TV, they say what's wrong with it, oh well my son pulled it off the entertainment center and it broke, they'd probably say tough luck, now with a phone they'd just replace it no questions asked. You can only do so many claims a year, I think it's two.

Anyway not to be negative, sorry about your luck, just get the insurance next time :D

Cell phones are just about the only thing I buy the "extended warranty" for. It's paid for itself many times over.

I've had a cell phone since ~1993. Never bought the insurance and never needed it. I bought it for some cordless phones and made out. But like ALL insurance....if it makes you sleep better at night....BUY IT!

I've had 4 different cell phones over the years, and I've never broken any of them. And I'm an irresponsible clumsy mf'er who carries his phone with him everywhere. :D

:D Me too! W/ the 18 month upgrade plan and the insurance at ~$4/ month, I'll stay uninsured.

You might laugh at this, but it worked once for me with a water-logged watch.... If the hair-dryer doesn't do it, try putting the phone in the oven, at the lowest possible temperature setting. With my watch, the heat evaporated the moisture and it started working again. I would only suggest this if you are 100% sure the phone is not working and you have nothing to lose. Like I said, try it at a low temperature (150 degrees or so). My watch eventually quit working again, but the oven got me another 6-8 months before I had to buy a new one.

If all else fails, contact a part-time FedEx employee. Cell phones are their most popular theft item, so you could probably get one for cheap.

I've had 4 different cell phones over the years, and I've never broken any of them. And I'm an irresponsible clumsy mf'er who carries his phone with him everywhere. :D

I broke my previous cell during my bachelor party. That one cost something like $60 so whatever...

...the new one (Audiovox something or other with the world's worst digital camera built in) retailed for $200+ so I figured it was worth 4 bones a month over 2 years to make sure nothing stupid happened to it.

. If the hair-dryer doesn't do it, try putting the phone in the oven, at the lowest possible temperature setting. With my watch, the heat evaporated the moisture and it started working again. I would only suggest this if you are 100% sure the phone is not working and you have nothing to lose.

If you try this just make sure you remove the battery first!

So I let the phone sit in the sun all day yesterday with the battery out. I put the battery back and plugged the phone in the charger last night, and all the screens and lighting works, but it says it is unable to charge. Could this be a battery problem or is the charging mechanism in the phone busted? Cingular won't give me a straight answer--they just want me to buy the new phone.

How old is the phone? If it's less than a year old, you maybe in luck. I dropped my phone in the ocean and my wife broke hers as well. Both times we got new phones. I do not carry the insurance. With 3 phones at 5 bucks a month, I'm not doing it. Anyway Cingular, as well as most carriers do have a return policy. Your phone should have a manufactures warranty for one year. I'm pretty sure they all do. Just like when you buy almost anything they come with some kind of warranty, usually for one year.

I let my phone dry out completely. Took off the battery, used a blow dryer, etc... Cingular has an exchange by mail program that they don't tell anyone about for some reason :D . Call them and tell them that your phone doesn't work. It worked fine yesterday but today nothing. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU DROPPED IT. Just that it was ok now it's not. They will send you a new phone. Just replace your SIM card, which should be fine, and then use the box they send (with postage that they also send. BONUS!) and send them the old phone back. It's that easy.

I was afraid I might get busted but I have a feeling they just chuck the old phones or send them to a refurbing company to re-sell them. Here's the number.

This is copied from the Cingular support site:

QUESTION:

How do I replace a broken phone?

What do I do if my phone is damaged?

What is my warranty?

ANSWER:

If you believe your phone is damaged and you've owned it between 30 and 365 days, you may be eligible for our Exchange by Mail program. To exchange a defective phone you can call 1-800-801-1101 or visit our Web site.

You can access Cingular Returns Online in from the My Account home page by selecting the Exchange Your Phone link in the Phone/Device box under the Mobile Information section or by clicking here: Cingular Returns Online (logged in users only)

We'll then help you troubleshoot your problem to see if it can be self-corrected. If the problem persists and your phone is still under warranty, we'll send you a replacement phone. Once you provide your address and agree to the Terms and Conditions, we'll ship your replacement via FedEx® or UPS®.

When your replacement arrives, return your original phone in the packaging provided. We'll even preprint and prepay the return shipping label for you! (Cingular will charge for expedited shipping or phones that are not returned or arrive damaged.)

However, if your phone is no longer under warranty and you have lock\line® cellular phone insurance, you should contact lock\line® at 1-888-562-8662 to file a claim.

Note: You must be registered and logged into My Account to perform this transaction online. For assistance with login and registration, please choose one of the following topics:

Just make sure you play dumb and tell them you have no idea why your phone doesn't work.

Edited by 'canes2004