[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Constitutional Amendment on Flag-Burning

wiegie

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far I have read nothing in this thread that has caused me to waiver from the sentiments I expressed in my original post:

Agreed. Admittedly, I was one of a few who would at least listen to why someone would want to make a flag burning amendment...after reading through people's sentiments, I now feel very strongly that Congress should move on to more substantive issues.

Edited by I Like Soup

I couldn't find what I was looking for, but I'll look again tomorrow.

However, I do now believe that this should be a state by state issue and not a national one.

You think the states can violate the First Amendment in a way that the federal government cannot?

Can I burn Rainbow flags at the state capitol? Would I make the news?

Q1, Yes, unless you were nailed for a breach of the peace or something.

Q2, Probably, as a footnote for a laugh.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

So if the American flag was burned, which it will once it is legal to do, if it made the news... would you laugh?

:D

So if the American flag was burned, which it will once it is illegal to do, if it made the news... would you laugh?

Edited by SuperBalla

You think the states can violate the First Amendment in a way that the federal government cannot?

I do not believe its a violation of the 1st amendment, but I do not think that the federal government has the authority to enact this as a constitutional amendment.

I do not believe its a violation of the 1st amendment, but I do not think that the federal government has the authority to enact this as a constitutional amendment.

The federal government technically has the authority and that is not the issue. The courts have set the precedent on the constitutional "limits" of free speech in which burning a flag clearly falls into. If this amendment was ever established it would be struck down.

What rationale do you have to support your belief of flag burning being a violation of the 1st amendment? :D

Edited by bushwacked

Ok,

Forgive me for I have sinned, it has been 3 months since my last attendace in the Tailgate.

This issue perfectly captures all that is good and bad about both parties....

Bear with me. First of all, other than those saying they would burn the flag if it was outlawed, no one here has really supported burning the flag...which other than happening under specifically sanctioned circumstances has happened exactly "37" times. I have seen one instance of flag burning here in my life... April 25, 1976...and Rick Monday stole the flag from the guys who wanted to burn it in the outfield of a game between the Cubs and Dodgers I think. I still get goose bumps...

I am conservative, still vote republican, but become increasingly disappointed at the lack of questioning by conservatives, and the utter lack of a better way by the libs.

Most of us, not all, still think we are independent. Almost everyone here would do what Rick Monday did if they had the chance...so what is it really that is worth fighting over here?

I dont think we need to amend the greatest document in government history to tell us something is wrong. I think we need to be more critical of our elected officials to spend more time on issues that can really make a difference.

Seriously...If Hillary Clinton authored this bill the Repubs would have killed it...this isnt about right or wrong..its about making a comercial to get elected.

I swear, sometimes I think what this country really needs a third party and term limits.

I am conservative, still vote republican, but become increasingly disappointed at the lack of questioning by conservatives, and the utter lack of a better way by the libs.

Uh Oh...looks like the Hyena's are going to call you stupid cause they are wrong. Why are people so sympathetic to flag burning, baby killing, paying taxes, and tYpIkaL beauracracy?

Uh Oh...looks like the Hyena's are going to call you stupid cause they are wrong. Why are people so sympathetic to flag burning, baby killing, paying taxes, and tYpIkaL beauracracy?

Ill take my chances...you know, the whole sticks and stones thingie... :D

Nice reading comprehension, dumbass. He said he's against a constitutional amendement. That's been the "hyena" argument all along.

Nice reading comprehension, dumbass. He said he's against a constitutional amendement. That's been the "hyena" argument all along.

:D:D:D

u got it in there before me

ilove how balla lumps it all together :D:D

Ok,

Forgive me for I have sinned, it has been 3 months since my last attendace in the Tailgate.

This issue perfectly captures all that is good and bad about both parties....

Bear with me. First of all, other than those saying they would burn the flag if it was outlawed, no one here has really supported burning the flag...which other than happening under specifically sanctioned circumstances has happened exactly "37" times. I have seen one instance of flag burning here in my life... April 25, 1976...and Rick Monday stole the flag from the guys who wanted to burn it in the outfield of a game between the Cubs and Dodgers I think. I still get goose bumps...

Most of us, not all, still think we are independent. Almost everyone here would do what Rick Monday did if they had the chance...so what is it really that is worth fighting over here?

I dont think we need to amend the greatest document in government history to tell us something is wrong. I think we need to be more critical of our elected officials to spend more time on issues that can really make a difference.

Seriously...If Hillary Clinton authored this bill the Repubs would have killed it...this isnt about right or wrong..its about making a comercial to get elected.

I swear, sometimes I think what this country really needs a third party and term limits.

Well, if you only post every three months and then come back with a good post like this, maybe having three months off is worth it.

I'm not of the same politics as you and might take issue with the term limits you mention but otherwise there is nothing in your post to argue about. We all should pressure our representatives to stop this grandstanding and address the real issues.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what you believe. It matters what the Court says. Flag burning is protected by the First Amendment, subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions (e.g., a law prohibiting burning anything on the steps of a government building would be perfectly fine).

As the federal constitution is what protects flag buring, it would have to be an amendment to the federal constitution to ban it. State laws and constitutions cannot violate the federal consitution. Thus, it is a federal issue.

If this amendment was ever established it would be struck down.

:D If the Constitution were amended to prohibit flag burning, the Amendment couldn't be struck down - it would be part of the Constitution just as the First Amendment is.

:D If the Constitution were amended to prohibit flag burning, the Amendment couldn't be struck down - it would be part of the Constitution just as the First Amendment is.

Exactly. It is for this reason that constitutional amendments are extremely serious matters that should not be bandied about as election fodder. What is done is not easily undone.