[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Constitutional Amendment on Flag-Burning

wiegie

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But please, please, dont burn the symbol of our nation, the thing that unifies democrats, republicans, immigrants, and born and bred Americans alike.

Yes the flag is the symbol of this Great nation, but the constitution IS this great nation.

I think there should be a constitutional amendment against burning the constitution.

Word, even though I have one of those 70's butterfly collar T-shirts with the constitution written on it that I want to frame and put above my HD TV, I will never let my wife burn it.

Thats the thing. When I said accomplish nothing, I meant nothing positive.

When you burn a flag, you arent just saying "Screw the government." You are saying "Screw You" to every one of the 216+ million American citizens. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican or Independent or Green, we are all united by the flag. Burning it does not help the unity, it destroys it. For example, once I posted my original reply anti-flag burning, I was assumed to be a Republican which I'm not.

Republicans yell to support our troops and government and democrats say to support to the troops but not the war, to even more complicated extents. But whether you hate or love this or any administration, we can all agree that the stars and stripes unify this country and symbolize our deepest roots. We can all support the flag with no bearing on the government.

Which is why I think flag burning is a good idea. I do not think that people who speak out against a war or a president is anti-American. However, if someone burns a flag, they have crossed the line from anti-president or anti-administration to anti-America, which is something I am NOT cool with.

Thats the thing. When I said accomplish nothing, I meant nothing positive.

When you burn a flag, you arent just saying "Screw the government." You are saying "Screw You" to every one of the 216+ million American citizens. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican or Independent or Green, we are all united by the flag. Burning it does not help the unity, it destroys it. For example, once I posted my original reply anti-flag burning, I was assumed to be a Republican which I'm not.

Republicans yell to support our troops and government and democrats say to support to the troops but not the war, to even more complicated extents. But whether you hate or love this or any administration, we can all agree that the stars and stripes unify this country and symbolize our deepest roots. We can all support the flag with no bearing on the government.

Which is why I think flag burning is a good idea. I do not think that people who speak out against a war or a president is anti-American. However, if someone burns a flag, they have crossed the line from anti-president or anti-administration to anti-America, which is something I am NOT cool with.

I think that your point can be summed up as "I think that buring a flag is really offensive to some people, so the Constitution of the United States should be amended to give Congress the power to make the desecration of the flag illegal." Just leave it at that.

How many political protests ever really "accomplish" anyting positive? Vietnam probably (some wouldn't even consider that positive), but it took years. Wearing "Screw Bush" shirts? Ridiculous.

How many protests unify anything? None. If we were so unified, we wouldn't be protesting.

Certainly, the protections of the First Amendment are not limited to speech that "accomplishes something positive" or "unifies."

The idea that flag burning somewhow divides the country is ridiculous. First, and again, how many times has anyone ever seen the thing? A handful of those 216 million plus citizens? Second, I'm sure that most Americans don't like the idea of it. The way some people put it, you'd think that half of us dance with glee at the sight of a burning American flag. (Even if that were true, we wouldn't be dancing very much would we?)

Its the idea of flag burning that gets people upset. My message? Sack up. Burning a flag never hurt anybody.

It strikes me odd that the people who rail about the "libs"and their political correctness - you know, that we have to prevent people from being offended - are likely to support this Amendment, which is unquestionably the pinnacle of political correctness.

Let's jump back to 2003. As a CNN crew is taping, an Iraqi citizen, in protest of Saddam Hussein's government, burns the Iraqi flag. The Iraqi police spring from the crowd to handcuff her and take her to an awaiting squad car. How would have most Americans reacted? "Good for them. I'm sure that the flag means a lot to the veterans of the Iraq-Iran War."

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Furd

Whats the matter? You can't handle it?

It's not like flag burnings are rampant. Find some recent examples on US Soil. I'll wait. :D

When it happens, you are free to think, say, or carry a sign declaring that the person who did it is a total ass. Blackball that person. Kick them off your property. Refuse to service them at your business. You have those rights.

just think that burning the flag offends the normal everyday american more than it offends some ahole politician. there are plenty of other ways to protest the government.

just think that burning the flag offends the normal everyday american more than it offends some ahole politician. there are plenty of other ways to protest the government.

You know why you can't just make a local, state, or federal law prohibiting burning the flag? Because the Supreme Court decided that any law like that would violate the first amendment of the Constitution.

The FIRST amendment.

To prohibit flag burning, you would need to go back to the very first amendment and put limits on it.

Man, you must really be a patriot to love the flag so much that you'd screw up the most basic principles of our country to protect it. :D

Idiot. You have no idea what the flag represents.

You know why you can't just make a local, state, or federal law prohibiting burning the flag? Because the Supreme Court decided that any law like that would violate the first amendment of the Constitution.

The FIRST amendment.

To prohibit flag burning, you would need to go back to the very first amendment and put limits on it.

Man, you must really be a patriot to love the flag so much that you'd screw up the most basic principles of our country to protect it. :D

Idiot. You have no idea what the flag represents.

Dude, Democrats live in a pre-9-11 world. Republicans live in a pre-1787 world. Remember, Bush said the Constitution is just a "goddamn piece of paper." :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Remember, Bush said the Constitution is just a "goddamn piece of paper." :D

I don't think anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence disputes that modern day big government Republicans place political correctness above the constitution.

I was wondering why you were talking about it?

In case you missed it the first time around...

Now, I hope the author is wrong and this is just a bunch of BS gossip, but if true...heck, with the way the Bushies act, It wouldn't be a very large stretch of the imagination to see it being true...

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

In case you missed it the first time around...

Now, I hope the author is wrong and this is just a bunch of BS gossip, but if true...heck, with the way the Bushies act, It wouldn't be a very large stretch of the imagination to see it being true...

And, to the Bush Administration, the Constitution of the United States is little more than toilet stained from all the chit that this power-mad despots have dumped on the freedoms that "goddamned piece of paper" used to guarantee.

This is yer author...speaking his uh...rational reporting of Politics without Partisanship. :D